“Lack of compassion”

DoubleTree by Hilton London Greenwich
Ranked #172 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Firstly whilst I recognise that it was not Mercure's fault for the main problem; the lack of compassion and leniency was.

I was due to stay at Mercure Greenwich on 31/5/14. It was to be a weekend with my mother, celebrating the completion of 3 years of nursing training. Unfortunately due to a death within the family we were unable to attend. I did try to ring the hotel to inform them of our non-attendance but they neglected to answer the phone. Obviously due to the circumstances I was unable to sit on the end of the phone until they decided to answer, plus it should only require one phone call.

The following day I emailed the email address stated on the mobile version of the website asking if due to the exceptional circumstances would they mind refunding the price paid or letting us attend another day (our preferred option). After several days of no response, I went back to the website on my laptop. The website had had a redesign or was different to their mobile version. It included a new and totally different email address (the email address is still different on their mobile version website). I forwarded my original email to the new address.

They responded the following day stating that they could refund the amount but only on the say so of Lastminute.com (the travel agent I booked through) and with a copy of the death certificate. This in itself is insulting as it implies that they don't believe the reason for our non-attendance and is accusatory that I would lie about such thing. Even if I could supply the death certificate, I wouldn't because it is so personal to the family and cannot guarantee its confidentiality. As it is, the death certificate is yet to be issued, awaiting a post mortem and coroners inquest so would be some time before it is issued. I explained the circumstances but still no help stating that as the reservation had gone as no show then nothing could be done and to seek a refund from LastMinute.com. As previously mentioned it would not of gone as a no show if they decided to answer their phone. A phone call made even in distressing circumstances. To insinuate that I'm the kind of person who doesn't show up for things without informing people is the second insult.

Some people will be reading this and thinking well its not Mercure's fault that we didn't attend and I have already acknowledged that, it isn't their fault. During this 2 day trip to London we were meant to be having afternoon tea, theatre tickets and a spa day the next day. The company for the afternoon tea have refunded, the theatre tickets and spa day have very kindly swapped the date to another day. What is even more disappointing is that we cannot attend the new date as we have no accommodation. This was a one off trip for celebrating an achievement so we cannot afford to pay for the hotel again. The new date we have for the spa day and theatre is midweek so I find it unlikely that the hotel will be fully booked, its not as if its a weekend.

Mercure do have a cancellation/amendment room policy if you book directly with them but because I booked through an agent it doesn't apply. They were prepared to refund but only on production of the certificate of which I've stated above why it cannot be produced, regardless of the fact it is insensitive to ask for it.

I've left this review as I find it poor that a 4* star hotel with normally great reviews can be so uncompassionate and insensitive toward exceptional circumstances.

I can only comment on two things about the hotel. When booking for parking they charge £12 to those who haven't booked directly through them (found this out after reading TripAdvisor reviews), its free if you book with them. When booking the parking, the staffs English wasn't brilliant and it should not require a 10 minute phone call to do so.

Think its a case of wont help rather than cant help.

2  Thank Anon E
Janine W, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Greenwich, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Dear Guest, I am genuinely sorry that a death in your family meant you were unable to travel and take advantage of staying with us. I completely understand that losing a loved one is distressing and please let me assure you that it was certainly not our intention to add more grief to the situation. The advantage of booking a non-flexible reservation is that the rate is lower but the booking therefore is not amendable or refundable and such is clearly stated in the terms and conditions. Even though the T&C’s are confirmed by the time of making the booking we are flexible when it comes to unforeseen and difficult circumstances our guests may face and we therefore allow guests to amend their arrival date or offer a full refund. Since you have not booked directly with us you will need to contact Lastminute.com and address the matter with them. However, please do not hesitate to contact me directly on jweiss@the-greenwich.co.uk if I can be of further assistance and I very much hope that you will be able to settle the matter as quickly as possible.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,884)

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Easy access to central London from the trains from Greenwich, only a 5 minute walk to the tube station from the hotel. Staff was friendly and welcoming upon arrival and room was comfortable. We had some issues with the power in our room and the staff came up promptly to reset the breaker. The breakfast was pretty good as well, choice of buffet or you could order off of a menu. Overall, was a comfortable stay!

1  Thank adery89
Janine W, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Greenwich, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you for your kind review. I am delighted you had an enjoyable visit and that you could benefit from the hotels convenient location for central London. Really glad to read that the team made you feel welcome and looked after you during the stay. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

A short train ride from London Bridge or Cannon Street to Greenwich, main line so in fact very easy to get into central London. and 5 min walk to hotel. Staff always friendly helpful and rooms might be small, but light and airy and well equipped. Remember to pay for your breakfast if you want one at reception when you book in cheaper. Breakfast worth having, many dishes freshly cooked. Evening meal fine, but I cannot agree with the previous reviewer, there are places to eat near the hotel/ The North Pole produces a very good meal, not cheap, but with most things in life you get what you pay for. Last year we went to Davey;s wine bar as well and that is very acceptable. I you do not want to do the 10min walk into Greenwich, then just hop on a bus, for eating places, but I have not tried them

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank walkingWakefieldUk
Janine W, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Greenwich, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit and we very much hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

My wife and I booked this on Hotwire and got an amazing rate of only 89GBP/night. After receiving our key card, we tried opening the door but it didn't work. We went back to the front desk and got a new card, but then the A/C didn't work. The room was very hot and I informed the staff that if I couldn't get a room with A/C then I would cancel my room and seek a different hotel. They told me the hotel was fully booked, but then 5 minutes later, they moved us to the room next door where everything worked.
Here's the kicker...in the room next door had a bunch of amenities that were missing from the first room. Bath robes, slippers, dental and sewing kits, drinks in the fridge, etc. None of these items were in the defective room and my guess is that the awesome Hotwire rate reflects this. It really seemed like a bait and switch situation and it was upsetting to say the least.
Outside of that, the hotel was very elegant and the staff was extremely helpful. The courtyard was very nice and the breakfast is well worth pre-paying 10GBP for. It had a wide selection of meats, eggs, fruits, breads, juices and so forth.
The rooms are very small and the bed nearly touches both walls. You literally have to hop across the bed to reach the other side. Also, there is half of a shower door and water gets on the floor when washing.
The location is a bit of a haul, especially if you want to see all the standard London attractions. The area directly around the hotel doesn't offer much in the way of restaurants or pubs. Most of the dining and shopping in Greenwich is located at Cutty Sark. And don't let the map fool you, it's quite a walk to Cutty Sark. Better to take the DLR and pay 1.5GBP.
I would not recommend this hotel for folks who want to see London. Try Canary Wharf instead.

Room Tip: Don't book on Hotwire.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank holysnappers
Janine W, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Greenwich, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I can only assume that you booked a standard room and were upgraded to a privilege room free of charge as our privilege rooms do come with extra amenities and toiletries. I am really sorry however for the inconvenience caused with regards to the air-conditioning which was not functioning. I am disappointed to read that you were not keen on the hotels location even though it takes only 20 minutes by DLR to reach London (Bank station) but really glad you were able to get a good deal with us. Please visit our website to avail of our fantastic offers should you decide to stay with us again. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

The Mercure in Greenwich was a truly great experience. The hotel was very clean, extremely friendly staff and well situated for our needs. The staff were very efficient and professional at all times. Would not hesitate to book another stay at this hotel in the future.

Room Tip: A great place to stay
Review collected in partnership with Mercure Hotels
1  Thank Jean H
Janine W, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Greenwich, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you for your kind review. We are truly delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us and were happy with the hotels location. Really glad also that you found the team efficient and friendly at all times. Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we are looking forward to have you here with us again.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed in the hotel for 2 nights and was very impressed at the design and overall layout of the hotel. The hotel looks very chic and modern. £15 in a tax I to the O2 and a short walk to the train station. The bar area was lovely and restaurant looked lovely.. all the artwork, mirrors and lights where fabulous.

2 problems for us where: -

We asked for parking when we booked this hotel, but no room our car once when we arrived so had to park on the street and pay the meter charge, even though we could see spaces in there car park from our room. we where in a rush to go to the O2 so no time to argue. The next day my husband told them we would be leaving as not topping the meter up every 4 hours. eventually (thinking they would lose a nights room fee) they managed to squeeze our car into the car park.

Not only that our loo was very temperamental (we where in room 904) and only flushed now and again so me and my husband had to use the hotel reception loos (nine floors and 2 slow lifts down) we asked for someone to look at it and the handy man said it was an ongoing issue for £194 a night I expected a working toilet.

No apology for either of our issues so wont be returning which is a shame as lovely hotel.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 904
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jules8377
Janine W, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Greenwich, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I am sorry that not everything was perfect. We cannot give car parking spaces away if all spaces are reserved but we do find that sometimes not all guests who have reserved car parking take advantage of it. This then allows us to assign the space to another guest. I can confirm that we have now reviewed our inspection process to ensure issues such as you have experienced with regards to the toilet flush do not re-occur in future. We are sorry that we let you down on this occasion but invite you to give us another try and hope to see you see you again soon.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

I recently stayed here for 5 nights and i was very happy with the hotel. The room was perfect for our needs. We were on the ground floor which was great. The bedroom and bathroom was decorated really nice. As for the staff i have to give 5 stars for them alone as they were very attentive and polite. Couldnt ask for better staff! I would definately stay here again as it is close to the trains/bus centre and is a nice walk down into Greenwich. I loved my stay at the Mercure Greenwich!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gemma R

Dear Guest, We are truly delighted with your kind review and pleased that you had an enjoyable visit. Thank you for praising our team members and rest assured that your comments will be shared with them. We very much hope to have you here with us again soon.