“Nice hotel, wonderful service.”

DoubleTree by Hilton London Greenwich
Ranked #164 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed 6 July 2014

A nice and wonderful hotel in Greenwich, easy access to Greenwich attraction like Cutty Sark, Maritime Museum, Observatory by Underground. Comfortable bed and wonderful staff and service. The breakfast is quite good and the hotel has a lovely restaurant. However, our room on the first floor had only small windows which were high up above our heads, so no views at all. The room was comfortable, though.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Janine W, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Greenwich, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear guest,
Thank you so for your feedback. I am glad you have enjoyed your stay with us and I hope we will be able to welcoming you back soon
Bruna Vila Verde

Write a ReviewReviews (1,846)

Reviewed 6 July 2014

If you are aiming to stay in London and you want to have great, close and quick connections to the city centre, but you want to be based somewhere less hectic with its own attractions, then Greenwich is for you. A market, great places to eat, the Maritime Museum, the park and Observatory, plus a short walk to Blackheath with its many fine drinking-eateries - and all a short DLR away from the city centre. Staying south of the river is the best way to do London in my opinion, you are close to the South Bank and London Bridge/Southwark (and its great food market) and away from the sometimes stressful pace of central London and the West End.

I would rate the Mercure as the best and most comfortable place to stay if you are going to do this. Immaculately clean, comfortable, quiet and very close to two DLR stations. But the thing that stays with me is how professional and helpful the staff are - compared to the sometimes sullen and officious receptions you can get at other London hotels.

One final thing, I have stayed at this hotel on three occasions and I have always been impressed. Recently I booked a non-refundable stay at the hotel through a third-party website, and then my wife was unexpectedly diagnosed with cancer and had to have surgery and I had to cancel. The hotel staff were incredibly helpful and were able to help me get a full refund, something that they did not have to do given the type of booking made. To me this is extremely professional and shows a great sense of empathy and care for their patrons. Naturally, the next time I stay in London I will book the Mercure.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SeamusBeoirgra

Dear guest,
Thank you so much for your kind words.
I am delighted by your comments. These will certainly be passed on to the teams.
We're happy we could help on this difficult times and we hope to welcome you both back very soon.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Stayed three nights as a Le Club Platinum member. No room upgrade offered even upon request. I was told that the Privilege rooms were not available, however they were certainly bookable on accor.com for the dates of my stay when I checked after arriving in my room. No special greeting or the so called VIP treatment as a Platinum member. Modern and still new and fresh room, even if very, very small. The hotel building itself is quite nice and the hotel bar was also worth a visit. Quick wifi is a plus. Unfortunately the location is not the best. It took me 95 minutes on the tube from Heathrow to Deptford Bridge with two changes. You also need a tube change to go from the hotel into Oxford street or Knightsbridge/Kensington. The area surrounding the hotel looks rather tired. I would definitely not stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank OsloGlobetrotter2013
Janine W, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Greenwich, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Dear guest,
Thank you for your feedback and please accept my apologies for the challenges faced during your stay. As you know complimentary upgrades are offered upon availability and I could only think that perhaps the type of room was not available for the total duration of your stay. Being on the South East side of London it does take around 1 hour and half to reach us either by public transportation or by taxi (depending on traffic). I will certainly reiterate with the team regarding your Platinum status and the need to provide a more VIP welcoming to guests of your category. Despite these constraints I do hope you will give us the chance to welcoming you back soon in our hotel.
Assistant Front Office Manager

Reviewed 5 July 2014

For a start, when reading other reviews I noticed people saying the bar was expensive, so it put us off drinking in there. We decided one night so have a drink and just pay whatever it was. We had two spirits with mixers plus two pints and it came to £17. To me that is no different to most of the bars in London so I am not sure what the problem was with some people! We also got free nibbles with our drinks. The whole hotel is stunning. You walk in up a red carpet into a reception so clean and well decorated. Ok, so it may not be luxury to some people, but bearing in mind we chose it as it was cheaper per night than the Premier Inn was going to be, we got a lot more than we thought we might. The rooms were very clean, and comfortable. People have complained about the glass sliding doors to the bathroom, but the bathroom is around the corner not in full view and if you are sharing a room with someone who watches you in the bathroom you have other problems to worry about!! Do be aware that to work the air conditioning and lights you need to put your doorcard into the slot next to the control unit. This appears to be an energy saving thing so lights don't get left on. If your card is in you can use all electrics but when you take out you cant. It doesn't matter as you only need to take out when you leave the room anyway. It shows the hotel cares about the environment whilst still providing excellent service. We didn't pay for breakfast as we thought it a bit expensive at £10, but then we ended up spending that one day when out for probably less food! If we stayed again we would go for the breakfast. The centre of Greenwich in only twenty minute walk and DLR station is closer, but you can't hear trains going. The hotel is near run down area but the area it is in is lovely and you will always get good near bad everywhere. The staff were very helpful and clearly did a god job. Would definitely recommend if you want a very clean well presented hotel.

Room Tip: Having seen some people mention generators I would maybe say you want a quiet room. We were on floor...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,
Thank you so much for your review. I hope other potential guests will find it useful. I'm glad you have enjoyed your stay and we very much look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Mercure Hotels

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Booked this hotel as we had tickets for the O2. From checking in to checking out all of the staff were helpful, courteous, welcoming and friendly. Room was spotlessly clean, comfortable, light and airy. Breakfast was plentiful and good value! The location of the hotel is good for the O2 and Greenwich. Also the transport (DLR) links make central London easily accessible.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Janine W, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Greenwich, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Dear guest,
Thank you for your lovely feedback. It will certainly be passed on to the teams.
We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed in the hotel in June '14. Rooms were very clean, with more than enough space for two people. We were placed in the basement, but there was still plenty of light coming in, although, and we never quite figured it out, it just looked as though people walking past would be able to see down and in without any problems (the window overlooked the bed).
I think the thing I found the strangest was the bathroom door - I had read comments about it before booking the hotel but didn't think it would be that big a deal - basically, there may as well not be a door. It's this glazed, but still very much so see-through door, with some history stuff written on it, and while I realize it's just meant to be a design thing, it also means you have to be extremely, if not TOO comfortable with the person you're staying with. Being a couple, it really didnt matter showering or anything else-wise, however, as the toilet is right next to the door, it also means you can not just hear but see the other person sitting on the toilet. And quite frankly, unless that's the sort of thing you're into, I just think there's some lines that should not be crossed. It just really leaves you with no privacy whatsoever.
Another thing was that there are no hair dryers. I didn't ask because I was in a rush, so I am unsure if they have a 'hotel dryer' that they might lend out, but that's just a guess. But I've been in 3 star hotels before that have had a hairdryer and when you've got long hair, not a lot of time and somewhere to be, it really makes a difference and in this case, I had to leave the room with my hair completely wet, it's only lucky it wasn't cold outside. Even if they did have a hotel dryer its a bit of a nuisance to have to be going to get it everytime you need to use it. Additionally, once I got inside my room I had to make an urgent phone call, and I tried and couldnt so I rang reception who told me that I need to have left them my credit card details and only then do they enable you to call, though nobody told me this, so keep in mind if you need to make phonecalls.
Overall, quite a decent hotel for a bit of a casual trip, would definitely not recommed for business customers, or two or more people in the room that you're not prepared to get rather close with.
Also, just thought I'd mention, while breakfast wasn't included in our price, they gave me the option which was 10gbp if you sign up the day before, and 15 if you wake up and decide you want it. I said no, though in the morning we woke up hungry, but we decided to go and find something outside instead seeing as the day was lovely. We walked through the breakfast room and I have to say it all looked rather sad and slim. We ended up going to a place just down the road (about 5-7 minute walk) called Royal Teas, which I'd really recommend - very tasty and extremely cheap, for 20 pounds altogether we ordered more than we could eat, and the cafe is gorgeous.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,
Thank you for your feedback. I can assure you that your comments have been communicated to the relevant departments and are currently being investigated as we attempt to avoid future occurrence. It saddens me that your stay did not meet your expectations and for that please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.
I do hope you will give us the chance to welcome you back in the future and provide you with a genuinely hassle free stay in our hotel.
Assistant Front Office Manager