“Not too central, but central enough”

DoubleTree by Hilton London Greenwich
Ranked #171 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Room was a decent size compared to some of the box rooms I have seen in hotels in e.g. Euston. It is close to Deptford Bridge station which has good connections through the DLR. The dinner was really nice and the restaurant staff are excellent.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Janine W, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Greenwich, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Dear guest,
Thank you for your feedback. Please rest assured your comments will be passed on to the restaurant team.
We look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Bruna Vila Verde

Write a ReviewReviews (1,887)

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Finally arrived at the hotel, through rush hour traffic, & given our room (304) It was the smallest room I've ever stayed in! Not enough room for 2 people to move around in & my husband banged his head on the TV when closing the blind. However, the hotel itself was very smart & well presented. The bar was comfortable & welcoming. Would not be happy to walk around the area at night alone, but ok if you are with someone. We used the hotel as a base to get to the O2 & it only a short Taxi ride or 20 minute tube ride via the DLR (1 change) to get there.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,
Thank you for your comment and my apologies for the room allocated to you and your husband. We thank you for your feedback and we truly hope you will give us the chance to welcome you back soon in our hotel.
Best regards.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Stayed one night at this chic and modern hotel. On arrival you are greeted by friendly and very professional reception staff. We booked the suite near the top floor which has floor to ceiling windows with views overlooking London; was amazing at night!! The room was big with temperature controlled A/C, fridge and coffee machine. The bed was huge and very comfy. The bathroom was small, but the large walk in shower was worth it along with plenty of towels and two bathrobes. Everything in the room and hotel was spotless. An ice machine is located along the corridor. We had a drink in the lounge/bar area which is littered with interesting features, along with a beautiful staircase leading down to the restaurant. We went elsewhere for dinner, but did have the buffet breakfast which has a good variety of choices and was delicious, again staff very helpful and friendly. The hotel is a little out of Greenwich, with a good 15mins walk to Greenwich park where you can walk through passing the observatory, Naval college and taking in the wonderful views of London along the way. On arrival to the town, you have the market which is a must see, tour of the Cutty Sark, lovely bars, restaurants and much more.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Janine W, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Greenwich, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear guest,
Thank you so much for your kind words. I am so glad you have enjoyed your stay and we hope to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

A nice and wonderful hotel in Greenwich, easy access to Greenwich attraction like Cutty Sark, Maritime Museum, Observatory by Underground. Comfortable bed and wonderful staff and service. The breakfast is quite good and the hotel has a lovely restaurant. However, our room on the first floor had only small windows which were high up above our heads, so no views at all. The room was comfortable, though.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear guest,
Thank you so for your feedback. I am glad you have enjoyed your stay with us and I hope we will be able to welcoming you back soon

Reviewed 6 July 2014

If you are aiming to stay in London and you want to have great, close and quick connections to the city centre, but you want to be based somewhere less hectic with its own attractions, then Greenwich is for you. A market, great places to eat, the Maritime Museum, the park and Observatory, plus a short walk to Blackheath with its many fine drinking-eateries - and all a short DLR away from the city centre. Staying south of the river is the best way to do London in my opinion, you are close to the South Bank and London Bridge/Southwark (and its great food market) and away from the sometimes stressful pace of central London and the West End.

I would rate the Mercure as the best and most comfortable place to stay if you are going to do this. Immaculately clean, comfortable, quiet and very close to two DLR stations. But the thing that stays with me is how professional and helpful the staff are - compared to the sometimes sullen and officious receptions you can get at other London hotels.

One final thing, I have stayed at this hotel on three occasions and I have always been impressed. Recently I booked a non-refundable stay at the hotel through a third-party website, and then my wife was unexpectedly diagnosed with cancer and had to have surgery and I had to cancel. The hotel staff were incredibly helpful and were able to help me get a full refund, something that they did not have to do given the type of booking made. To me this is extremely professional and shows a great sense of empathy and care for their patrons. Naturally, the next time I stay in London I will book the Mercure.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SeamusBeoirgra

Dear guest,
Thank you so much for your kind words.
I am delighted by your comments. These will certainly be passed on to the teams.
We're happy we could help on this difficult times and we hope to welcome you both back very soon.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Stayed three nights as a Le Club Platinum member. No room upgrade offered even upon request. I was told that the Privilege rooms were not available, however they were certainly bookable on accor.com for the dates of my stay when I checked after arriving in my room. No special greeting or the so called VIP treatment as a Platinum member. Modern and still new and fresh room, even if very, very small. The hotel building itself is quite nice and the hotel bar was also worth a visit. Quick wifi is a plus. Unfortunately the location is not the best. It took me 95 minutes on the tube from Heathrow to Deptford Bridge with two changes. You also need a tube change to go from the hotel into Oxford street or Knightsbridge/Kensington. The area surrounding the hotel looks rather tired. I would definitely not stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Kenneth G

Dear guest,
Thank you for your feedback and please accept my apologies for the challenges faced during your stay. As you know complimentary upgrades are offered upon availability and I could only think that perhaps the type of room was not available for the total duration of your stay. Being on the South East side of London it does take around 1 hour and half to reach us either by public transportation or by taxi (depending on traffic). I will certainly reiterate with the team regarding your Platinum status and the need to provide a more VIP welcoming to guests of your category. Despite these constraints I do hope you will give us the chance to welcoming you back soon in our hotel.
Assistant Front Office Manager

Reviewed 5 July 2014

For a start, when reading other reviews I noticed people saying the bar was expensive, so it put us off drinking in there. We decided one night so have a drink and just pay whatever it was. We had two spirits with mixers plus two pints and it came to £17. To me that is no different to most of the bars in London so I am not sure what the problem was with some people! We also got free nibbles with our drinks. The whole hotel is stunning. You walk in up a red carpet into a reception so clean and well decorated. Ok, so it may not be luxury to some people, but bearing in mind we chose it as it was cheaper per night than the Premier Inn was going to be, we got a lot more than we thought we might. The rooms were very clean, and comfortable. People have complained about the glass sliding doors to the bathroom, but the bathroom is around the corner not in full view and if you are sharing a room with someone who watches you in the bathroom you have other problems to worry about!! Do be aware that to work the air conditioning and lights you need to put your doorcard into the slot next to the control unit. This appears to be an energy saving thing so lights don't get left on. If your card is in you can use all electrics but when you take out you cant. It doesn't matter as you only need to take out when you leave the room anyway. It shows the hotel cares about the environment whilst still providing excellent service. We didn't pay for breakfast as we thought it a bit expensive at £10, but then we ended up spending that one day when out for probably less food! If we stayed again we would go for the breakfast. The centre of Greenwich in only twenty minute walk and DLR station is closer, but you can't hear trains going. The hotel is near run down area but the area it is in is lovely and you will always get good near bad everywhere. The staff were very helpful and clearly did a god job. Would definitely recommend if you want a very clean well presented hotel.

Room Tip: Having seen some people mention generators I would maybe say you want a quiet room. We were on floor...