“Great hotel”

Ibis London Blackfriars
Ranked #250 of 1,068 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersPlatinum level

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Israel
Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

Located very close to a tube station and walking distance to the south bank, the rooms are clean, functional and quiet. Breakfast is recommended and has a wide selection of food. Overall good value and decent with friendly service.

1 Thank alonsegs
Ibis London B, Assistant General Manager at Ibis London Blackfriars, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Thank you so much for your positive review ! I am pleased to see that you have enjoyed the quality of our breakfast and the friendliness of our team. I hope we will have the chance to welcome you again in the future !
Colchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2014

As I was attending an evening event at the Tate Modern, I needed accommodation that was local, easy to get to/from mainline station and not break the bank. Ibis Blackfriars ticked all the boxes.

The hotel is 2 mins walk (even with suitcases) from Southwark Tube (on Jubilee line so handy for Waterloo, Waterloo East, London Bridge, Stratford) and then the Tate Modern is an easy 10 min walk. In fact the hotel is handy for all the South Bank attractions, St Paul's Cathedral and much of central London's tourist and entertainment attractions.

Ibis is Accor's budget chain and it's big sister Novotel is right next door. I had a double room on the 3rd floor, it didn't have a view, although there was a small window facing the utility space, but it was a spacious room with a king bed, bench, desk, kettle with coffee & tea, flat-screen TV with freeview and a lovely bright and clean, if somewhat compact shower room and wc. The bed was very comfortable and there was extra bedding in the room if required. There was also real coat hangers (2 or 3 with skirt clamps) which are always preferable to those hook-less ones. I also didn't notice any noise from adjacent rooms or corridor.

The hotel lobby is bright and airy and serves as a lounge as well as the hotel's bar & restaurant, where I enjoyed a lovely early dinner. The staff are friendly and efficient.

I cannot fault the hotel. My stay was brief and without issue. The room-only rate was actually favourable to similar (budget) chains in the area and for London in general. I'd certainly stay there again if I needed to spend the night in London.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Kyle F
Dear Kyle, thank you very much for having taken the time to provide here a detailed feedback following your stay in the ibis London Blackfriars. It's good to hear that you would consider staying with us again. It has been a pleasure for us to welcome you and we hope to see you soon !
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 6 April 2014

I stayed there last december. There were bedbugs in the bed. When we called the reception, they first said that there shouldn't be any bugs. Finally they came to the room and gave us a new room when they actually saw the bugs themselves, but I had already some bites. I suffered from the pain and itchiness for a while and I still suffer from the scars. It might have been just a bad luck due to the person stayed before me, but it was very painful experience.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank TeeOh2014
Ibis London B, Assistant General Manager at Ibis London Blackfriars, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Thank you very much for having taken the time to leave here a comment following your stay in the ibis London Blackfriars. I had in December the chance to interract with you on that subject and I am really sorry to hear that you have been suffering, despite the support that we have tried to provide you with at the time. Please allow me to present you my deepest apologies for this very unfortunate and isolated situation.

I would like to confirm that our hotel is following a regular preventative treatment against bed bugs as well as very high standards of daily housekeeping. As you rightly mention, bed bugs are often transported on clothing and in luggage, making hotel rooms and public transport particularly susceptible.

At the time, the room was put out of service without delay and the pest control contractor was called in for immediate consultation and investigation. The bedroom had been treated appropriately, as well as adjacent rooms as a precautionary measure and since then, no cases of bedbugs have been reported.

I of course remain at your disposal should you wish to discuss this further with me. I hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you again in our chain of hotels in the near future.
Reviewed 5 April 2014

The Ibis Blackfriars is on the London Eye side of the River Thames. The lobby was clean, the desk personnel were very cheerful, personable, and always willing to answer a question about how to get to and from places. I felt comfortable getting a drink by myself at the bar, which is in full view of the lobby. The other hotel guests looked middle to upper middle class and appeared well behaved.

One of the nicest features of the hotel is that the front desk staff let us check in early (around 11) on our first day since a room was available and stay late on our last day til 2 p.m so we didn't have to store our luggage and could still use the last morning in London.

Our room, which was very clean, was on one of the upper floors across from the elevator yet was still mostly quiet. While small, the room is adequate for a larger city and fine for two people. We had a comfortable double bed and a small modular bathroom with a shower only. There was a hairdryer in the room, and the room had a long mirror with an outlet. We did bring our own adapter to charge our phone and tablet.

The breakfast was served in the bar restaurant area and was very good with a large assortment of food--bread, cheese, yogurt, fruit, eggs, bacon, etc.

To reach the hotel from Heathrow, I bought a pay as you go Oyster card from a person at the Oyster ticket booth at the airport (my child could travel on my card) and we took the Piccadilly line away from the airport, got off at Green Park and switched to the Jubilee line going toward Stratford. We got off the Jubilee line at Southwark, followed the signs to the exit, and once you are out of the station, look to your left to find the hotel. The hotel is just a short walk down the street. There were a few stairs to walk to get out of the station--I don't recall whether there was an elevator at the station. The trip took around an hour or less.

We were out a few times at night, and we felt safe walking to and from the hotel. I didn't see a lot of stuff, if anything, open late at night around the hotel; however, we didn't really need it. I don't know whether any of the tour buses pick tourists up at this hotel.

Overall, I would stay at the Ibis Blackfriars again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank MidwesternParent
Ibis London B, Assistant General Manager at Ibis London Blackfriars, responded to this review, 6 April 2014
Thank you very much for this detailed feedback about your experience in the ibis London Blackfriars. It's good to hear that you have enjoyed our facilities and that our team has been at your disposal to make your stay in London pleasant. We would be really pleased to have the chance to welcome you again soon !
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I had a great time, spent 8 nights in the Ibis Blackfriars. The hotel is clean, functional and quiet- the three things that matter the most to me.

The hotel is a 2 minute walk from the Southwark station, and walking distance from the Southbank, Tate Modern and the Borough Market is a short tube ride or walk away. Most other London landmarks are pretty close by, and on the Jubilee line the hotel is situated on. The area around doesn't have any shops, but there are cafes nearby.

Staff were courteous, and helped immediately.

The room had a great 'ibis' bed, and they had a choice of pillows which I appreciated. Room cleaning happened without a hitch everyday, and things were in place when I returned. The washroom may not be to everyone's understanding of what one should look and feel like, but it worked for me.

I had breakfast at the coffee shop almost every day, and the spread was generous and had something for everybody. One thing I'd change about breakfast is having a couple of specials that change every day- eating the same things for 5 days can get on your nerves. For the price, it was great grub.

Overall, a very good hotel at a very decent price.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank rajpalkaran
Ibis London B, Assistant General Manager at Ibis London Blackfriars, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
Thank you so much for this excellent and detailed review about ibis London Blackfriars. It has been a pleasure for us to welcome you. Thank you as well for having highlighted the comfort of our Sweet bed by ibis ! We are looking forward to welcome you !