“Service friendly but food overpriced”

St James Theatre Brasserie
Ranked #7,625 of 23,860 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Westminster
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We booked the restaurant before a show last Saturday, and while the show itself was fantastic, unfortunately the meal beforehand left a little to be desired. We thought we'd have the 2 course menu but it turned out that 50 minutes isn't enough time and the main was all we could have. With a pretty limited selection and prices over £20 each, it certainly wan't especially good value for money. The restaurant closes at 8 pm, so you can't go back for coffee and dessert after the show - a pity. If the menu were extended with more choices and perhaps more of a cafe-style (rather than the finer dining experience attempted), then I think this would greatly enhance the restaurant. The theatre restaurant is such a great concept and with some tweaking, could work really well.

1  Thank MissTi01

Reviewed 23 April 2014

This was our second visit. There is a restaurant upstairs and a cheaper cafe style one downstairs. Both have waitress service. Last time it was good, but this return visit was a let down when we used the cafe/restaurant downstairs. The four of us ordered the corned beef hash with home made baked beans. We opted for the tap water, which arrived very warm. When we complained, instead of changing it, we were brought a plastic beaker of ice cubes.
The hash, which was topped with a fried egg, was highly spiced and seemed to contain a great deal of salt and vinegar. The baked beans were similarly spiced, and it wasn't a good combination.
Despite the fact that the restaurant wasn't busy the food took an age to come. The coffees which followed - cappuccinos - were flat and poorly made and overly strong. Overpriced.

Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

The restaurant's setting is very classy: you certainly feel you're somewhere current with a little edge. The menu choice was good though they were out of tuna: one if 6 main course choices. The service felt painfully slow for drinks; the food was very good: fish cakes and soup as starters, fish and chips, steak burgers, lamb for main. I'd certainly return if I was visiting the theatre again but would probably order two drinks at a time!

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Went here for a pre-theatre meal as it was convenient. The place is very nice but I couldn't settle my legs comfortably under the table thanks to the huge bollard-like object which supported the table at my end.
We were disappointed to be told (somewhat chippily) to put our coats over the backs of our seats as there were no other facilities. Quote "if I could build you a cloakroom I would but I can't."
None of us wanted a starter and we were informed (in a highly testy manner) that our main courses (fish and chips x 4) would take 25 minutes, the expectation clearly being we would choose starters to fill the time. We didn't, however, change our minds and our meals arrived within 10 minutes!! The fish and chips were okay but nothing special.
All four of us were disappointed with the experience and, although we enjoy the shows at the theatre, we won't be using the restaurant again.

Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

We went to the Brasserie before going to the St James Studio. The atmosphere is buzzy. The staff are efficient and friendly. I had soup and then fish and chips. The fish and chips was so large I needn't have ordered a starter. The food was tasty and delicious. Hard to find a fault. At roughly £30.00 per head with wine it was jolly good value. I shall certainly return.