“Nice but it should have a kitchen!”

PubLove at The Crown
Ranked #173 of 897 Speciality Lodging in London
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

It's quite a good hostel, beds are comfortable and showers were nice. It is a little near of the centre, you've got to take the bus to get to The Underground station, but it's only 3 stops.
I didnt like that toilets were shared with males. And the hostel needs a kitchen for us, because i wanted a knife, but i didn't know if they could borrow me a knife so, it needs a 24hrs free kitchen.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Marlyn M
There are newer reviews for PubLove at The Crown

Reviewed 29 December 2013

I was travelling with friends! We were looking for an affordable hostel, near the city center. At first we booked beds in a 9bed room. Before going to London we received an email saying that our reservation changed and we were now on a 12 bed room. The prices kept the same! And we knew that when booking the hostel 12bed room was cheaper, but we decided to pay a bit more just to be more confortable in the 9 bed room.
We arrived at night in the hostel, which under the rooms area is a pub, it was really crowded and almost impossible to speak with the staff. We tried to explain the manager (Phoebe) that we should get some money back! She was really unfriendly! And she was really mad at us on the last day when she finally gave back us our money (for the room change!!).
The room was ok, but it was too small for 12 beds! In the morning there was left oxygen inside the room to breathe.
There are some lockers inside the room : but you should bring your own locker (or you pay to buy a new - in the hostel they sell). Bathrooms are ok (were always clean and the water for shower was good!).
Breakfast was really poor, but enough for everyone.
Right in front the hostek you have the bus station, and you can manage to go everywhere from that bus station! Well located!
To end this review, it is ok, the area is nice, also inside the pub that has very good environment. The hostel just looses with the actual mannager - (Phoebe - if you read this, you should remember that we pay and that you should be nice to people that chose "your" hostel! You should talk with people and not going away, even if people are complaining!)

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 October 2013

This place is amazing.
Really clean, with daily housekeeping !
The staff, from the housekeepers to the boss is really friendly !
Peoples staying here (most of them) are friendly too ! Coming from different regions of the world (Italy, France, Germany, Australia, Japan, just to name a few of them) you will meet amazing peoples, which are here for the same reason as you : discover London and meet peoples !
The place may seems out of London but there is a bus stop just in front of this inn so you can take a bus (87 or 77 going straight to Winchester and Trafalgar) and discover London from the second floor of the bus (don't forget to get your oyster card at the second you come to London !).
I really really enjoyed staying here and I know I will come back to take a beer as long as I stay in London !

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Guillaume B
Reviewed 11 September 2013

The crown hostel is different to most hostels that I've been to as it has a pub/hostel with the pub on the ground floor and the rooms are above the pub. First up the price it was only £9.99 for a bed in a 9 bed dorm which I felt was reasonable. The bedroom itself is standard with the bunk beds being three tiered, if you're on the top bunk it's very high with a rather small side bar to stop you falling out. As for the room itself other than lockers there is no furniture to speak off.

The shower and toilet facilities are more than adequate with plenty of toilet roll and soap etc. The showers also look nice and new. It's worth noting that this hostel doesn't have cooking facilities that you can prepare food in yourself this wasn't a problem for me but I acknowledge travellers on smaller budgets may find this a problem! You can however buy food from the pub, a chunky ham sandwich was £3.95 which was good, the other food items were very expensive for those on a budget. I would say the same of the alcohol, with a pint of draught costing standard London prices, although I did get one half price drink with my check in slip.

Overall I'd recommend this to those people who're on a very low budget and can't afford to stay in a Central London hostel or those who're visiting friends and family and want to stay nearby.

Room Tip: Choose a smaller dorm if possible and ask to be on the bottom or middle bunk if possible.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 January 2013

This hostel was kind of a life saver for me as I found it after spending the night in a HORRIBLE hostel. So, obviously, I found it amazing. But actually, it was quite nice. It is conveniently located above a bar that they happened to be renovating my last day there (not to the point that they were closed). It also had looked like they had recently reovated the hostel as it was very beautiful and clean. They also had two single bathrooms with a shower and toilet to yourself. The only complaints I would have is that it was a bit far from and tube stations or central London, though there were plenty of entertaining things in the area. And also that they had no kitchen. And the bunks were three high, unattached to the walls, and squeaked every time you'd move.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank NomadicNatalie
Reviewed 19 January 2013

I don't have a massive experince with hostels and stayed just in a few but Crown Hostel is the only one which deserves an aweful review. The hostel claims to be 'convenient place with comfortable rooms'. In fact all room amenities are two 3 storey beds and hangers on the wall. No basic furniture like table and chairs. The room itself looks no more comfy than prison room. Toilets and showers are clean but look like public toilets at the station with no liquid soaps and shower gels. The hostel is lacking kitchenette or dining area, where guests can warm up their ready made lunches. I witnessed a bloke was eating on the stares.
About 4am two boozy ladies came in, made such a mess trying to find a lock for a pad locker and woke up everyone. I could not last any longer.
In most places managers doing their best to make a hostel cosy, friendly, warm and feel-like-at home place. Definetely not in case with Crown best inn!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Tamara R
Reviewed 29 November 2012

I honestly expected an adequate night in this affordable hostel in London but was disappointed. I found the staff to be completely unhelpful as I was travelling to London and didn't know about transport links - they didn't seem to want to help me out. The set-up is odd as well; not like any other hostel I have been too, but a pub/inn conversion that seems to place little emphasis on guest satisfaction and customer service. A poor nights sleep was had. Despite the great price, this hostel is one to avoid as much better options are available in North London in my opinion.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo