“Excellent food”
Review of The Rye

The Rye
Reserve with OpenTable
The Rye is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14,045 of 23,571 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 24 January 2014

I visited this pub with 14 people for lunch at 2.45 on a Thursday, the pub itself it great, friendly staff and a wide choice of wines. The food was fabulous, I had sea bass and it was the best I have ever tasted, cooked to perfection.. amazing chef. Everyone's food came out at the same time hot and delicious, I would highly recommend The Rye.

Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

In the summer we are here every weekend. A favourite amongst the families of East Dulwich and Peckham this cafe serves simple but yummy food. Easy going and free wifi too. However if you don't have kids you might find the noise and general kids chaos abit off putting! If you are in south London with kids and looking for a big park with great cafe this would be a lovely place to hang out for abit.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Used to come here a lot in its previous incarnation. Was disappointed to see it had changed hands but we decided to stay & try the Sunday lunch.
On first view, the beef looked nice & rare sitting in the servery hatch but must have been reheated as it lost its nice pink colour when served. Shame.
The menu is not very exciting. You could find the same in any "gastropub" establishment these days. Before they had a Malaysian chef. Her cooking was far more interesting & just seemed, well, fresher.
It's a bigger pub now & was very busy...& noisy.
Service was decent but not outstanding. They were too busy for that.
I would say that it is good for families & large groups.
It's lost its personality, its independent spirit after its refurb &, I guess, change of ownership. There are many other better pubs & eateries in Peckham now, so no real need for me to return here.

1  Thank TelboyofPeckham
Reviewed 18 October 2013

i have been going in The Rye since it opened two years ago i have had some good times in there when we have just had drinks the venue is great with plenty of seats out side for the sun or indoors in the winter. however the food is very very hit and miss mostly miss.

we have lost count of the amount of burgers we have sent back to the kitchen as they are so char grilled you may as well eat a brick ( this includes beef and chicken burgers) its so frustrating as you give the food one more chance and get great fish and chips once week(fresh fish tender beer batter and good chips) so good that you bring back people the next week to try the fish and chips but you get under cooked frozen fish that i could get from iceland.

i dont think i shall eat here again, but we shall be back for a pint or two

1  Thank Seb S
Reviewed 15 October 2013

This was my second visit to The Rye, and this time I was accompanied by 7 members of my family (including two 7 year olds). Reason for the visit was to celebrate my birthday. Well we had difficulty choosing from the menu, so eventually settled on the two different platters (The Blake & Raquel, Rye Ale battered fish & chips with home-made tartare sauce & mushy peas and the Char-grilled steak burger with spicy chipotle mayo & hand-cut chips. Our food was lovely and tasty and to be honest I struggled to finish my platter, definitely enough for two. My brother and brother-in-law were impressed with the fresh/homemade tartar sauce. The scotch eggs were tasty and cooked just right for me. Overall we were all full to busting because of the generous potions. The only negative for us was the lack of a children's menu, though our two were happy to eat from the various platters and plates. I should add that one of the 7 year olds said that the pork pie was the best for him.