“Great hotel at a great place”
Review of Ruskin Hotel

Ruskin Hotel
Ranked #578 of 1,067 Hotels in London
“Great hotel at a great place”
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel is fantastic for the price, i stayed there for 4 nights on my visit to london, hotel was the best value for what i could afford plus had a dj in on friday nights, area is indian with plenty of restaurants, 25 mins to london eye, big ben (30mins) and buckingham palace (35mins). Stratford (olympic town) is 5 mins by taxi, breakfast was good.. Overall experience good ... :)

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
James P, Manager at Ruskin Hotel, responded to this review, 8 September 2014
Thank you for a lovely review.

Regards

James

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 4 June 2014

If you think this is the Ruskin Hotel near the British Museum, IT'S NOT!!! It is actually the Ruskin Arms but it doesn't say that online (It says Ruskin Hotel). I booked this hotel by accident and ended up staying far from the center of London. The experience would have been slightly better if the tube stations leading up to this hotel (East Hamm) were closed. I had to take a bus and two trains to get to the main attractions in London.

I tried to cancel my reservation after the first night and go to the Ruskin I meant to book but I was told TOO BAD. They wouldn't give me my money back even though I gave them a day's notice and let them know what the mix up was. I had a feeling I wasn't the first person to experience this.

When I stopped by the REAL Ruskin, the hotel manager confirmed my suspicions. The Ruskin Hotel has been in business for over 30 years and has an excellent reputation. They are aware that the Ruskin Arms has been "getting" some of their business and there's nothing they can do about it.

Other issues with the Ruskin Arms included a broken stove (we couldn't get food in their restaurant on the first night), no phone in the rooms (we had to ask them to make calls for us) and they couldn't make 1-800 calls, and the hotel is located near a dodgy train station. (our bus let us off near the train station so I saw where it was.)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vernell C
James P, Owner at Ruskin Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Good Evening,

I am very sorry to hear about your review.

The tube system is east ham is very reliable and only rarely closed for maintenance on Sundays.

We are the ONLY Ruskin Hotel in London, the other Ruskin is a Bed and Breakfast. They have a fantastic reputation but we are ranked 150 places above them on tripadvisor.

Hotel policy does not permit refunds on Advanced purchases. Next time it may be safer to pay the extra 15% and give yourself the opportunity to cancel.

Again, apologies for the inconvenience.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

The hotel has been recently modernised and the rooms are neat and were clean. However the location of the hotel is shocking and the parking was limited to we didn't manage to get parked the second night.

The worst point was the food - it has got to be the worst I've had in a hotel. I had sausage and 'mash' which was actually smash. Many plates of half eastern food were around.

I also found you couldn't really go out anywhere to eat or chill out with a drink.

Wouldn't stay in this hotel again - the facilities and area let it down

• Stayed May 2014
James P, Manager at Ruskin Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Good Afternoon,

I am very sorry to hear about your poor experience. I wish i was informed of this during your stay.

I think it is unfair to state that the area is 'shocking'. We have been open for nearly 2 years and non of our guests have had any issues with regards to the area. I agree that there are more affluent parts of london but the price of a hotel in those zones would be triple the price of our hotel.

I hope that you can give us a second chance to impress you.

kind regards

St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

So when I booked this hotel directly via their website it offers payment by American Express which I filled in. When I arrived at the hotel the receptionist said they didn't accept American Express. As I was travelling on business this put me in a really bad position as my company only allows me to stay at Hotels which accept American Express.

The shower was broken and when I reported this to reception they just didn't care. So I couldn't have a shower which was ridiculous.

I ate in the pub joining the hotel in the evening only to experience rude bar staff who were more interested in chatting to locals by the pool table. The curry I ordered had only a few pieces of chicken in it.

The breakfast was average and none of the staff spoke English when I spoke to them.

Will never stay here again, was treated very badly.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
James P, Manager at Ruskin Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Good Afternoon Luke,

I am extremely sorry that you have had a poor experience with us at Ruskin Hotel. It is simply not acceptable. I have spoken to a member of staff with regards to the shower issue. The mixer tap has now been replaced.

Our chicken tikka masala is a best seller at the pub and it is extremely rare that someone has not enjoyed this meal.

To state that 'none of the staff spoke english' is ridiculous and does somewhat question the validity of this review. As hotel manager I do take full responsibility for the shower issue and for that I wholeheartedly apologize.

Please contact myself directly on james.pararajan@ruskinhotels.co.uk so that we can discuss some form of compensation.

Epworth
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I booked this hotel through an internet booking service - I was looking for comfortable accommodation during an overnight business trip. The location is 5 mins walk away from east Ham tube station which takes you to the city in about 15 minutes.
Whilst this isn't a full service business or tourist hotel, for the money it's a belter!
I paid £59 for a very comfortable, clean and quiet single room with free wifi. The hotel building is very modern and sits behind the Ruskin Pub which has also been refurbished to a high standard. The benefit of a free, secure car park is also a real bonus and the staff are very helpful and friendly.
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel and I'll definitely be back!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
James P, Owner at Ruskin Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Thank you very much Sir for the FANTASTIC review.

We really appreciate the recognition for all our hard work.

I hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

As other reviewers state, this is not a city centre hotel which means travelling to the tourist areas of central London. Handy for O2 Arena though. If you don't mind the bus or nearby East Ham Tube trips, it is a relative bargain. Recently refurbished with pub underneath; we managed to park behind electric-locking gate (area is mainly Permit Holders only) so used Tube. Plenty of places to eat (had first puri bhajee in years). Fairly busy road, but slept well. Rooms and facilities like Travel Inn. Only one very tiny fault: only 2 hangers in room, but literally no other negative at all. Will stay again.

Room Tip: Just remember the High St. pub beneath, which could add noise. Room 102 (above Reception) was fine...