“Decent stay but bad location”
Review of Ruskin Hotel

Ruskin Hotel
Ranked #579 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Santa Barbara, California
“Decent stay but bad location”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We booked this hotel for our first trip to London, not knowing much about the area and trying to find something affordable but decent. What you should know if you're thinking about staying here is that while this hotel is decent - clean rooms (mostly), reasonable size, comfortable bed - it's a 30-40 minute commute to downtown London. The closest tube station is East Ham which is about a 10 minute walk through a semi-dodgy neighborhood. While the Ruskin looks like a traditional English Pub, it's a stark contrast to anything else in this neighborhood, which is primarily populated by Bangladesh markets and restaurants. We didn't feel terribly comfortable or interested to explore anything in the neighborhood, so staying at this hotel meant having a long commute to and from London each day and it was far too much effort to swing by at all during the day if you needed to change clothes or drop anything off. A one-way trip on the tube just to commute costs around 2 pounds, so given the dodgy neighborhood, the inconvenience, and the time wasted each day cramming into the tube to commute, I would highly recommend paying more to stay closer to the city.

The hotel itself was fine - the bathroom is a bit small, they skimp on towels and the bed didn't have a full set of sheets, which was odd. The floor in our room was dirty and even after asking them to vacuum it didn't make a difference. Walking around with wet feet, you will find your feet covered in lint and someone else's hair. The walls are completely bare and ours were dirty, splashed with tea or something. But the room was quiet, our bed was comfortable, staff were pleasant and the complimentary breakfast was great - a large buffet with plenty of options.

Overall I would not recommend staying here and would never stay here again. I would recommend trying to find something near Liverpool Street Station or Aldgate East Station, in the East End neighborhood.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AKGtrips
James P, Manager at Ruskin Hotel, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Thank you for your review.

I appreciate the suggestion about liverpool street/aldgate hotels but the only problem with that is that hotels in that zone are atleast double the price as us.

Please bare that in mind.

We hope to see you soon.

Kind Regards

James

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

I got a room from reception. When I opened the door it wasn't cleaned. I got an other room. The day after I had to move back to the first room. It's a dirty hotelroom, a lot of hair everywere, carpet.. Not hygienic,
Dirty toilet and shower, yellow colour.
Room was very hot. Safe didn't open. No minibar.
In the night you hear everything in the hallway, because you have to throw the doors to close them.
The hotel is not close to metro or bus that will bring you to the
centre.
The television en the looks of the room were nice..

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Rerocentrum
Good Afternoon,

I am very sorry for the poor experience at our hotel. It is not acceptable.

I have spoken to the housekeeping team and assure you this will not happen again.

Please contact me on james.pararajan@ruskinhotels.co.uk to arrange a form of compensation.

Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I stayed here from March 26 - March 29. All in all the hotel is nice, clean, friendly staff. Breakfast was good. The menu is as everywhere else : ham, eggs, croissants, bread, butter, gem, etc. The coffee however was poor. They only had instant coffee or some sort or coffee mixture in a pot. I don't drink coffee, but my wife and our friends were not pleased by this aspect. Our room was clean and the beds were too. We had a flat screen Tv in our room, with many channels to choose from. Bathroom was clean and looked new. We didn't need air conditioning in March, perhaps turned the heat on a couple of times. I have to say the neighborhood was a bit awkward. I mean I don't mind a new cultural experience, since this hotel was in an Indian neighborhood, but the smell of curry and other specific foods, turned my stomach upside down, no offense to the people living there. During the day, the neighborhood looked ok, people were nice and respectful. The tube station is a bit far if you walk, but there is a bus station in front of the hotel. We traveled by tube, using the oyster card. As a negative aspect, I must say, I heard from our friends, that one night, outside the bar, a fight broke out between two customers of the bar, that were attending the party from the pub. Nothing serious though, I have not heard guest being injured. There were themed nights every day with a live DJ. I was too tired too attend these parties, so I cannot comment on them, just what I heard. Staff speaks English. One thing I like to point out is that someone from our group said the word "Indian" at breakfast and a lady from the staff got upset and cleared their table immediately, although my friends did not finish eating. This should not happen. Otherwise our stay was pleasant, we had a nice time. I recommend this as a good value for your money.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
James P, Manager at Ruskin Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Thank you for the review.

We hope to see you soon.

jonesboro, arkansas
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Very inexpensive option in a very expensive city. The hotel is about 30-40 minutes by tube from Central London, which is a little long but doable. The staff was exceptionally friendly throughout the hotel and the hotel pub. Included breakfast was pretty good. Room was small and plain but clean and functional. Loved having a pub to go to every night to have a beer. Neighborhood has a great South Indian restaurant(Saravanna Bhavan). A few cons: wireless signal was low in my room , hotel is some distance from city center. We were overall pretty satisfied.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel is fantastic for the price, i stayed there for 4 nights on my visit to london, hotel was the best value for what i could afford plus had a dj in on friday nights, area is indian with plenty of restaurants, 25 mins to london eye, big ben (30mins) and buckingham palace (35mins). Stratford (olympic town) is 5 mins by taxi, breakfast was good.. Overall experience good ... :)

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
James P, Manager at Ruskin Hotel, responded to this review, 8 September 2014
Thank you for a lovely review.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 4 June 2014

If you think this is the Ruskin Hotel near the British Museum, IT'S NOT!!! It is actually the Ruskin Arms but it doesn't say that online (It says Ruskin Hotel). I booked this hotel by accident and ended up staying far from the center of London. The experience would have been slightly better if the tube stations leading up to this hotel (East Hamm) were closed. I had to take a bus and two trains to get to the main attractions in London.

I tried to cancel my reservation after the first night and go to the Ruskin I meant to book but I was told TOO BAD. They wouldn't give me my money back even though I gave them a day's notice and let them know what the mix up was. I had a feeling I wasn't the first person to experience this.

When I stopped by the REAL Ruskin, the hotel manager confirmed my suspicions. The Ruskin Hotel has been in business for over 30 years and has an excellent reputation. They are aware that the Ruskin Arms has been "getting" some of their business and there's nothing they can do about it.

Other issues with the Ruskin Arms included a broken stove (we couldn't get food in their restaurant on the first night), no phone in the rooms (we had to ask them to make calls for us) and they couldn't make 1-800 calls, and the hotel is located near a dodgy train station. (our bus let us off near the train station so I saw where it was.)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vernell C
James P, Owner at Ruskin Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Good Evening,

I am very sorry to hear about your review.

The tube system is east ham is very reliable and only rarely closed for maintenance on Sundays.

We are the ONLY Ruskin Hotel in London, the other Ruskin is a Bed and Breakfast. They have a fantastic reputation but we are ranked 150 places above them on tripadvisor.

Hotel policy does not permit refunds on Advanced purchases. Next time it may be safer to pay the extra 15% and give yourself the opportunity to cancel.

Again, apologies for the inconvenience.

Kind Regards

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

The hotel has been recently modernised and the rooms are neat and were clean. However the location of the hotel is shocking and the parking was limited to we didn't manage to get parked the second night.

The worst point was the food - it has got to be the worst I've had in a hotel. I had sausage and 'mash' which was actually smash. Many plates of half eastern food were around.

I also found you couldn't really go out anywhere to eat or chill out with a drink.

Wouldn't stay in this hotel again - the facilities and area let it down

• Stayed May 2014
James P, Manager at Ruskin Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Good Afternoon,

I am very sorry to hear about your poor experience. I wish i was informed of this during your stay.

I think it is unfair to state that the area is 'shocking'. We have been open for nearly 2 years and non of our guests have had any issues with regards to the area. I agree that there are more affluent parts of london but the price of a hotel in those zones would be triple the price of our hotel.

I hope that you can give us a second chance to impress you.

kind regards