“Excellent”
Review of Ruskin Hotel

Ruskin Hotel
Ranked #621 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Needed a hotel for 1 night for RideLondon-Surrey. This is perfect, close to the start and close to a tube station. East Ham is very vibrant and has everything we needed.

The hotel and the staff are both very good. The hotel is kept in good condition, the rooms were comfortable and the staff friendly and efficient. They helped with parking, bikes and even putting out breakfast at 5am to accommodate all the cyclists.

I did worry a little when I saw a pub underneath, but there was no issue whatsoever. Definitely recomend this hotel.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
James P, Manager at Ruskin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Good Afternoon,

Thank you very much for the lovely review.

I hope the bike ride went well despite the monsoon rains!

We hope to see you again next year!

Reviewed 11 August 2014

I was booked here for a business trip, even though colleagues locally had recommended I stay in Stratford as this area may not be ideal for a solo white woman traveller.
I had been advised that I had bed & breakfast plus a £10 evening meal included, however on check-in, despite my copy of the confirmatory email, they seemed unsure how to honour the meal 'ticket'.
The room itself was fine. Clean with a modern TV, tea & coffee, air con and comfy super-king-size bed. But due to the area (other reviewers have mentioned this is an 'ethnic dense neighbourhood') and the fact that the hotel is attached to a bar which is filled with young Asian men playing pool, I didn't relax very well.
The restaurant is basically the bar. The receptionist advised me to simply order a starter and main and it would be covered by the agreed meal allowance. I ordered hummus and pitta bread followed by mushroom, mozzarella and basil burger. After a long wait, feeling like I stuck out like a sore thumb, both courses arrived together, with no apology, but by now I just wanted to eat and retire to my room as I'd had a long journey.
The hummus was fine but the limp, soggy pitta was unappetising. The 'burger' was simply a grilled flat mushroom with a little cheese and pesto stuck inside a bread roll. The chips saved the day.
I had little choice but to eat here as I did not feel safe to venture out to a local restaurant and there are no supermarkets nearby.
On check-out they tried to charge me an additional £31, saying I had the £10 to pay, plus another £21. When I queried this and referred to the menu which confirmed that hummus and the burger amounted to £11 the girl finally agreed but demanded I pay as it couldn't be credited to the company CC which had secured the booking. (I later found the £10 HAD been charged).
I can see other reviewers have found this place to be OK but personally I WOULD NOT recommend it to solo women travellers / business.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
James P, Manager at Ruskin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Good Afternoon,

Thank you very much for the lovely review on the hotel itself apart from the score.

'The room itself was fine. Clean with a modern TV, tea & coffee, air con and comfy super-king-size bed'

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your email. I assure you that this is a rare circumstance.

As a hotel, we have plenty of female travelers, whether they are alone or with friends. Thankfully there has never been any issues within the hotel or within the area to any of our guests. This part of London is ethnically diverse but with that comes fantastic cheap Indian restaurants and great night markets.

We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

This is the second time I have stayed at the Ruskin Hotel with my husband and son. Very good location, good breakfast and very good service.
Room was a good size, similar room to what I stayed in last time.
The biggest issue I had was the cleanliness. Previously I found the hotel was reasonably clean but this time all I could see was dust. Everywhere I looked and touched there was dust. I had to wipe the entire room down with baby wipes.
We didn't stay in the hotel much at all, it was just to sleep and have breakfast but near the end of our stay I had to ask the staff to hoover the room. After I came back it didn't look any different but didn't want to say anything as it was my last night so didn't see the point. I was disappointed as I was impressed when I previously stayed but can't say the same this time.
The hotel is certainly good value for money, and I would consider staying again but before I check in I would ask them to ensure the room is spotless.

• Stayed: August 2014

Good Afternoon,

Thank you so much for coming back to the hotel.

I am very sorry about the dusty rooms. In all honesty we have been understaffed in the housekeeping department for a couple of weeks. We have now addressed the issue and normal service should be resumed.

I hope to see you again.

All inspections welcome :)

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Basic amenities and more when you see the delicous english breakfast spread.. Only downside is the walking stretch between the hotel and tube if you aren't a fan of South Asian food and ethnic dense neighbourhoods.. Its not very clean..

The hotel makes up for it all, really with the price and the service and good rooms. The view ruins it sometimes.

Good Afternoon Arti,

Thank you for leaving a review for us on tripadvisor.

Although your comments about the hotel are positive I am disappointed with the overall score. The distance to the station is 8 minutes by walk or 3 stops on the bus on a straight road.

A hotel in a 'fancy' part of london with a view would cost almost 5 times the price of what we charge. I think we provide fantastic value for money and hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I have stayed here twice now with my husband & children. A fantastic comfortable & modern hotel. The family rooms are a great size & are lovely & clean. To the children's delight, the rooms have a huge flat screen TV! To my husbands delight there was free wi-fi & secure parking! The staff were all very friendly & helpful. The pub next door is great, modern & comfortable - there are even some games to amuse the kids. Could not fault either the hotel or the pub. We will definitely be returning to stay here to explore some more of London. The comfort & fantastic value more than make up for the travel time to some of the Central London tourist spots. As an added bonus my husband & I really enjoyed eating out at one of the great Indian restaurants nearby.
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the hotel & the pub & look forward to my next stay!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
James P, Owner at Ruskin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Thank you so much for the lovely review.

We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 18 July 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
James P, Manager at Ruskin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Me and my best friend stayed here when we saw Robbie Williams at the o2 for a few days.
Absolutely loved our stay. Couldn't fault a thing.
The hotel was clean and comfortable, the staff were polite and friendly and the food was brilliant. A very pleasant base for what we wanted. The city centre is 30 mins by tube with the o2 easy to get to.
It is a very ethnic part of London but I never felt uneasy or intimidated.
Thank you Ruskin hotel, we will definatley be back!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

WOW!

What a lovely review.

Maybe Robbie Williams 3 nights on the trot has helped with the review! :)

We look forward to your next visit

Regards

James (gentleman that checked you in)