“Wonderful building”

12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Wonderful building”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

We visited for the first time to see 20th Century Boy. Very impressed by the building, very quirky. Not so impressed by the cocktail - £8 for a drink that was layered rather than mixed, barman did confess he didn't know much about cocktails! should have had a lemonade. Our seats were rear stalls, good view of the show, and the theatre is not far from the tube. Loved the show! So all in all a great experience.

1 Thank AmelieBL

Maldon, England, United Kingdom
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“night with Marc Bolan!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

First time at this venue, went to see 20th Century Boy brilliant!!! This theatre has beautifully sculpted and painted ceilings, and is easy to find from the station. Very attractive building. Staff are very helpful. Altogether a very pleasant experience.

1 Thank Rosemary T
London, United Kingdom
“Seven years of Rethink visits to New Wimbledon Theatre”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

I have been leading trips to New Wimbledon Theatre for seven years for Rethink Mental Illness Merton and Sutton. The Group is a charity for the Boroughs of Merton and Sutton. It is a carers and users support group for adult sufferers of severe depressive illnesses and for carers and for professionals. We have always been impressed by the shows we have seen at New Wimbledon Theatre, by the help booking visits, and by Theatre Staff on the night. New Wimbledon Theatre is an important local entertainment resource and long may it continue being so. Steve Salmon (Events Organiser in Rethink Merton and Sutton).

112 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 323 helpful votes
“Attractive theatre with good staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Unlike many other reviewers on here, this is purely a review of the venue. It does irk me when people do a full review of a production that will then have moved on a few days later, rating the theatre on whether they liked the show or not, rather than on the building, staff and facilities. Theatre reviews are not what Trip Advisor is for!

It's not my most local theatre but I have been here a few times now with no problems. The staff are always evident, efficient and friendly. It can get rather crowded in the foyers and corridors before a show as they don't let you in to go to your seats until I think about 15 minutes before the start of the performance.

It is a very attractive theatre with all its old features still evident. Sadly this includes the toilets! These are very small and it's hard to manoeuvre around their waiting area, and queues can end up winding into the corridor. I could have given the venue a lower rating because of this, but because it's a historic building it would be very hard to know how to change this problem, so would be churlish of me to criticise it! However, just be aware of the likelihood that this part is not a great experience!

Buying ice creams for myself and my children at the interval today was straightforward, and when I've been here to see shows with friends we have had no problems getting drinks at the bar.

At only a few minutes walk from the station it is also easy to get to if arriving that way.

As another reviewer has said, row J in the stalls is good as it is a walkway, giving you legroom with no squeezing past anyone else to sit down! If you are at a show where the cast roam around the audience, as ours was today, it's a great row to sit in, as today, for example, the Scooby Doo characters were running past high fiving our row!

If I did live equidistant from Wimbledon and Richmond and the same shows were on at each, I would choose Richmond Theatre (which is my nearest) as it just has a touch more character internally and externally and it is set on the quiet Green rather than on a busy high street junction, but I'm looking forward to seeing more shows at the New Wimbledon.

Visited May 2014
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“Interesting building”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

This interesting Edwardian building is situated on the Broadway amongst many shops and restaurants, and it is within easy walking distance (about 8 minutes) from the railway station.

We saw the matinee performance of Cats on Saturday 17th May 2014. The show was very good and held my attention throughout, although I did prefer the second half. The performers were exceptionally good. We were seated in the stalls, in the middle of Row L - the view of the stage was excellent.

Unfortunately, there does not appear to be air-conditioning at this theatre (or it wasn't working when we visited), so make sure you take plenty of bottled water with you if you are visiting, although you can buy bottled water in the theatre at a cost of £2.50 for a small (50cl) bottle!

Visited May 2014