“Not for families! Way too pricey...” 2 of 5 bubbles

Le Pain Quotidien
Ranked #1,990 of 22,217 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: French, Cafe, European
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: South Kensington
Description: Whether you are on the go or have time to linger, Le Pain Quotidien is the perfect place to catch a break from the city life. The homey interior matches our organic farm food roots; a splendid display of everything from tarts to tartines can be found here at any time of day. And there's always enough fresh bread to go around!
“Not for families! Way too pricey...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

Came here with husband and child prior to a day out at the museums, after a decent lunch to see us through.

Our meals were £9 for prosciutto on toast, £9 for a frittata and £12 for a chicken pot pie (the only thing on the menu my daughter was prepared to try - she is by no means fussy), so £30 in all. The drinks were £3.80 for an orange juice and £2 for mineral water so we thought we'd stick with tap water. The portions were tasty but so so small. The menu was not at all child friendly and the noise levels were outrageous.

After asking for the bill not once, not twice, but three times. We'd definitely had enough.

I would say it's more for people without kids, with money to spare.

• Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Lovely ambience, friendly helpful staff and pleasant food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

Really busy at the time we called in but didnt have to wait long to be seated. One of my companions is disabled and staff were excellent in finding us an appropriately accessible table. Despite being busy, our order was brought along very quickly. We only had hot drinks and a quiche type thing, but it was all very good. Not overly pricey and a nice place to while away an hour. Great cafe culture area.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
London, England, United Kingdom
“Rip - off”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

We visited this branch of the chain prior to a visit to the Royal Albert Hall. I shall never set foot in one of these places again. The bill came to £32ish, for a small beer, a small glass of wine, two open sandwiches and a discretionary 12.5% service charge. As a London resident, I have always defended the prices charged in the city as what you might expect - this just reminded me of the worst examples quoted in the past. This snack was nothing more than a rip - off of the highest order.

• Visited December 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
“Great for brunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

We visit our local branch in Wimbledon Village on a regular basis, Great food and good for the kids also.

Visited December 2013
“Nonexistent service, so I can't review the food I never got”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

Stopped in here in the morning on the way to the museums. The place was crowded and stiflingly hot inside, so I asked the waitress if I could buy food at the counter and eat it outside at the tables, or if the tables had table service. She didn't understand me, and I ended up having to rephrase this question 3 times until she finally told me to go sit outside for table service.

So, I did. After a relatively long while, she came out, helped the man across from me who'd already been served his meal, and walked within inches of me to go back inside. She made no eye contact, and said nothing. Not, "I'll be with you in a minute," nothing.

So, not wanting to wait around interminably to see if I could ever get some unfriendly service, I went directly across the street to Fernandez and Wells and had a wonderful breakfast served by two servers who were friendly, talkative, and happy to help a customer. The genial conversation I had with one of them is still a great memory from my trip. The sandwich I had there was to die for and I'm rather glad I was ignored at LPQ in retrospect.

• Visited September 2013