“Trip Advisor strikes gold again!” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Andover Arms
Ranked #71 of 22,217 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Child-friendly, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: Brunch, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Hammersmith / Fulham
Description: London's Hidden Gem. A traditional 1880's public house. Tucked away in Hammersmith W6. Serving fresh Modern English food with Mediterranean twist, British real ales, great wine selection enshrouded with great honest customer service. Very Honest Place.
St Helens, United Kingdom
“Trip Advisor strikes gold again!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

Like most of the people reviewing this restaurant on Trip Advisor, we were taken by the rating (at the time of writing, 7th out of 13,000 restaurants in London) so we headed there on our first night of a weekend break in London.

The weather was hot, the sun was out and the atmosphere was welcoming and comfortable from the moment we walked in. It was genuinely like walking into your own local at home (not my current local though, that's truly terrible). It's very easy for some people to be a bit overawed by London, particularly eating out, but this place has everything. The beer is fantastic, the food is utterly wonderful and the locals are all happy to chat.

You know by now from reading these reviews that the food here is good, but I must make a special mention of my fish, chips and mushy peas, a dish I often have in gastro-pubs. The chips were delicious, as where the mushy peas (and there's me thinking that only us Northerners do good mushy peas), but the battered cod was exceptional, and was probably the best tasting fish I've ever had. The batter was packed with flavour and the fish was flaky-fresh. It was an absolute joy. Herself's bream was also fantastic. But mine was better!

After two courses, we were full and we really didn't need more food, so we both got puddings. Obviously. I'm always a little disappointed by a cheese board because it never seems to live up to the expectations, but this one did. A great choice of cheeses I had never tried before, lots of biscuits and a beautiful chutney. She also had a huge wedge of some chocolattey nonsense, which was declared to be superb,

After our marvellous meal, and the welcome company of a huge puppy on the next table that was proper mental, we were tired and probably going to head home. But herself got chatting outside whilst having a smoke, so we decided to stay for just one more drink. Big day tomorrow being tourists, after all.

We finally left many drinks later as the staff tried to get us, very politely, to go away, around 12.30am and we headed off in the direction of Hammersmith Bus Station, where the public transport never sleeps (I love London!). We felt so comfortable just chatting outside with the locals, who were wonderful company, and we really felt like we were in our own little corner of the world.

It's hard to single out one thing about the night for special praise when there was so much to choose from, but the staff are outstanding (sometimes standing outside) and really help make the place the success it is. Special acknowledgement to Vicki, who looked after us so well, as well as the other 8000 customers she seemed to be looking after all at once. The Andover Arms is a credit to a dying pub industry, and Vicki and all the staff, are a credit to the Andover Arms. Any chance of tripe next time we come, Vicki?

6 Thank Red_V_Rover
Tom G, Manager at The Andover Arms, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Red_V_Rover,

What can I say? I am speechless (which as you know from having met me is RARE).... Thank you so much for your review..... and I am so glad that you were able to get the ins and outs from our locals too... we are very lucky to have such an amazing group of neighbours and locals who support and help ...

I hope that you were able get through your HUGE list of things to do while you were in London and if you have any recommendations of things to see and do I would be very interested in hearing them!

I am still researching some recipes for Tripe but I have your email address and I will let you know when they are ready for sampling so that you can come back down and give them a go... please make sure to wear your flat cap on your next visit though, I missed it this time.

Really hoping that our paths cross again.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
“To never forget... :)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

Just saw the other day some comments here about the Arms and got curious. Today out of the blue decided to go and it was worth every penny. The starting crab fish with a bit of pepper was nice and super delicious and at the right amount to prepare you for the splendorous main course. One of the BEST grey mullet fish ever. The seafood risotto was also speechless... I'd pay double for those easily. Great atmosphere and super friendly service that really deserves one of my very hard to get 5 stars. Absolutely positively returning there.

6 Thank Alan_m_page
Tom G, Manager at The Andover Arms, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Dear Alan,

You ran off last night before I had the opportunity to chat... therefore you will have to come back again... I am very glad that we lived up to our reviews and your expectations....and thank you very much for full marks...

Please come back again soon so that we can firstly make sure that you are able to sit at a table and secondly so that we can have that natter....

Looking forward to seeing you soon.

Orlando, Florida
“Excellent food in an unlikely location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

The Andover Arms was the perfect mix of neighborhood bar and fine dining. The atmosphere is welcoming and warm, the food is perfection, and the staff seems more like family than co-workers. As Americans vacationing in the UK, the staff made us feel at home, even after we were 30 minutes late for our reservation. I would recommend this restaurant to everyone and would love the opportunity to return there myself!

4 Thank Emily F
Dear Emily,

I hope that you had a fabulous time in London... it was such a pleasure to have met you all and am delighted that you had a great time with us. I have to say that I think sometimes we are more family than co workers.... we certainly always manage to have fun working together. There was not a problem that you were a little late... we always allow a "getting lost" time for each table as we are a little hidden in the backstreets of Hammersmith .... but we wouldn't be London's Hidden Gem is we were on the High Street.

I hope that you will have the opportunity to travel to London again soon and come and see us.

San Francisco, California
“Just What I Needed..”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

After dropping in after a tradeshow, Andover Arms was just wanted I needed. Kind service, good food, honest environment, and cold beer. I was exhausted and left satisfied after an easy-paced meal and watching some futbol. Tomorrow's my last night in London before I head out; might have to go again.

3 Thank Mark L
Dear Mark,

I am so glad that you did do it again and that I had the opportunity to meet you! I hope that the lamb lived up to its reputation .... thank you very much for your review... On the topic of Venice, I have one NOT TO MISS place... http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187870-d716421-Reviews-Trattoria_dai_Tosi-Venice_Veneto.html ... -please try and get to them... they are as authentic and traditional as us !
Hope that you are able to come back to London to come and see us again.

Los Angeles, California
“Great way to end my last night in London”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Found a great authentic meal in London. I took the recommendation of trip advisor on this place and was not disappointed. Our hotel was in central London and the restaurant was out in Kensington, so it was a little far, but worth the travel. Given the high price of most things in London, this place was really reasonable and the food above average. I've paid more and was much less satisfied. The staff was really friendly, and helpful. I ordered the Lamb, which was amazing and the portions can be fit for two. My companion ordered the chicken dish which was crispy and tender. The atmosphere was like a neighborhood pub. Don't expect something really fancy. Just expect a really delightful meal at a reasonable price.

3 Thank ldfong
Dear Idfong,

I couldn't have described us better if I'd have tried... thank you very much for your review... we are a little bit of a trek from the centre but, in my biased opinion totally worth it... We are certainly a "real" pub with many of our customers being locals from the Village and that includes me also... this is the pub that my father used to drink in (and still does) as I was growing up so it certainly holds a special place in my heart.
I am so pleased that we made your last night so special and hope that you will come back and see us again soon.