“Great food, great service, what more could you want...”
Review of The Andover Arms

The Andover Arms
Reserve with OpenTable
The Andover Arms is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #72 of 23,571 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$11 - US$26
Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Hammersmith / Fulham
Description: London's Hidden Gem. A traditional 1880's public house. Tucked away in Hammersmith W6. Serving fresh Modern English food with Mediterranean twist, British real ales, great wine selection enshrouded with great honest customer service. Very Honest Place.
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I visited the Andover arms for our 1st wedding anniversary. We we're delighted with the service and the food was exceptional. Not only was the portion sizes abundant but it was very tasty and presented well. I decided to have the chocolate brownie for desert and it was the nicest brownie I'd ever eaten. It was a perfect end to a perfect day! Thank you :D

6  Thank Phil C
Tom G, Manager at The Andover Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear Phil,

Thank you very much for joining us on such a special occasion, I feel very honoured... and I am very happy that we were able to make the experience even more memorable with our Brownie.,..It is definitely my personal favourite dessert and I take the opportunity as much as I can to quality control that particular item on the menu.

I hope that we will see you again ... please don't leave it until your next anniversary...

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Was looking for a great, "true to the nines" pub lunch and this place seemed to top many a list. You have to be looking for it but don't let the completely off-the-beaten path location shake you - Andover Arms is the perfect neighborhood pub. Outstanding food and really personable service plus patrons who genuinely want to be here with you. My only regret was coming here solo for lunch and without others - the menu is impressive and you'll want the chance to try as much of it as possible. Seriously, every plate that hit a table was going back empty.

I also want to send a shout out to the fantastic bar keep/manager/owner (?) for her excellent directions and insight to add a stop to the Shepherds Bush Market - GREAT call! Bottom line, you may come here for a good pint or some excellent food, but that's just the start of an awesome time. If you can make to the Andover Arms, do it...

5  Thank Ted R
Tom G, Manager at The Andover Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear Ted.

I hope that my directions got you to where you were heading and I am so glad that you enjoyed Shepherds Bush Market .... I love it in there and always walk through it whenever I am in there area.... More than that I am so glad that you enjoyed our Little hidden Gem and that you took the time to come and find us.....

If you are ever in London again I trust that you will pop by again (out of work hours) and sample some of our fine beers and ales and also get some more recommendations of little out of the way London secrets.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I found it difficult to give what is on the surface rather an ordinary pub a five star rating but not to have done so would have been mean. In addition to standard pub fare (fish and chips, steaks, steak pie etc.) this pub was offering turbot, butter fish and scallops on the Tuesday lunchtime menu. How many pubs can say this? Everything was well cooked and served by friendly staff. We mainly stuck to beer (it was a very hot day!) and the selection on offer was good and well kept. This is the second time recently that I have travelled from my home in South East London to the western side of the city for lunch and perhaps the good life on offer here goes some way to explaining the crazy prices of the rather ordinary real estate on this side of town: the Andover Arms is situated in the trendy 'Brackenbury Village' area of Hammersmith. The journey was well worth while as the six old friends enjoyed our visit here.

6  Thank V3971RTjohn
Tom G, Manager at The Andover Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear Bickley,

Firstly thank you very much for travelling all the way to come and dine with us and secondly thank you very much for your wonderful review. We always try to keep our versions of the classic pub fare on the menu while also offering a little something different at the same time. Our menu changes often but remains seasonal and cooked to order.
I particularly like your choice of lager "Frontier" which is Fullers first craft lager but also we have a great passion for our Ales (both caring for them and drinking them!) and so have London Pride and Chiswick at all times and then at least one other which is normally a Seasonal Fullers Ale.

I hope that your travels will bring you back soon to our side of London.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Like most of the people reviewing this restaurant on Trip Advisor, we were taken by the rating (at the time of writing, 7th out of 13,000 restaurants in London) so we headed there on our first night of a weekend break in London.

The weather was hot, the sun was out and the atmosphere was welcoming and comfortable from the moment we walked in. It was genuinely like walking into your own local at home (not my current local though, that's truly terrible). It's very easy for some people to be a bit overawed by London, particularly eating out, but this place has everything. The beer is fantastic, the food is utterly wonderful and the locals are all happy to chat.

You know by now from reading these reviews that the food here is good, but I must make a special mention of my fish, chips and mushy peas, a dish I often have in gastro-pubs. The chips were delicious, as where the mushy peas (and there's me thinking that only us Northerners do good mushy peas), but the battered cod was exceptional, and was probably the best tasting fish I've ever had. The batter was packed with flavour and the fish was flaky-fresh. It was an absolute joy. Herself's bream was also fantastic. But mine was better!

After two courses, we were full and we really didn't need more food, so we both got puddings. Obviously. I'm always a little disappointed by a cheese board because it never seems to live up to the expectations, but this one did. A great choice of cheeses I had never tried before, lots of biscuits and a beautiful chutney. She also had a huge wedge of some chocolattey nonsense, which was declared to be superb,

After our marvellous meal, and the welcome company of a huge puppy on the next table that was proper mental, we were tired and probably going to head home. But herself got chatting outside whilst having a smoke, so we decided to stay for just one more drink. Big day tomorrow being tourists, after all.

We finally left many drinks later as the staff tried to get us, very politely, to go away, around 12.30am and we headed off in the direction of Hammersmith Bus Station, where the public transport never sleeps (I love London!). We felt so comfortable just chatting outside with the locals, who were wonderful company, and we really felt like we were in our own little corner of the world.

It's hard to single out one thing about the night for special praise when there was so much to choose from, but the staff are outstanding (sometimes standing outside) and really help make the place the success it is. Special acknowledgement to Vicki, who looked after us so well, as well as the other 8000 customers she seemed to be looking after all at once. The Andover Arms is a credit to a dying pub industry, and Vicki and all the staff, are a credit to the Andover Arms. Any chance of tripe next time we come, Vicki?

6  Thank Red_V_Rover
Tom G, Manager at The Andover Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Red_V_Rover,

What can I say? I am speechless (which as you know from having met me is RARE).... Thank you so much for your review..... and I am so glad that you were able to get the ins and outs from our locals too... we are very lucky to have such an amazing group of neighbours and locals who support and help ...

I hope that you were able get through your HUGE list of things to do while you were in London and if you have any recommendations of things to see and do I would be very interested in hearing them!

I am still researching some recipes for Tripe but I have your email address and I will let you know when they are ready for sampling so that you can come back down and give them a go... please make sure to wear your flat cap on your next visit though, I missed it this time.

Really hoping that our paths cross again.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Just saw the other day some comments here about the Arms and got curious. Today out of the blue decided to go and it was worth every penny. The starting crab fish with a bit of pepper was nice and super delicious and at the right amount to prepare you for the splendorous main course. One of the BEST grey mullet fish ever. The seafood risotto was also speechless... I'd pay double for those easily. Great atmosphere and super friendly service that really deserves one of my very hard to get 5 stars. Absolutely positively returning there.

6  Thank Alan_m_page
Tom G, Manager at The Andover Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Dear Alan,

You ran off last night before I had the opportunity to chat... therefore you will have to come back again... I am very glad that we lived up to our reviews and your expectations....and thank you very much for full marks...

Please come back again soon so that we can firstly make sure that you are able to sit at a table and secondly so that we can have that natter....

Looking forward to seeing you soon.