“Garden no good for non Smokers!”
Review of The Old White Lion

The Old White Lion
Ranked #11,850 of 23,592 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$12 - US$21
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Welcome to Finchley's favourite pub.The Old White Lion, close to Hampstead Heath, is a local pub that's worth travelling to. We tempt a discerning crowd from East Finchley and further afield with our stunning range of speciality beers, wines and spirits and fresh, home-cooked pub food, which is prepared in front of your eyes in our open kitchen - our chefs' own little stage. And with three bars, including a conservatory and snug, we're ideal territory for group celebrations.
Reviewed 19 May 2014

It was a very warm Saturday night when we went here for a meal. We had a reserved table which we found ourselves as no-one came up to us when we went into the pub. We eventually asked if we had to order at the bar which we did. Two of our meals arrived and after 15 minutes, we asked where the other 2 meals were and were told they would be another 5 minutes. They came and the waiter apologised and offered us free drinks. He was the only decent server there. The food was OK. My Southern fried chicken was good. The portion of fish cakes was small and there was no pea "puree" with the fish and chips. Disappointing is that despite a large, lovely garden, there didn't seem to be an area for non smokers which you find in so many pubs these days.

1  Thank RoyalLady9

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Went for a meal with family, friends and partner and was happy enough with the basic, if not unpleasant food on offer. The only issue was the length of time everything seemed to take from ordering drinks to ordering food to actually receiving the food. It was a blessing that we hadn't met up in a while and had lots to catch up on or impatience could have set in. The pub didn't even appear that busy so maybe it's a staffing or understaffing issue. Enjoyed a couple of pints and place has a nice feel but wouldn't rush back until service improves.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

I booked a table for 9 people last Sunday. The place was empty and yet the food took an hour. Sunday Roasts were the only thing on the menu, so why the long wait? It was only after we had paid did anyone tell us of the components that were missing from each dish that day too. After waiting an hour for our food (that came at different times) we were disappointed to find it was all overcooked. Is that what the hour long wait is for, to make sure it's overcooked? The squid was like fishy toenail clippings and the whitebait were like burnt matchsticks. Our mains came halfway through our starters, again at differing times. The manager then turned on the TV that was behind us for the Rugby. Why on earth did they stick us under the TV when they knew a match would be starting an hour later? We were told to move if we didn't like it, with no help from the staff. This is not easy, especially with two kids. Needless to say our meals were cold. Didn't matter anyway, the roast dinner put in front of me was the saddest plate of food I have ever seen. We complained to the Manager and he couldn't care less. We got refunds on our meal but no apology. The other staff were embarrassed to say the least, I don't blame them though, the manager must be a hard person to work for but you could tell that this sort of thing happens all the time. Ok, so some people don't go to pubs for food, I understand but if a pub does both they should do both competently. The ale selection is hit and miss a lot of the time, most of the time I find the ales are off which is always disappointing. This pub used to be great but now it just looks like its waiting to be shut down. I hate to see pubs close but I'll be celebrating when this one does. Avoid at all costs people!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1  Thank Anthony L
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Went here today with a few friends for Sunday lunch. I was told how good it was.

Arrived at about 3 to be told the kitchen had just closed, despite food still coming out. When it reopened 40 minutes later (with no explanation) we ordered a roast dinner each.

The food came far to quickly for my liking and I quickly decided it was not freshly cooked. The meat was dry, potatoes undercooked and the veg soggy. Despite this we were starving from the kitchen being closed so forced it down.

Just after 4 decided to get a desert, to be told the kitchen had closed again and wasn't re-opening. I have a feeling they only opened it back up the first time was to get rid of some dinners they had lying around.

All round disappointing experience. I absolutely do not recommend this pub to anyone. Ever. To top it off it's over priced for the second rate pub food they serve.

Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend and I came here with some friends for a birthday lunch. The food was delicious but with a long wait despite the pub not really being that busy. My girlfriend ordered a pint of Amstell which really didn't taste right and was told by the bartender that it was "fine". Rather than offering a replacement. I didn't feel that this was kosher. We didn't want to make a fuss so I've decided to highlight the issue on tripadvisor instead.

4  Thank Jacob E