“Worst "apartment" ever!!!”

Ranked #24 of 869 Speciality Lodging in London
London
“Worst "apartment" ever!!!”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I have been working in hospitality all my working life and I can honestly say this was the worst room I have ever stayed in. The pictures on the website are not accurate. The bathroom just disgusting. The toilet was dirty and not working. I was due to say 2 nights but left very early on the first day to use alternative facilities. I have lost money as the room was pre-paid. It was not worth the per night cost.

4 Thank Yanchao L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I spent 4 nights here in May.
The apartments are a 10 minute walk from Hammersmith tube station so conveniently located and in a quiet neighbourhood along a tree lined avenue.
We were in the top apartment which was 52 steps, this didn't bother us at all but it is something to consider if you have mobility problems. The staff at the desk offer to take your bags up for you which is nice.
The apartment had a living room/kitchen/dining area, separate bedroom and separate bathroom with bath/shower, very spacious, modern decor and light and airy.
You are given cereal, milk, tea, coffee, sugar, plus crisps and nuts.
A nice touch. The rates are reasonable and I would have no hesitation in staying here again. I only have a few pointers for improvement. The bed has lost it's spring and isn't that comfortable. There should be curtains in the bedroom as the blinds don't keep the light out so you're up at 4am because it's so bright. Fix these two things and I would give 5 stars. Thank you for a comfortable stay and your hospitality.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Lamington109, Guest Relations Manager at Lamington - Hammersmith Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your feedback it is very much appreciated and I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. I will look into the 2 points you raised as we do rely on guest feedback for this sort of thing.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We were VERY happy with this hotel! We stayed in one of their two-room apartments with our family of 6, for 4 nights in May 2014. I highly recommend it for budget travelers, especially those travelling with children or groups. Different travelers have different need though, so below I've gone into more detail about the accommodations.

Location: We were in flat 1 at th 109 Hammersmith Grove building, which is where the main office is. I think there may be some units at other buildings... I cannot comment on those. This was a little further from the Tube station than I would have liked. However, while our travel-sore feet got quite tired of the trek from tube to flat, it was a fairly pleasant walk down a residential street, and it was nice to pass by the "regular people" going about their lives. There was some rowdiness and noise on the weekend evenings, but it felt safe. There was a bakery next store, a nice pub on the corner, and a little kiosk that sold soda and liquor and a few grocery items. There was also a laundromat a few doors down, though we had no need of it since there was a washer/dryer unit in the flat.

Service: The office staff was friendly and very helpful. They had also been quick to reply to emails when I was arranging the rooms, and the reservation process was easy (I booked directly with the hotel via their website). They gave us a good city map and helped us with the luggage. They also stored the luggage for us after check-out on our departure day, tucking it away in a back room with color-coded dots to know whose it was. We also discovered that the after-hours emergency number did indeed work... our first night there was a power outage which set off alarms in the building, and a sleepy but responsive person on the other end of the emergency number did talk us through getting the alarms shut off.

General accommodations: These are budget accommodations. The flat was comfortable, but small and certainly not fancy. It was however a better price than what we'd have paid for the three separate rooms we'd have needed for our group, and was far better suited to our needs. We were one floor up from the street (no elevator, inside staircase). Housekeeping did not come during our stay... I'm not sure if longer stays get weekly service or if you're completely on your own in that regard. No air-conditioning and no fans. With the windows open it was plenty cool at night, but if we'd left them closed or spent much time there in the day it would have been unpleasantly warm. No screens either. I worried about mosquitos, but never saw more than a couple moths and a fly or two.

Bedrooms: There were two bedrooms at the back of the flat, with windows looking out over the back gardens of surrounding houses/apartment buildings. One bedroom had a double bed (probably closest to a full size by U.S. standards), and the other had two twin beds. The beds each came with a welcoming piece of candy on them. The rooms were small, but each room has a small closet, and beds had bedstands, the double room had a dresser, and the twin room had a small desk and chair. There was room to walk around the beds, and there was a wide hall between the bedrooms and the front of the flat that provided plenty of extra room for any suitcases that didn't fit in the bedrooms. Beds were comfortable and linens/blankets adequate.

Bathroom: The bathroom had a tub and shower (little quirky, but serviceable), a sink with some narrow counterspace, a toilet, and a towel rack. There wa also a hairdryer. One towel per person was provided, along with several handtowels. We were told that the hot water was only turned on in the morning and evening. I did get one cold shower, though I'm not sure if that's because it was late enough that the hot water had been turned off, or if the three showers before mine had just exhausted it.

Kitchen: Very small, but had the essentials. There was a four-burner gas cooktop (which we didn't use), basic cookware, sink, fridge with freezer, dishwasher, and a small all-in-one washer/dryer combo unit. I had never seen that kind of all-in-one gizmo before, and had to go through the instruction manual to figure out how to use it (which was conveniently provided in a notebook of information about the flat). It didn't seem to dry very well, though that might have been because I was afraid of frying the clothes and didn't set it hot enough. There was some detergent provided, though I had to guess at which was laundry detergent and which was dishwasher deteregent. I apparently guessed correctly... and was given more when I asked for it. Despite the quirks, being able to run a load each morning and evening was a huge convenience! The flat also came stocked with a collection of cereals, some milk, and a basket of snacks, which made us feel particularly welcome.

Living area: The kitchen, a dining table with 4 chairs, two loveseats, a TV, and some end tables were pretty much all in one living are at the front of the flat. Windows looked out onto the street. We also had two fold-away beds here for our 5th and 6th people. They were nicer than any fold-away I've ever gotten in a U.S. hotel, but of course still not as good as real beds. With a little re-arranging, there was enough room to set both of them out and still be able to sit in the loveseats and get to the table and the kitchen. The front area had trouble with noise from the street, particularly Friday evening when there were a lot of people out and about late at night. This wouldn't have been so bad if we'd had the windows closed, but that made it too hot.

So, again, we would be happy to use this hotel again, and to recommend it to others. For a family group in particular, this was perfect for our needs. As long as you understand what you're getting, you will not regret this choice!

2 Thank Feathin
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your review, we really do appreciate all feedback from our customers as this constantly helps us improve the product and service we provide.
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Stayed in April, was very pleased with apartment with balcony, although compact it was ideal for one night for two people. It had great amenities including cereal and milk for breakfast/tea, coffee, hot chocolate/crisps/chocolate, etc. A convenient short walk to two stations (one at either end of the road, with the apartments based basically half way down the road.)

Enjoyed trip and would definitely recommend.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Lamington109, Guest Relations Manager at Lamington - Hammersmith Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Abbie,
Thank you for your feedback.
I am really pleased to hear that you found the location convenient and the apartment met your needs. I am also thrilled to hear that you would recommend us. We really do appreciate all feedback and we hope to see you again in the future.
Waldorf, MD
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Nice location, quiet neighborhood, we're satisfied with the facilities provided in our unit. for 4 adult & 2 toddlers the 2 bed room we rented were big enough and can accomodate more. We just have difficulty going up as we were on higher floor.

1 Thank Anne C
Lamington109, Guest Relations Manager at Lamington - Hammersmith Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Anne,
Thank you for your feedback, we really do appreciate all our guests comments and thoughts. I am glad overall you enjoyed your stay and am sorry to hear the stairs were a bit of a nuisance. Hopefully we will see you again in the future and although we are unable to do anything about the stairs where ever possible we are happy to help guests with luggage etc up to the apartment.
Pune, India
Reviewed 18 May 2014

The location (about 6-7 mins walk from the Hammersmith tube station) is great. We were a 3 person family and the one bedroom was great for our needs. It was a trifle cramped with the sofa-bed folded out, however not uncomfortably so. Amenities provided were great (the starter pack of cereal/tea/coffee was appreciated). Our primary objective was sight-seeing and the location was great for it. Hammersmith also offered plenty of dining options, so that worked out well too. There are a couple of convenience stores right next door.

Wifi in the apartment worked very well though the TV/Cable were just about average. In case you are travelling with luggage and are on an upper floor do watch out since the stairs are steep (no elevators).

Overall we were very happy with our stay.

Dear Nilesh,
Many thanks for your feedback, we really appreciate all guests reviews as this helps us provide the best service possible. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the location convenient and that the apartment met your needs.
Ko Samui, Thailand
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I come to London regularly on business and usually stay at The Harrington Garden Apartments in Gloucester Road, but they were full. The apartments are not too far from Hammersmith tube and first impressions were great, and was impressed by the little touches in the room, such as chocolates on the bed, towel decoration, Cereals and snacks. The apartment was spacious and had good facilities, however just a few minor things. The batteries in TV remote had gone so could not use, the headboard of the bed was filthy with dust, also the lounge table and kitchen lights were dusty too. The bed was comfy, but the pillow I found to be uncomfortable and flat and found a few small 'pubic hairs' in the bed too. I had an issue with hot water on my first morning, which they did resolve straight away, then on my last morning, I woke up and had to result in having a coldish shower, so must be an issue with the boiler. I reported this in the morning, but was greeted with a face that made me feel as though I was lying and didn't really get much of a sympathetic apology or an offer for some sort of compensation. The shower rail was also broken, so every time moved the shower head, it broke off. Apart from this, which is all minor improvements which can easily be rectified, I would stay again. However when comparing it with being the same cost as what I usually pay at the Harrington, I think they are better value; until Lamington make slight changes at least. Anyway, all in all, I would recommend for a short stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Kaicie,
Thank you very much for your review. We really appreciate you frank and honest feedback as this helps us constantly improve the service we provide. I am sorry to hear that you had a few niggling issues throughout your stay but please rest assured that we take all concerns and issues very seriously and they will all be looked into. I am glad overall you liked the apartment and found the location convenient. We hope to see you again in the future.
Kind regards, Kimberley