“Worth visiting”

Charing Cross Theatre
Ranked #368 of 1,815 things to do in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Since 1864, there has been a theatre under the arches at Charing Cross Station. Known throughout the years by several names (Gattis-in-The-Arches, The Players Theatre and the New Players Theatre), the theatre was rechristened the Charing Cross Theatre in January, 2011 to mark the change in its ownership and the new era on which it was embarking. Although the Music Hall tradition is still honoured with periodic Sunday performances, the Charing Cross Theatre has operated as a legitimate commercial venue since 2002. The current management is committed to presenting affordable theatrical productions of the highest standards, while maintaining a collaborative atmosphere where seasoned professionals can work with emerging young talent
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I really like this theatre. I have been there about 5 times now and I always like coming back. It usually shows things that are a bit different, which just makes is so much special. The sounds of trains from above are also an interesting addition. I would definitely recommend a visit.

All reviews
"phantom of the opera"
"titanic"
in 22 reviews

Reviewed 9 December 2013

Just returned from seeing Keeler at the amazing Charing Cross Theatre. I was treading on burning coals, twice in a week I took my hubby to the theatre which he doesn't love too much, but guess what he loved Keeler especially. I wanted to see it to get a better understanding of the Profumo Affair, and I feel I got this. It was well acted and dramatic, sexy (but maybe could have been sexier!!) and I now have a true understanding of the story. Paul Nicholson played Stephen Ward and directed the show, he was great, and it was bugging me, what did I remember him singing when I was very young, and I have discovered it was 'grandma's party' Remember it? Christine Keeler was played by Sarah Armstrong, very sexy young actress and I really enjoyed her performance. The others were fab too. Stacy Leeson played Mandy Rice Davies and too was excellent. This character I was most familiar with, as she went to live in Israel where I travel to often, and back in the 70's I frequented her restaurant's there in both Eilat and Tel Aviv, but still have no idea why she chose there, if anyone knows let me know. They were great restaurants.
Considering I frequent the theatre a lot, I had never been to the Charing Cross theatre, it is small, intimate and charming. It has a bar and restaurant and I believe a club too, with pre and post theatre menus. It's a really lovely theatre underneath the Arches at Charing Cross. Go see it and make your own decisions, hurry because it ends on the 15th December I think.

2  Thank Nfenton
Reviewed 1 December 2013

What a find this little theatre is - we went to see Keeler there which we loved. It only has approximately 270 seats which makes it feel as if you are part of the production. It is open to very late and as we left we were offered seats at a reduced price to stay and see a farce which was being staged after Keeler. Paul Nicholas is very good as Stephen Ward and we would recommend the show and a trip to this theatre.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

This theatre is located under the arches between Embankment and Charing Cross stations.

You would never believe what lies behind the door if you look from outside but once through the doors it's a lovely little gem of a theatre.

We were going to have a drink elsewhere before the performance. However we went to pick up the tickets and spotted the theatre bar. It's a spacious comfortable bar with good seating and a pleasant way to pass an hour before the show. We popped in after the show as well.

The theatre itself is clean with good seating. The facilities are good and the staff are helpful and friendly.

I would definitely look for shows here again or have the bar in mind for somewhere to have a drink.

See more reviews
Reviewed 18 November 2013

we went to see Keeler on Saturday and to be honest if I didn't know the story it would have be hard to follow, the first half was slow and took a while to get going, the second half it came together better and finished well. The actress who played Christine was good and played the part well, she handled the nude scene very well with just enough flesh !!!! Paul Nicholas was good and I enjoyed his portrayal of Stephen Ward. But I think given the subject " a sex scandal" it could have been a lot more exciting. I enjoyed it but wouldn't recommend to anyone and especially anyone you didn't already know the story !!