“Pub”

The Brown Cow Public House
Reserve with OpenTable
The Brown Cow Public House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5,446 of 24,250 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$14 - US$26
Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Pub-like atmosphere, with bar. Loud noise from the bar clientele. Price is average, food average. Had a chicken & mushroom pie, which was "ok", nothing to write home about. Have been there many times previously, when the same owners owned the restaurant, which was called Mattson's, and had a more interesting menu. Service was very good & the staff friendly.

Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

Went to the Brown Cow for Sunday Lunch. It's in a good location in a wealthy area i.e the Fulham Road.

Not too far a walk from Parsons Green Underground but still a bit of a trek if travelling by public transport from south of the river.

This is what is coined a "gastro pub". We didn't go too gastro all going for the traditional roast options, still we tried a fair range of those between us. Beef, pork and chicken all good, not over generous portions but accompaniments especially the roast potatoes excellent.

Overall nice ambience and good food then but I'd have to mark the place down for its service. Don't think you could call the staff over attentive and they forgot one of the desserts which we had to ask for again after the other had arrived and when they did finally bring it there wasn't a hint of an apology.

I'd also mark the pub ( after all in essence that's what it is) down for its beer, or more specifically it's real ales. Only a choice of three, Greene King, Harvey's and one other (I can't remember the name). First pint of Harvey's admittedly good but after thirst quenched and returning for another only the Greene King was available etc. Greene King IPA for me and likely many others not one you'd normally go for, still that's being a bit subjective.

Apparently The Brown Cow is frequented by the likes of Prince Harry. He wasn't there on our visit...!

Reviewed 21 February 2014

Bad food...Shame as nice atmosphere and good location but really bad steak half of which was just fat. At £19.50 this shouldn't happen when you can go to Roxie's approximately 100 yards away and get incredible steak for £13. The general attitude was that 10% discount was acceptable even though half of the meat couldn't be eaten. They seemed more put out that I asked for a discount instead of realising that as a customer, I really didn't enjoy the food I'd paid quite a lot for and now won't ever eat there again. They did increase their discount but begrudgingly and I left feeling quite uncomfortable.

1  Thank Jennifer R
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I came here on Sunday for the roast, and as always, was not disappointed. The Brown Cow is easily the best restaurant in Fulham: always buzzing, great crowd, super friendly staff, wonderful food, and relaxed vibe. Perfect for a long leisurely Sunday roast with friends, and the Saturday brunch is great too. I had a crab and avocado starter, followed by the roast pork, both of which were superb. My friend had the warm scotch egg (the best in the area), and the roast beef. The specials are always worth a try - I had a beef wellington the other week that was phenomenal. What The Brown Cow does best is consistently deliver, and is a world away from the stuffy pretentious restaurants and gastropubs that are in abundance in Fulham. I will be coming back here regularly, and recommending to all my friends.

2  Thank Fulham_F00die
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Given how favourably I reviewed the Brown Cow the first time round, I feel the need to share my second, far from acceptable, experience. We had a table booked for six people at 4 pm on a Sunday, so were expecting it to be busy. It was indeed rather packed, but that does not excuse the 25 min wait for our drinks order to be taken, and the over an hour wait for our main meals once our starters were finished. To make the situation worse, the staff who took our order finished their shifts, were sat on the table next to us, and managed to start and finish their meals well before we even had a sniff of ours. When the food finally arrived (we all went for roasts), it was tasty and of pretty good quality, that is except for the beef, the amount of which we were given was rather pitiful. Three slices of beef - two of which were predominantly fat, and almost smaller than a single carrot (see picture). As the pub was rather busy, the staff were somewhat rushed, so whenever we were the focus of their attention, the interaction was rather strained and we did not feel at all that we were welcome, paying customers - perfectly epitomised by the banging down of the rather large bill on the table at the end of our meal. Not acceptable for such an expensive pub. We did get an apology about the wait from the manager, and a thank you when we left, but no recompense for the sub-par experience. I would like to say that we will be giving the Brown Cow the benefit of doubt, and be going back for a third visit to see whether this was a one off, but at that price, it simply isn't worth the risk. A word of caution for others, no baby-changing or disabled-friendly facilities.

2  Thank Hert3284