“Some of the best Japanese food I've eaten”
Review of Wabi - CLOSED

Wabi
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Holborn
Sherborne, United Kingdom
“Some of the best Japanese food I've eaten”
Reviewed 16 April 2013

I didn't know this place existed but a friend had been treated here so suggested we had dinner. It's a basement restaurant, very nicely done out and über-cool. The menu is extensive and, frank,y, hard to know what a lot of the dishes were so we put ourselves in the hands of the waiter. We had a fantastic range from tea smoked tuna sashimi with - and it's the only way to describe it - bubbles, and even they had a flavour. We also had a second fish dish with a 'tomato sheet', gin delicious. Each dish was beautifully presented and was a treat for the taste buds. We could have gone on ordering more but frankly it would ha been greed! A real treat, very highy recommended and I would go back sooner rather than later. I gather the chef is ex-Nobu.

1 Thank oldrectorycottage

Stockholm, Sweden
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Japanese food”
Reviewed 16 April 2013

I was fortunate to experience Wabi in London in april 2013. I have never tasted better food, although my experience of japanese food is limited. The staff was discrete, personal and guided us through the menu. In addition, I was very well cared for being gluten intolerant. I strongly recommend this restaurant for anyone longing for an excellent food! This restaurant is discrete and calm and maybe not suited for families with children with too much energy surplus.

1 Thank ChrisBendz
London, United Kingdom
“Like an awful "hip" restaurant from the eighties”
Reviewed 10 April 2013

My friend won two free glasses of champagne to drink at wabi out of the blue (she was the thousandth twitter follower- she didn't enter any competition).
When we arrived they had no idea we were coming. In typical snooty fashion they asked if we booked even though the place was empty! The restaurant manager was a stereotypically arrogant man. In the end we had to show them the email confirming when we were coming!

We also decided to eat there and wish we hadn't. The food was so-so, service non-existant (even though we were the only ones in there) and then they cheekily add 12.5% service charge.

All in all, an achingly "hip" restaurant with trendy elevator music, ambient lighting, non-interested staff and tiny portions of over-priced food. I give this place 10 months before it shuts down.

2 Thank Riobaj
dublin
“intersting fare”
Reviewed 4 April 2013

went here on a Friday night not full expensive interesting fare had mind blowing wasabi foam on a hot fish dish really good tiny cones of chopped fish great lobster rolls so whats wrong tiny portions and no athmoshere service adequate

• Visited March 2013
“Expensive yet mediocre”
Reviewed 1 April 2013

We made use of a £100 voucher to enjoy a dinner for two recently at Wabi.

We ordered:
Cooked salmon appetizer
Beef ponzu appetizer
Nigiri sushi - 2 unagi, 2 anago, 2 saba
Nasuden gaku (2)
Lamb chops
Chilean sea bass
Sapporo (2)

The food was hit-or-miss. Nigiri sushi was excellent (especially the two varieties of eel), as was the Chilean sea bass. The lamb chops were meagre if I am generous with my choice of words. The appetizers were sub-par. The nasuden gaku was the highlight - as excellent as any I've tasted in Tokyo. So good, in fact, that we ordered a second.

The bill was £125 for this set. For what is essentially an izakaya, albeit a good one, this is far too expensive. At £60, it may have been fair value to expensive, at £125 it is outrageous.

The ambience and decor are budget izakaya. Reminds me of numerous similar restaurants in Hong Kong. Lacks the classy aesthetic of Tokyo izakayas. The ambience is clearly at odds with the pricing.

In sum: I would not go there again if I had to pay the entire bill amount. For £25, clearly it is good value. I do not see how Wabi stays in business without either adjusting its pricing, or attracting an undiscerning clientele.

• Visited March 2013