“Fantastic food, albeit expensive. Strange location and quite empty when we were there.”
Review of Wabi - CLOSED

Wabi
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Holborn
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Fantastic food, albeit expensive. Location is a bit off the beaten track for good dining in central London and I would imagine that is why it was quite empty when we were there so it lacked a little in atmosphere. This is a pity because the food was very good.

Reviewed 5 May 2013 via mobile

We went for a Pre theatre dinner, however there was no Pre theatre offer. We were hoping for some sort of sashimi sharing platter but you can only get this on a lunch menu so you have to do make it yourself from the a la cart, which was tasty but would have been easier if they could have had a chefs selection
We also ordered a veggi tempura, and got a prawn one too which we didn't order so they didn't charge us. It was very tasty but we didn't order it as we'd had a late lunch and we were then too full of tempura.
We had duck breast which was good and so was the eel rice hit pot, but for two of us it was just too much food
Also it was quite pricey and felt a bit more fusion than Japanese.

Reviewed 4 May 2013

The food is amazing but spoilt by no atmosphere and poor service. The service started well but went downhill quickly to the point where we had to constantly flag down any server to get service. Too bad as we would love to return but not until the service matches the food. ML from Surrey

Reviewed 1 May 2013 via mobile

Stunning food and clever variations on classic themes. A most enjoyable addition to the Japanese restaurants in London. It's not cheap but there are set lunches which seem to be good value.

Reviewed 29 April 2013

We ate here for my birthday on Saturday night. We were a table of six and had been recommended the restaurant by a friend. We werent disappointed. We arrived early for a drink in the bar and had cocktails. One of our table was running late so we asked to move the booking to later and this wasnt a problem. We sat down to our table. The atmosphere was nice but it did lack a little something especially for a Saturday night. When we have been to Nazoomi or Nobu in the past the restaurant was buzzing well after 11pm but this did make a nice change to be able to hear each other (showing my age). Once at the table we ordered the wine quickly however the taking of the food order took a little time and I was looking for the waiter to have a little more enthusiasm by suggesting dishes on the menu to us that were specialties. We seemed to order nearly everything on the menu, particularly tempura. The tempura to be honest was a little tastless especially the pumpkin and vegetable ones but these werent my choice and when the prawn tempura came out it was redeemed. The edamame was the best I have ever had and tops the edamame at Yellow Tail in the Bellagio!!. My other favourites were the pork belly buns and the small ice cream like creations with salmon, yellow tail and a cream with a charcoal dip. Really good. The food came promptly and we did feel like we had ordered enough for our table. We finished of the mains with some sushi and sashimi. The sushi rolls were really good. To finish off we had desserts which although were amazing were probably too much. They were pretty big and two could have been shared between the table rather than the 4 we had of which 2 were untouched. Special mention to the chocolate 8 ways which was beautiful and really tasty. Although an expensive meal I thought it was worth it.I actually found it better than Nobu & Nazoomi but felt it did lag behind some of the Japanese restaurants I have been to in the U.S. which is why I only rate this as Very Good and not Excellent.