“A brilliant birthday meal”

Bonnie Gull Seafood Shack
Ranked #414 of 24,254 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$28 - US$57
Cuisines: Seafood, Scottish, British
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Fitzrovia
Description: Fresh, sustainable, British day-boat seafood, served on small plates. A concise exciting wine list all available by glass & bottle. Ska and reggae soundtrack. Buzzy vibrant seafood joint with chefs serving customers directly over the bar in the compact open kitchen. Expect a showcase of the best seafood from British shores, a daily changing menu and plenty of cooking theatre!
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

We had a fantastic meal here earlier in the week for my boyfriend's birthday.

The food was amazing, and the service was one step beyond - I called earlier to say that it was a special occasion and they kindly provided a card (fish related pun included) and a candle with dessert.

It was a lovely start to a lovely evening, and we wouldn't hesitate to go back again.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

My husband and I are not great seafood enthusiasts, so we were a bit doubtful when our son picked this restaurant out, but decided to give it a go. How glad we were that we did! We all started with the crab, which was simply served and delicious. We all had different mains, but were all really happy with our choice. I opted for the John Dory, a fish I had never before sampled, and found it delicious. My son went for the sole with ox cheek. I agree it seems a strange combination, and the sole did have some bones, but the ox cheek was meltingly tender and worked with the fish. My husband enjoyed his scallops with chorizo. We finished up with dessert - my pecan pie made with maple syrup and served with clotted cream, was out of this world, while the others enjoyed the cox apple tart. We also had a really excellent bottle of white wine (Jean Colin menetou-salon blanc). The service was pitched just right - friendly and helpful without being intrusive. The bill, at nearly £200, was more than we are used to paying, but it was such a fantastic meal, in pleasant surroundings, with great service, we felt it was worth it. I should also mention that it was a Monday night - not the best night to pick to eat seafood - but the fish was beautiful and fresh. It's quite a small restaurant with an intimate and unpretentious atmosphere. I would strongly recommend it for a special occasion.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

We tried to book over the phone but were told they were full till quite late but thought we would try and get a "walk in" table anyway. Got a parking spot right in front of the restaurant and even though it's Westminster council it was free parking after 6.30pm, result. Anyway there was a space for 2 at the side bar on stools which was just fine for us. Although not the most extensive of menus the choice was good. We started with Loch Ryan oysters which were the tastiest both of us had ever tried anywhere, very fresh indeed. Then we had mussels and and dressed crab salad, the crab was excellent with lovely shaved fennel on top and very moist.
Main course I had Sole with samphire and although a delicate fish with lots of bones to deal it was cooked very well and tasted superb. My wife had a fish bouillabaisse which she really enjoyed though it was if anything a little too salty in the sauce but that is only personal preference.
I'd had this place on my food radar for a while and very glad we took a chance and tried it, we will be back but with friends next time. Well done

2  Thank Jimmy H
Reviewed 12 April 2014

This little restaurant is in the shadow of the BT tower in London. It has a fairly limited menu, but with slightly bizarre combinations of food, some of which do not work at all well together. The portions were very small for the price, and our main courses did not come with vegetables, so overall it was not as good value as competing London fish restaurants in the same price bracket. I had the sole dish which was tiny and full of bones, served with a portion of overpowering meat. In retrospect I'm not sure why I chose it. I ordered ice cream afterwards and was given different flavours to those I requested.....I won't be back, as there are plenty of other fish (restaurants) in the sea that will hopefully be more to my taste.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

My nephew at University College London steered us to this place. Excellent fish and seafood, well prepared and creatively executed. Service was prompt. The place is small. Everything was fresh and can recommend the place happily

1  Thank Dave11743