“Big white space for big shows!”
Review of White Cube Gallery

White Cube Gallery
Ranked #480 of 1,633 things to do in London
London, United Kingdom
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Big white space for big shows!”
Reviewed 1 February 2014

My first visit to White Cube, just 10 mins walk from London Bridge station. I like photography shows and went to see Darren Almond's large nature photos - taken overnight under a full moon; mysterious and impressive. The surprise exhibit was a first-time show in the UK by Chinese artist He Xiangyu; a massive army tank made of luxury Italian leather all collapsed on the floor. Some of the commentary tends toward the pretentious, but then what do you say about the lumpy residue of boiling down several tons of Coca-Cola?
Both on till 13 April; no charge.

Visited February 2014

• Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Kent
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“The only thing that is nice is the building”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I don't really like modern art so I always have a hard time with these places and staff are unwelcoming.

Visited June 2013
London UK
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Great place for art and some nearby food”
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I thought it was excellent. Modern art, you can check the web first. I think the building is great thought the art is why its great to see. Later have some lunch nearby Bermondsey Street or local market or walk around the Bermondsey spa park. Very nice place.

Visited September 2013
Barcelona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“cutting edge gallery on the edge”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

This was my third visit to White Cube Bermondsey, first show I saw was the Anselm Kieffer last year then Anthony Gormley in January and just last week the Sarah Morris - fantastic show - had seen her work at the Hoxton White Cube few years back but her work definitely needs the huge space that Bermondsey offers. It's a public style gallery with the feel of a Cork Street gallery only 10 times larger! The quality of the shows is consistent and there is always more than one artist on display in different disciplines, the book shop is worth popping into, sadly I rarely leave without buying the catalogue which I did this time as the show so impressed me. Aside from the gleamingly stylish and spacious building of impressive proportions is the location. It's not city central but for those who like exploring on foot, as I do, it's perfect for finding out what's in and around this super interesting part of London. I remember going down Bermondsey street in the late 80's and it was shabby and felt miles away, but I do remember loving it as the wharf buildings are gorgeous. These lovely buildings still line this handsome street but have been spruced up and given expensive facelifts, sadly there are too many "stylish penthouse new builds' attracting investors and rich second home owners in an area still populated by social housing, but this is London after all. I noticed a few cup cake cafes (as I call them) but mostly there are one off shops and bars along this stretch which still give it a personal and quirky feel, hopefully it will stay this way. There are lots of interesting streets in and around and it's also just 10 mins to Borough Market so it's really not that far, I wouldn't say no to a flat in this area! It would be amazing to have White Cube on my doorstep! Already checking out upcoming shows for my next trip, if you haven't been, check it out some time soon.

Visited August 2013
Manila, Philippines
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“White Cube Gallery, Bermondsey - a bit off the beaten path”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

A pleasant find that we found from the tip of an artist friend. Modern art in a large, well lit space. Two interesting exhibits the day we were there - Sarah Morris and Marcius Galan. The current exhibits can be found by searching on the internet and they had good photos to help determine if you are interested. A bit of a hike from either London Bridge or Bermondsey Stations but through interesting parts of town that are not as overrun with tourists. A small shop is part of the museum. Worth the effort if you like modern art.

Visited August 2013