“The best cookery school in London”

Cookery School at Little Portland Street
Ranked #15 of 179 Classes & Workshops in London
More attraction details
Owner description: At Cookery School we focus on demystifying cooking, removing jargon and bringing back good home cooking skills at our school in Central London. At Cookery School the atmosphere is fun and informal. We provide the skills necessary to become a confident and independent cook and all our classes have a very high proportion of hands on practice. We use only high quality, sustainable and primarily organic ingredients and are proud to be the only London cookery school awarded the maximum 3 Stars for sustainability from the SRA. With day and evening classes and courses, corporate events and private kitchen hire, there is something for everyone. Winner of "The Best City Cookery School 2013" and runners -up for "Most Sustainable Cookery School 2014" in the UK Cookery School Awards.
Reviewed 12 December 2013

It may be a small school but I cannot recommend it enough. Of course, it’s policy on using the finest ingredients that are available so long as they are sustainable and organic is laudable but the real star of this school is the teaching itself. They don’t just teach you recipes; they teach you to understand food and that is an invaluable skill.

The classes start off with a meet and greet, freshly made nibbles are served before the timetable of the class is explained. Sometimes there is a demonstration or sometimes you are thrown straight into the deep end and start cooking. Everyone cooks. The high staff/student ratio is one of Cookery School strong points. At critical points in the recipe everyone is invited to come and watch the student as the chef explains the process. They’ll also let you know what could go wrong and how to rectify it. I’ve even seen the chef’s purposefully sabotage the demonstration in order to show what could go wrong.

At the end of the class/course you will come away confident and enthusiastic about food. Cooking really is easy when you know how. These courses are worth every penny.

All reviews
in 13 reviews
"techniques"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed 11 December 2013

I'm on my 7th class now! Real hands on cookery, Ros and her team run such lovely friendly classes and you get to eat and take home the fab food that you've just made!

Reviewed 9 December 2013

I attended Cookery School's Fish and Shellfish class. It was taught by Rosalind and Lucy, and comprised three hours of full-on fish tutelage, from how to buy and prepare fish to how to cook with it.

One of the things I really liked was that we learned not only how to buy fish of a good quality, but also how to buy fish responsibly (Cookery School is gung-ho on sustainability). Pollock, mackerel, gurnard, mussels, and squid are all good. Rosalind made the point that to eat sustainably doesn’t mean giving up the foods we love, just “eat less of it, but of a better quality.” I like that philosophy.

The class covered a LOT in three hours. We were in constant motion, trying to get everything done, jumping from one task to the next. One minute I was making a fishcake, the next I was deboning a mackerel. It was exhausting work, and we were all pretty happy to finally sit down with a glass of wine and a sample of all our fishy creations, all of which were delicious.

I'm still making the recipes that we learned at home and definitely consider the class to be time and money well spent. Highly recommended.

1  Thank monicashaw
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Ros and her staff are helpful, knowledgeable, thoughtful and authentic. Classes are small and intimate. I learned a huge amount and it was an unforgettable experience for me

1  Thank Greengal67
See more reviews
Reviewed 9 December 2013

In November I did the All Day French cookery class at Cookery School with a friend and found it to be tremendous fun as well as a really useful learning experience.

We made several classic and several new dishes, a group of ten of us made 2 mains, 2 starter dishes and 2 desserts. Especially useful to learn how to produce professional looking moules mariniere as well as a delicious spinach soup. The teacher was clear, as well as warm and attentive.

A particularly nice touch was that the class ended with us all sitting round the table together to eat all the food we had made with a well earned glass or two of wine!