“The Churchill cigar bar at The Wellesley Hotel London, a Retro experience!”

The Wellesley Knightsbridge, a Luxury Collection Hotel, London
Ranked #334 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Chicago, Illinois
“The Churchill cigar bar at The Wellesley Hotel London, a Retro experience!”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

London's 2007 ban on cigarette and cigar smoking in public places makes it difficult for a gentleman to enjoy the odd Cohiba or other fine cigar on special occasions. There are several quite nice 'cigar bars' as they are called in London, mostly outdoors - protected by shrubs or discreet partitions (in other words you are subject to the elements - more or less.) This past November a friend of mine invited me to have a smoke at the Churchill cigar bar ('terrace') in the quite new Wellesley Hotel in Knightsbridge. I hadn't been to this establishment before but....as he knew that I liked all things 'Art Deco' - this was the place! I was very impressed by the discreet entrance, the warm reception by the hotels personnel - then we were quickly escorted to the Churchill. The surroundings are lovely, comfortable and again discreet. Once seated we were advised that there was a 'minimum charge' (once I looked at the cigar list how could you NOT spend at least the minimum?) Maybe that advisory policy should change! The attendant showed us the list, I was sufficiently impressed so asked to be taken to the humidors, which he promptly did. I was surprised and duly impressed to see a beautifully carved wooden box with a hand-painted portrait of Don Alejandro Robaina, one of the most famous Cuban tobacco growers EVER! When I mentioned to the attendant that I just returned from this mans 'farm' in CUBA - he immediately stood to attention and went over almost every cigar that was in inventory. He asked if I wouldn't consider 'consulting' for them (ha ha, thought I.) The selection of CUBAN cigars was incredible up to and including their £3,000 each Cohiba Behike cigars! Needless to say we spent the 'minimum' (I had a great £100 cigar, after-all and so did my friend.) A wonderful experience to be repeated again on my next trip back to London! A classy joint!

Room Tip: I didn't stay i the hotel - only visited the Cigar bar.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Don R
StefanoLodi, General Manager at The Wellesley Knightsbridge, a Luxury Collection Hotel, London, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Thank you so much for this wonderful feedback. We are very proud of our cigar collection and we are delighted you appreciated it as well. We really hope that you will return to our property during your next visit to London, and hopefully you will experience all our other hotel facilities.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
Northern Ireland
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We had the pleasure to dine in the jazz bar on their table d'hôte menu. We were welcomed by all staff and exceptionally well looked after by the competent, knowledgable and friendly Julia. The sommelier also guided us to wine at an appropriate price for us - sadly our budget doesn't reach into the £1000's per bottle. The food was excellent but it was the service that made the evening such a treat.

We were also serenaded by Darren Reeves on piano. All in all a memorable evening

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
StefanoLodi, General Manager at The Wellesley Knightsbridge, a Luxury Collection Hotel, London, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
How wonderful. Thank you very much for this amazing feed back. We are glad that you enjoyed your experience at The Wellesley. Your commnent has been shared with all our staff members and for the special mention for Julia; she was delighted . Once again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Having stayed at all top Hotels in London in the past, The Wellesley surpasses them all in all areas - service, food, friendliness and professionalism of staff. The Wellesley is quality, class and exceptional attention to detail. We shall return regularly.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
StefanoLodi, General Manager at The Wellesley Knightsbridge, a Luxury Collection Hotel, London, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Dear Eric, I am grateful for receiving such a spectacular comment with so many compliments. We now look forward to welcoming you back making sure you will become a regular guest at The Wellesley.
Eu, France
Reviewed 6 January 2014

A very nice stay that I have experienced in this hotel.
I appreciated the art deco decoration of the entire hotel and specially the suite 505 where I stayed.
The tea for two in the left side restaurant was a delight.
The cigar lounges are a success and I even came back the second night.
The personnel are professional and careful about the customer needs and the Rolls Royce service with one of the concierge was a must.
Usually I stay in the 45 Park Lane, but I’m considering coming back at The Wellesley.

Room Tip: I stayed in very nice suite (505) the bed was excelent, the bathroom very big with a little balcony...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
It is amazing to receive such a wonderful comment on Trip Advisor. I have shared your feedback with the rest of the team. What delights us the most is that you wish to return to The Wellesley and we look forward to welcoming you back.
BC Canada
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Beautiful designer influenced Art Deco hotel in superb location. Staff are professional, but warm and friendly. Nothing is too much trouble. We had a king deluxe..sumptuous, but a little small..suggest a suite would be better.
Jazz bar, restaurant stylish and comfortable.
But...both cocktail bars where smoking environments...one a cigar club...we will not return unfortunately because we found the smell of smoke permeated the entire hotel. Such a shame for non smokers but great for those who do!

Room Tip: A suite would give you more room...but king deluxe was lovely. Rooms are very quiet.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank P F
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us on Trip Advisor . We are delighted that you enjoyed your overall stay and the service we provided you with. Thank you as well for your constructive feedback which has been taken in great consideration.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 December 2013

I'll be honest and say I haven't actually stayed here however I did frequent the cigar bar a few weeks back. I felt compelled to tell everyone how fantastic the bar was and they have an enormous cigar collection. Yes the prices of cigars are far too high as well as the cocktails but it is Knightsbridge so I guess you have to expect that. Definitely worth a visit especially as they didn't get snobby about us smoking our own cigars.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank FoodiePhil101
Thank you very much for this wonderful feedback. We are delighted that you enjoyed the quality of service and product we offer in the Cigar Terrace and that you wished to share it on Trip Advisor. We now wait for you to come and stay at The Wellesley and experience our bedrooms.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 17 December 2013

this is a place with beautiful interior. A beautiful hotel with friendly and helpful staff, the rooms were plush and very comfortable, we also enjoyed the heated external terrace areas and the atmosphere of the hotel, and good location a 3 minute walk to Hyde park and 10 minute walk from Buckingham Palace.
Highly recommended

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MikaelyD
StefanoLodi, General Manager at The Wellesley Knightsbridge, a Luxury Collection Hotel, London, responded to this review, 21 December 2013
I am really happy that you appreciated our hospitality. Your feed back has been shared with all staff members.
We are glad that you feel like recommending our hotel and this is the best compliment we may receive. Once again thank you and we hope you will come to visit us again in the near future.