“High expectations...”

Ranked #330 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Sydney, Australia
“High expectations...”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

...that let my relationship with The Wellesley down.

It is a well-appointed property. The decor, quality of furnishings is fantastic. The service delivered by the concierges, the door person and the driver of the hotel's Royce (who well deserve to be remembered by their names - shame on me - such memorable and impressive service) are absolutely six star, truly outstanding and absolutely perfect. And, I love staying in good quality new(ish) properties - they have that wonderful freshness about them...

So, why not "excellent"? Well, my expectations were high. We booked a junior-suite with a park view. Yes, there is a park, and you can see it perhaps from the hotel's higher floors, not the suite to which we got upgraded (for a fee of course), which overlooked a busy street, with the park trees being just a tree sigh rather than a proper view.

On the last morning, room service breakfast came with seriously off-salmon eggs benedict, which resulted in a prompt visit from the kitchen and sincere apologies, and taking the eggs of the bill. As could be expected. Right. Going beyond the expected would have had the whole breakfast (that is a few pastries and juice) come off the bill. That is what I would do if I wanted my business to be reputed for excellence in service, rather than for its fairness...

There were also a couple of little, perhaps insignificant details that escaped room attendants' attention - a tear in a bathrobe, out of order light console in the bedroom, to mention a couple.

And, a month later I have not received my copy of the invoice - it was to be e-mailed to me... Yes, I could have followed it up again, but should I really have to?

So, go in with no expectations, and if you want a view, ask for a high-up room. You will be pleased with your choice. If you expect excellence, well... experience is relative to expectations...

Room Tip: Generally, there is good noise insulation, but ask for the back rooms if you would like a really qui...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Renata B
WellesleyGM, General Manager at The Wellesley, A Luxury Collection Hotel, London, responded to this review, 10 September 2014
Dear Renia,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Wellesley this summer. I appreciate you taking the time to review your visit as my team and I continually use feedback to improve our standards of service and to enhance the guest experience. We’re delighted you enjoyed the surrounding décor and our complimentary Rolls-Royce drop-off service. I do hope you will allow us the pleasure in welcoming you back to the hotel at a later date.
Best regards….

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This place tries too hard...a silly butler was in room when we got there- never quite sure what he was supposed to do. Overly clever room with too may gadgets that did not function properly- including the front door lock. Public areas compact, and cigar filled bar areas. The restaurant served good food but was very claustrophobic. We tried it once and will not be returning.

Room Tip: If it has a balcony/terrace as we had, make sure you are allowed to open the doors!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Matt H
Dear Matt,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Wellesley on your recent visit to London. Your feedback is important to my team and I as we continue to strive in offering a high level of service and a luxurious guest experience. I hope you will consider The Wellesley again should you return to London.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

The wellesley hotel is one of the best hotel i ever stayed. High level services, helpful staff, great location, luxury car transfer, hyde park infront of you, harrods few steps . I recommend it for sure. Time you will never forget.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Yaser S
WellesleyGM, General Manager at The Wellesley, A Luxury Collection Hotel, London, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Yaser,

thank you for visiting the Wellesley and for writing such a kind review about your stay.

We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and we all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This perfectly located hotel boasts spacious rooms, attentive staff, impeccable cleaning/ turn down service... and above and beyond with the extra effort they went to to recognise that it was our honeymoon. The complimentary fruit in our room and Rolls Royce to use throughout our stay was also a delightful touch! - McBriars

4 Thank MelbourneJules1
Dear Guest,

thank you for visiting us while in London for such a special occasion and thank you for taking some of your precious time to write about your experience.

I am glad that you and your husband had a pleasant experience. The Wellesley team and myself wish you the best of luck.

Greater London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed at The Wellesley two weeks ago. The hotel is truly beautiful and stylish. We were so impressed with the interior design of the hotel and the suite that we stayed in. I think the bathroom is the best bathroom that I have ever experienced. It was a hot day when were in London that day. I normally prefer having a shower than having a bath. However, that day I decided to have a bath as the bathtub is so beautiful and comfortable. Not everything was perfect. However, what made this hotel special was how the staffs dealt with our complaint. I don’t want to mention what our complaint was about on this website as the complaint was handled professionally by the hotel staffs. The Wellesley has some very charming staffs, from the manager in the Front Office, waitresses at the lounge & restaurant, doormen, chauffer, chambermaid etc. We really enjoyed our lunch at the lounge and also our dinner at the Restaurant. The outdoor lounge was a nice place to unwind in a hot summer day. We are not smokers but we did not really mind the smell of cigar smoke. I personally thought that it somehow added “elegance” to the hotel. The restaurant has a very stylish décor. The 5 courses tasting menu was absolutely delicious. We enjoyed everything. Italian cuisine is my favourite and at The Restaurant, they served really excellent Italian dishes with modern twist, very beautifully presented. We’d love to go back one day to enjoy live show at the Jazz Lounge.

1 Thank xnchropis
Dear Guest,

thank you for your kind comment.

I am very happy that the mistake from our side was immediately rectified, and that overall you had a pleasant stay at the Hotel. I will forward your kind comments to all the departments involved, who I am sure will be thrilled.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 28 July 2014

The Wellesley should be at the top of every travel website/publication "ten best" list.

Our family of four enjoyed a suite and a two queen double that had a private hallway between them with the added security of an additional outside door. Yes, the appointments, the view, the decor, the amenities are first-class -but the real luxury was the privacy, space and security. No smoky smell and no sound from the nightlife below. (But I enjoy the smell of a good cigar anyway.) The fresh fruit and truffles were a gracious touch. What is so unusual is every staff member is thoughtful - smart, professional, committed to excellence - and so insightful. Richard, the concierge, read our stressed out look perfectly when we checked in and sent us to the nearby Burger and Lobster - fast, delicious, luxurious - and two minutes away, thanks to the Rolls. From that point on, we didn't make a move without having his recommendations first. And Keith's easygoing approach and knowledge he shared as he drove made us wish he could have been our tour guide throughout our vacation. Butlers and housekeeping were discreet, but always available to help.There is real hospitality here - from the endless free movie selection to the cookies accompanying the pot of coffee.
Plus, only a minute walk from high-end shopping or a stroll through the park, steps from the Tube...
Our June stay at the Wellesley is our new standard - if our family has a less than stellar experience, we give a knowing smile and say,"Well, it's definitely NOT the Wellesley…"

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank pleasnttrvls
WellesleyGM, General Manager at The Wellesley, A Luxury Collection Hotel, London, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Guest,

thank you very much for this fantastic review. I am sure Richard and Keith will be thrilled to read it, as this is what we strive to achieve at The Wellesley: service anticipation and excellence.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Hamilton, Bermuda
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Found this hotel almost by accident on Hotel.com - all our usual haunts during what turned out to be 2nd week of Wimbledon were either full or ridiculously priced. Not sure what the rack rate is at The Wellesley but we were very happy with what we got a short notice. Room was relatively small but beautifully appointed with decent size bathroom. ALL of the staff were excellent from the moment we got out of the taxi and the ride to the station in the hotel RR was an added benefit. I could not recommend this hotel more if i tried. Excellent job all round.

2 Thank ClarkieBDA
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Wellesley for your stay in London, and thank you for writing such a tremendous review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. I will share your opinion with all the members of our team.