“Seems to be going wrong”

Brockley Jack Public House
Ranked #14,061 of 23,381 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$9 - US$18
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Brockley Jack is right next to The Brockley Jack Theatre, a short walk from Crofton Park Station. This pub offers the traditional English pub experience, with a choice of real ales and great pub food
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Eaten as a family many times here but lately seems to be going wrong and will be a while before we return. Difficult to put a finger on where its going wrong, seems to be a variety of little things. Bar staff not as friendly as they was, some of the food is a bit bland and once again we were charged extra for BBQ sauce for my daughters meal. Given her menu choice said it came with the sauce and we only requested but it didn't arrive with her meal it seems cheeky to then charge for this! Whilst that cost is low it suggests they don't know there menu and feels somewhat petty.

1  Thank Misshonoroak

Reviewed 28 August 2013 via mobile

This is out local Pub and eatery but the last three visits have been less than spectacular. Looong waits, cold food and shoddy service.
I've complained to the brewery to no avail.
Don't bother and don't waste your money.

2  Thank Wendy H
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I've lived around the corner from the Brockley Jack for 6 years now. It's my local and I've become quite protective about it, but not blindly!

First of all the staff - They are just fantastic. Lewis and the team are the ultimate hosts, make you feel welcome and can't do enough.

The food - What can I say other than yum! My last meal there was just yesterday, I had the ribs and they were tasty and the meat just fell off the bone. Whether you go for the fish and chips, their gourmet burger, gammon steak and fried eggs or one of the healthy option salads, it's always cooked and presented well, and most importantly tastes fantastic, and is very cheap for what you get. It's good honest pub food, not trying to be anything it isn't.

The atmosphere at the Jack is very chilled and friendly. A mixed bunch of us regulars, and others including people going to the Brockley Jack theatre which is attached to the pub.

The recent refurb there has extended the already nice sun trap of a beer garden, providing more space to sit outside, and it's a smoke-free zone which is perfect (for us anyway!).

I guess the ultimate review is, that after 6 years, we continue to visit regularly, and still love it.

Ah, if there was one thing I wish I could change... It's a real shame we can't take the dog into the beer garden. A more dog friendly policy would be the icing on the cake.

1  Thank Philip W
Reviewed 20 May 2013

You can have a night out at the Brockley Jack as they also have a theatre upstairs, but do check dates and book in advance. The pub has an older age group (which suits us 30/40 yr olds!) it's a very laid back atmosphere that doesn't play music so you can have a good chat. They do have music nights but again check dates as not all the time. The food is really good and the menu is very varied and it's all at a good price. For example the mini burger platter is ideal to share it comes with chips and onion rings and is only £4.50 per person. The staff are nice and friendly and if you eat there they do ask if everything is alright with the food which is a nice touch, even when they are busy.

Reviewed 15 May 2013

This would be a 5 star review had it not been for the measly measuring of the prosecco. I'm not one to take a sliding ruler to the pub, but in my view a glass of prosecco really ought to be poured into a glass and be within about a centimetre AT LEAST from the top of the glass. Here at Brockley Jack they have their measuring things and they won't veer from them. That is my only complaint. And I'm sure it's not unique here. The Burger Platter, on the other hand, is top notch. Lovely pub, great atmosphere, a credit to the area. But.... to get 5 out of 5, I'd suggest they get the wine glass measurements sorted.