“Interesting ... Hit and Miss”
Review of A. Wong

A. Wong
Ranked #599 of 22,544 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Pimlico
Hong Kong, China
“Interesting ... Hit and Miss”
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Came to try this out as I had read a number of very positive reviews in the press and wanted to see for myself whether it is as good as the reviewers had said.

As I was alone (for dinner), I was only able to order a couple of starters. The mushroom, bamboo and vermicelli spring roll was innovative and delicious. The filling was tasty and this was wrapped in a pastry similar to the traditional spring roll wrapping but further wrapped in a crispy shell. It was served piping hot as it should be. The Shanxi province honeycomb oat noodles were also very interesting - small pieces of flat pasta rolled and arranged in a small steaming basket to form the honeycomb. This was served with a very interesting dip.

The mains were, however, less good. The Sichuanese aubergines were slathered with too much of a very heavy sauce, so much so that one could hardly tasted the aubergines which were wholly overwhelmed by the sauce. The dish was also overly oily. Also too heavy and oily were the sauteed market greens. In a good Cantonese restaurant, such sauteed greens should be light and still crunchy. Here, they were oily and overcooked. Only the Xinjiang barbecued lamb was passable but this was also a little too dry for my liking.

Judging by how the starters were better than the mains, I suspect their dim-sum at lunch might be interesting and will try to come try them some time. However, if you are looking for genuine traditional Chinese food, I do not think this is the place to be. And I agree with the comments made by others that service was a little slow. I had to wait an awfully long time for my mains to come after the starters.

Dubai
“Disappointing !”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

My wife and I made a special trip from Wandsworth after being recommended to try the restaurant .We arrived early for lunch, and ordered the lunch special. The ' starters' were tasty but quite small.
The main course took for ever to arrive despite there only being 10 people in the restaurant. The main course of noodles with beef, was very disappointing , small again in quantity with only two tiny pieces of beef. On top of titis despite the service being poor, they actually added 12.5 percent service charge. If it were busy , I think that I would have walked out.

Nottingham UK
“A Wong”
Reviewed 5 March 2014

I didn't find the service as frosty as some people here. The guy on the door was a bit grumpy, but apart from that they were fine. I think the secret is knowing what to expect - it's emphatically not traditional Cantonese dim sum, and if that's what you like, then go elsewhere. It's a kind of fusion of Cantonese and modern European. It was delicious, and a really intriguing and original updating of the dim sum classics. The dim sum portions are smaller than you would get in a traditional restaurant, which might make it seem expensive. I thought that the tea, at £3 a pot, was expensive though

London
“To big for its boots!”
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

We went for an early dinner not long after this place opened. The restaurant was empty so you would have thought they would welcome our custom. Instead they were very frosty and barely acknowledged our presence. After finally getting served we ordered a selection of interesting looking dishes & waited 45 minutes before anything arrived. During this period we watched the other customers who arrived afterwards get served before us. We complained (politely) which was met with a huff and no apology or explanation. The food arrived and was honestly hit and miss, some interesting bits and a crispy duck you would get in your local Chinese takeaway. The bill arrived (not cheap) I didn't want to press our complaints anymore and decided to tweet them the next day to see weather they had an explanation, this was met with denial and rudeness. A simple apology and explanation would have sufficed, good Luck to them, I certainly won't be going again!

London, United Kingdom
“Good-value restaurant”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I dined here with my other half for Valentine's day. Reservation booking wasn't a smooth process, they rang me several times over a week to confirm the table although each time they called I confirmed the table so this showed they were not organised and I was slightly worried if I would have a table when we turn up. We did have a table booked so that was good.

Location - About 5 mins walk from Victoria station, directly opposite Sainsbury's so view wise not very romantic. Open kitchen is nice.

Food - I would rate it 3.5 starts (out of 5). I expected wow factor and the food to be delicious after reading very good reviews (where they compared this place to Hakkasan and Bo) but I was disappointed. We ordered items from the Ala Carte menu - tried the 63 degree ‘tea egg’ with shredded filo (which was nice if you have it with the 2 chilli sauces they provided, otherwise it tasted bland), Dong Po slow braised Blythburgh pork belly (this was good, melting in your mouth and not crunchy), Xinjiang barbecued lamb with cumin, chilli and sesame (I thought too much powder on top and the lamb was burnt and more fat than meat so it had the burnt taste and I didn't like it but my hubby did for some reason), Scotch beef rump with salsify, preserved plum powder and oyster sauce (good taste, but again the flavours are not wow) and the Yangzhou fried rice (which is like any other Chinese fried rice! nothing special so I am not sure why the reviewers that have tried this place hyped so much about some of these dishes and also Michelin recommended, they are pretty average to someone like me who has travelled to HongKong, China and other parts of Asia and know the food/flavours).

Value - The price is very reasonable. We had a nice bottle of wine (again wine prices are really reasonable) and dessert (Tobacco smoked banana, nut crumble, chocolate, soy caramel - this is delicious! my highlight of the evening, when the chocolate/banana ball melted under the hot caramel was poured over it) and the bill was about £70.

Service - 5*, staffs were very attentive.

Would I go back? Probably not...although I haven't tried the dim sum range which is only available during lunch so might go back just to try that.

• Visited February 2014