“New Age Dim Sum”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Pimlico
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

This restaurant offers the traditional Chinese dim sum with a radical makeover. The food was delightfully presented with new flavours .The ambience is warm and welcoming. The most outstanding dish was the Tobacco Smoked Banana dessert with hot soy caramel sauce being poured over a chocolate egg shell which melted into a delicious nut crumble . However, this is hardly a Chinese dessert.Not a serious challenge to the traditional Chinese dim sum operators.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

Came to try this out as I had read a number of very positive reviews in the press and wanted to see for myself whether it is as good as the reviewers had said.

As I was alone (for dinner), I was only able to order a couple of starters. The mushroom, bamboo and vermicelli spring roll was innovative and delicious. The filling was tasty and this was wrapped in a pastry similar to the traditional spring roll wrapping but further wrapped in a crispy shell. It was served piping hot as it should be. The Shanxi province honeycomb oat noodles were also very interesting - small pieces of flat pasta rolled and arranged in a small steaming basket to form the honeycomb. This was served with a very interesting dip.

The mains were, however, less good. The Sichuanese aubergines were slathered with too much of a very heavy sauce, so much so that one could hardly tasted the aubergines which were wholly overwhelmed by the sauce. The dish was also overly oily. Also too heavy and oily were the sauteed market greens. In a good Cantonese restaurant, such sauteed greens should be light and still crunchy. Here, they were oily and overcooked. Only the Xinjiang barbecued lamb was passable but this was also a little too dry for my liking.

Judging by how the starters were better than the mains, I suspect their dim-sum at lunch might be interesting and will try to come try them some time. However, if you are looking for genuine traditional Chinese food, I do not think this is the place to be. And I agree with the comments made by others that service was a little slow. I had to wait an awfully long time for my mains to come after the starters.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

My wife and I made a special trip from Wandsworth after being recommended to try the restaurant .We arrived early for lunch, and ordered the lunch special. The ' starters' were tasty but quite small.
The main course took for ever to arrive despite there only being 10 people in the restaurant. The main course of noodles with beef, was very disappointing , small again in quantity with only two tiny pieces of beef. On top of titis despite the service being poor, they actually added 12.5 percent service charge. If it were busy , I think that I would have walked out.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

I didn't find the service as frosty as some people here. The guy on the door was a bit grumpy, but apart from that they were fine. I think the secret is knowing what to expect - it's emphatically not traditional Cantonese dim sum, and if that's what you like, then go elsewhere. It's a kind of fusion of Cantonese and modern European. It was delicious, and a really intriguing and original updating of the dim sum classics. The dim sum portions are smaller than you would get in a traditional restaurant, which might make it seem expensive. I thought that the tea, at £3 a pot, was expensive though

Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

We went for an early dinner not long after this place opened. The restaurant was empty so you would have thought they would welcome our custom. Instead they were very frosty and barely acknowledged our presence. After finally getting served we ordered a selection of interesting looking dishes & waited 45 minutes before anything arrived. During this period we watched the other customers who arrived afterwards get served before us. We complained (politely) which was met with a huff and no apology or explanation. The food arrived and was honestly hit and miss, some interesting bits and a crispy duck you would get in your local Chinese takeaway. The bill arrived (not cheap) I didn't want to press our complaints anymore and decided to tweet them the next day to see weather they had an explanation, this was met with denial and rudeness. A simple apology and explanation would have sufficed, good Luck to them, I certainly won't be going again!