“Convenience after visiting Tate Britain”
Review of A. Wong

A. Wong
Ranked #821 of 23,571 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Pimlico
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Conveniently located if you are visiting Tate Britain. A rather small restaurant. Three of us had dim sum after on 19th April. Efficient, friendly service. The dim sum menu is rather small but interesting. Very expensive, however, for dim sum. Compared with Royal China, I rate Royal China much higher, as far as choice, atmosphere and value for money.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

Andrew Wong is a young and very passionate chef who spent a lot of time training and visiting the kitchens of many restaurants around China. During Andrews travels he picked up cooking techniques and old family secrets to create the unique Chinese cuisine which he cooks and serves in his restaurant…Peking Duck being the star of the show.
I was booked into the restaurant for a friday evening dinner. On Tuesday afternoon i received a message to inform me that my Duck had started undergoing its preparation….wow , 4 days. I was getting the pre-show spiel to get my tastebuds tingling and when i say pre “show”, that`s exactly what it was going to be. For a food geek this meal was better than going to see a superstar in concert or a West end musical….this was Andrew Wongs show. A “Taste of China” , encompassing 2000 years of culinary history across 14 national borders. Chef Wong would showcase a selection of dishes to demonstrate to us the plethora of flavours that existed throughout the countries kitchens.
Highly recommended but don't bank on getting the Duck as I believe that chef only prepares a couple every week.....its worth asking though. If not then don't worry....the rest of the food is amazing.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

When it comes to Chinese food, I love it simple, and have spent many happy hours slurping away in Maxwell's food court in Singapore. But this was a delicious alternative experience. We took the 10-course tasting menu (GBP 45 each), which gave us access to a range of brilliant flavours and textures - and a couple of so-so experiences too. Highlight for me was the "63 degree tea egg with shredded filo and satay powder", which was delicate and mouthwatering - poached in warm green tea, apparently; the tangy "Xinjiang barbecued lamb with cumin and chilli served with pomegranate salad" and the totally awesome "Snow ball merengue, lychee granite, mango puree and lime sorbet". The dumplings were OK, but I've had far, far better in Singapore and Shanghai. Definitely disappointing was the "Poached Scottish razor clam with sea cucumber, pickled cucumber, vinegar tapioca and wind dried sausage", which tasted like....sausage. Bleah. Service was splendid. Our waitron brought each course with an explanation of what "Chef Andrew" (Wong, presumably) had done. We were warned the 10 courses would take 2.5 hours - and they did. Ambience is fine, but Wilton Street surroundings are uninteresting and slightly out of the way - it's worth the visit.

Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

This restaurant offers the traditional Chinese dim sum with a radical makeover. The food was delightfully presented with new flavours .The ambience is warm and welcoming. The most outstanding dish was the Tobacco Smoked Banana dessert with hot soy caramel sauce being poured over a chocolate egg shell which melted into a delicious nut crumble . However, this is hardly a Chinese dessert.Not a serious challenge to the traditional Chinese dim sum operators.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

Came to try this out as I had read a number of very positive reviews in the press and wanted to see for myself whether it is as good as the reviewers had said.

As I was alone (for dinner), I was only able to order a couple of starters. The mushroom, bamboo and vermicelli spring roll was innovative and delicious. The filling was tasty and this was wrapped in a pastry similar to the traditional spring roll wrapping but further wrapped in a crispy shell. It was served piping hot as it should be. The Shanxi province honeycomb oat noodles were also very interesting - small pieces of flat pasta rolled and arranged in a small steaming basket to form the honeycomb. This was served with a very interesting dip.

The mains were, however, less good. The Sichuanese aubergines were slathered with too much of a very heavy sauce, so much so that one could hardly tasted the aubergines which were wholly overwhelmed by the sauce. The dish was also overly oily. Also too heavy and oily were the sauteed market greens. In a good Cantonese restaurant, such sauteed greens should be light and still crunchy. Here, they were oily and overcooked. Only the Xinjiang barbecued lamb was passable but this was also a little too dry for my liking.

Judging by how the starters were better than the mains, I suspect their dim-sum at lunch might be interesting and will try to come try them some time. However, if you are looking for genuine traditional Chinese food, I do not think this is the place to be. And I agree with the comments made by others that service was a little slow. I had to wait an awfully long time for my mains to come after the starters.