“Shortchange me”

The Freemasons Arms
Ranked #5,095 of 22,376 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Cheap Eats
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Covent Garden
London
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Shortchange me”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Nice pub great for the area

Unfortunate that the bar maids short change you how many times does this happen I wonder in a very nice and wealthy area ?????

As a busy and established area would recommend checking change very carefully

1 Thank Cunto

London, United Kingdom
“Outrageously miserable and overbearing barmaid taints nice little pub”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

We visited this well located pub in the heart of Covent Garden to watch the match in mid April 2014. It was crammed full of revellers hoping to catch a glimpse of their favourite players. Sadly, what was only meant to be a fun evening watching Manchester United's manager making a fool of himself turned into one watching the venue's management doing the same.

A grey-haired sourpuss behind the bar, the landlady I assume, decided to take centre stage, barking orders at startled punters left, right and centre. She delighted in moving our party off of the chairs we had found; apparently they were prebooked which was fair enough. However, when the party that had prebooked didn't want to use the chairs, and we took them back to ease our weary limbs, she barked again that we needed to "grow up" and took the chairs behind the bar where no one could sit on them. Lovely.

When the party left, there was a short scramble for the seats. The lady then proceeded to insist that everyone moved round. When someone replied that he was fine she went mental, shouting, "I can easily kick you out you know!" Nice.

Finally the food. Foul. The fish and chips at best resembled good assbled from Iceland-bought fare and the cheesecake was Asda's £1 own at best. How yummy!

All in all, this place is best avoided. But feel free to simply their atmospheric and culinary delights for yourself if you don't believe me!

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank dan_saviola
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Good Pub Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

Good menu displayed outside, and we had good pub food here. Efficient service, well cooked food, just what we needed. Lovely staff. There seemed to be quite a few 'regulars' here too, which says it all.

• Visited January 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Nice place for a late lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

Set on the non shopping part of Long Acre, I popped in on a Friday afternoon for a bit of lunch. Nice ambient temperature, comfortable, and friendly staff, oh and a few Kentish real ales. I can say that the Ale is nicely kept, and whitebait in paprika (with chips) an ideal partner. My fellow drinkers were on red wine, I have to say a tasting of the Chilean Merlot was very comforting too. Not a busy pub, but enough people around for an atmosphere, so plenty of room to gather one's thoughts. I like this place, I shall return.

• Visited January 2014
“Quiet.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

I found this Shepherd Neame Pub in Long Acre by accident.
The Pub was quiet when I called by mid afternoon.
It was a bit of a novelty drinking Spitfire on draught, I usually get mine in Tesco’s.
I had Lunch elsewhere but the Menu looks interesting, I will return.

• Visited October 2013