“Metal bar in slice of sponge cake!!!”
Review of Chinatown Bakery

Chinatown Bakery
Ranked #30 of 306 Bakeries in London
Cuisines: Chinese
Neighbourhood: Soho
Neighbourhood: Soho
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

I bought a triangle sponge cake slice from this place today which looked and tasted lovely but it had a 4cm slim metal bar concealed within it. What the hell! Just imagine if I had not noticed it in time and swallowed it! Never going back there again!

4  Thank Philberfox

Reviewed 28 May 2014

You go around with tongs and put what you want on a tray. There are a few things that they get for you though. It's so cute and interesting, plus a cheap snack that tasted good. Go by here if you like different types of baked goods and need a snack. I found it interesting that there is a "watch for pickpockets" sign inside the store. We didn't see any questionable characters lingering, but watch your wallet just in case.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

I bought a delicious slice of sponge cake here. Lots of delicious looking items sweet and not sweet. It was crowded and the staff helpful, but I wish there were more room to peruse. I almost ordered a sponge cake with fish filling. Yikes! If you go, take your time and do not feel rushed if it is crowded!

Reviewed 30 April 2014

I've been coming here for over 15 years now and it is still my first choice by a mile for baked chinese products. The buns are always soft and fresh, there is a large selection of baked goods found in Hong Kong and their window display always entices you to go in.
The smell inside is wonderful, it can get a bit busy inside when there is a lot of people trying to get served but it really is worth it. Try their chicken pie!

Reviewed 12 April 2014

We went there after having a splendid lunch on the other side of the road. We bought there a couple of buns with coconut and others with beans, after tasting the one with beans, I told my wife we had to buy a couple more, as I was already finishing gulping down one. The staff is very friendly too.