“Great for a quick stop in London”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Union Jack Club
Ranked #4 of 838 Speciality Lodging in London
Singapore, Singapore
“Great for a quick stop in London”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I stayed in the Union Jack Club with friends (who are members) for a quick overnight stop in London on a recent holiday. The location is ideal - right next to Waterloo station and walking distance to the London Eye and South Bank and all the tourist spots along it.

The staff were friendly and courteous and the rooms were clean and comfortable for a night or two. I had a suite with a bathroom that was on the side of one of the train tracks, however I'm a heavy sleeper so it didn't bother me.

Note if you're traveling in the summer the rooms are not air conditioned. Again, this didn't bother me (coming from Bangkok!) but that might be a concern for other people.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank MissRissMelb
UJ C, Manager at The Union Jack Club, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Thank you for the response its really appreciated. We do try to make the experience a positive on and hope to see you once again when you're back in London. Even if its just passing through the doors are open to all serving non-commissioned members of the Armed Forces and ex Service once they've joined. Kind regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Turkish first
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014

the ujc is ideal for us when we go to london.we get of the train at waterloo,get a lift to street level,cross the pedestrian crossing and we have arrived.the club is very well run.it is always clean,the food and bar prices are reasonable when compared to the local pubs and restaurants.the staff are very friendly and courteous.the only criticism i can think of is if you have your windows open there is the constant noise of the railway outside,so it is better to get a room on a higher level.also if you plan to stay for more than a few days you might run out of suitable choices on the menu.otherwise it is excellant,we go back every year.
charlie,waterlooville.

Room Tip: the higher floor you go,the less noise you hear from the railway.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank charlie c
UJ C, Manager at The Union Jack Club, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Thank you for the response its really appreciated. Our location is a great selling point we agree. Globe theatre, London Eye, Southbank, Covent Garden all within 15 minutes walk. Hope to see you again soon.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Visited the club as a London sightseeing base. Warm welcome by courteous staff, our double room was a bit basic but the location - a stone throw from Waterloo rail station and 10 min Walk to the London Eye and the Embankment - far outwayed any dated furnishings.
Food was but pricey but good quality. I can't recommend this place enough when stopping over in London and I highly recommend a walk along the Embankment which is so close to the hotel.
Nice pub just opposite for a relaxing post sightseeing drink - think it's the Wellington !

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank kovertuk
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Yet again unable to get accommodation here, this is becoming a tedious norm.

I believe the Union Jack club was set up to allow soldiers somewhere to stay in London. In the 23 years of my service I was rarely able to stay here because the management saw fit to allow Eurostar personnel to stay here with priority over serving personnel. So, I would come here having not been allowed to stay when returning from operations abroad to find the bar full of French train drivers. This is not the case now but I guess this is mainly due to the switch of train stations for the Eurostar and possibly not a management decision.

So, today yet again I ring to be told no rooms available. So you have to ask yourself why should I be a member of an organisation that I now pay to be a member of (I'm now retired) yet I cannot use. Let us now investigate the people who are allowed to use the UJC despite being assured to the contrary retired officers do use the UJC as do the emergency services and other groups. So, let me get this correct, I whilst serving couldn't get a room because of Eurostar employees. Now retired I can't get a room because it is overbooked and they allow emergency services and others including retired officers to stay.

So, exactly what about the founding principles of this organisation are still being adhered to? When does business come before principle..remember this is a charity?

I'm afraid my membership will be cancelled in January as this organisation unfortunately does not reflect the high standards of the personnel it is supposed to serve.

All of these points were brought to the attention of the duty manager today who was made well aware of this review on trip advisor.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
15 Thank JohnSunderlandUk
UJ C, Manager at The Union Jack Club, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
I would like to contact you before responding to understand your needs and wondered if you might email me directly? matt@ujclub.co.uk. Many thanks.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I have been frequenting the UJC for over 3 years and am a member of the club. Here are my honest opinions articulated as Pros & Cons:

Pros:

Fantastic location opposite Waterloo and close to South Bank
Prices unbeatable for Central London
Beautiful library, for the most part a tranquil place, furnished with comfortable Chesterfield furniture and a huge assortment of reading material including a couple of tabloids lying around
Very nice and quite large and newly renovated restaurant.
Self-service breakfast is simply superb with something for everyone
The quality of other meals is fine, at a fairly reasonable price, but menu a bit pedestrian. Fish & Chips are not great but then again London is not the benchmark for this culinary delight
Lounge bar area expansive and comfortable with a couple of large-ish screen TV's
If you visit the club often enough, you get to know the bar staff - great people
By London standards, or anywhere else for that matter, bar prices are good
The cleaning staff maintain a high standard of cleanliness through the accommodation and other areas of the club
Nice coffee bar in reception offering good value and a smiling face. You can purchase a daily paper here and I like the way they do the Union flat on top of your cappuccino!
Free use of local gym a definite perk
Great venue to meet colleagues, friends or business acquaintances. However, some members inviting the latter in to the club often hog areas of the library which they try and transform into a board room
Fantastic atmosphere in the bar where you will always find a friendly face. Very much like your Service days

Cons:

Reception staff can appear a little surly. Some will make you wait until 2pm check-even when rooms are ready simply because it is a 'rule' although did not happen to me on my last visit as I was offered early occupancy. I wish I hadn't been (see next point)
My room had a connecting door to the adjacent room. Every word that the couple next door uttered was clearly audible even though they spoke in whispers after realising they had a neighbour
The rooms that I have stayed in over the last year or so appear to have been refurbished from the bottom end of the retailers. You know the ones! The shower cubicles have a very temporary 'all at sea' feel
The maximum amount of rooms have been crammed in to the building resulting in some rooms being of quite a strange shape

To sums up then:

If you are looking for camaraderie or on a budget and don't mind the noise of the trains then the UJC is for you.

If you are looking for a little more comfort, perhaps in a slightly quieter area but at a slightly more expensive room rate then the VSC is worth considering.

I shall continue to give my support to the UJC because I like what it stands for but I shall probably look at the VSC for accommodation during my visits to the capital.

Room Tip: You don't have much say but the higher you go the less noise there is
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank Hayner1957
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We have stayed here every time we come to London and although this is a military club for members and ex members of the armed services and civilian services, the facilities, accomodation and meals are superb. At over £90 per double (less if over 60) there is no cheaper stay in this part of London within walking distance of the South Bank, London Eye and just about every attraction you can think of. Waterloo station is just across the road and is your gateway to London via the underground. Festival Hall, Tate Gallery etc. We love staying there as it is such good value.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ChrisW558
UJ C, Manager at The Union Jack Club, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Chris, thanks for the response and we too feel the UJC offers great value for money in central London. As you say our location next to Waterloo allows a lot of London to be explored on foot which saves money, allows you to see much more and is for individuals and families more fun we think.
Look forward to seeing you and yours in the Union Jack Club again soon.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 27 June 2014

The Union Jack club is a military club for members of the UK and other military forces. I am an ex member of the Australian Defence Force and easily organised accommodation for 9 of us. Excellent location right opposite the Waterloo Station. We had a three bedroom flat with cooking and laundry facilities. The staff were excellent - helping to print off emails, giving directions etc. The restaurant was very reasonable in prices (about half of outside restaurants) and the bar prices were very reasonable.
Great place to stay for any Military, ex military family or person in London.

Room Tip: The rooms facing Waterloo station are noisy (as would be expexted!!). Maybe ask for the other side...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends