“Wow! ”

Price range: US$8 - US$36
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Belgravia
Description: Ametsa brings the flavours of the Basque Country to the heart of Belgravia at COMO The Halkin. Ametsa’s approach is rooted in the traditions of Basque cuisine, pairing the techniques of Spain’s Basque Country with British seasonal ingredients to create a selection of light tapas-style dishes and heartier sharing plates. The result is a relaxed neighbourhood dining experience for everyone to enjoy, lunch or dinner. Ametsa’s Private Dining Room can be reserved separately for a gathering of up to 24 guests, or in conjunction with the restaurant for a larger function accommodating up to 68
Reviewed 16 July 2016 via mobile

I love food and trying new experiences, so decided to try the five course dinner. What a delight it was! Restaurant is absolutely gorgeous, located at the back of the ground floor of the Como hotel in a quiet location. Great service as well, very attentive throughout the dinner. But it's the food that stood out... From the appetisers to dessert it was an incredible journey, great combination of flavours, flawless presentation and nice twists. The egg in a leaf was outstanding, I have to say this was my favourite dish as it takes something so simple to the next level. Loved the idea behind the dessert, we had the yellow brick road which was one of the best desserts I ever tried. Really enjoyed the whole experience and would love to try it again in the future.

Dear Janinepk,

Thank you for sharing your Wow review on Ametsa. Please do come back and visit us again very soon.

Regards,

Reviewed 16 July 2016

We visited Amesta for my husband's 40th birthday. This is probably the best restaurant we have ever eaten in. We had the tasting menu with wine flight. Every course and glass from start to finish was amazing and intriguing. If in doubt do go for the wine flight it really does complete the experience. The staff went above and beyond to make us feel welcome and spent time explaining the dishes and wine. We left feeling thoroughly excited about the experience we had just had and were still talking about it the next day. We cannot recommend this restaurant highly enough and are planning our next visit. Thank you to the wonderful staff for making this occasion truly special.

Dear robski90,

Thank you for your wonderful review on Ametsa. I was happy to hear that you enjoyed the tasting menu and wine paring. Please do come back and visit us again.

Regards,

Reviewed 14 July 2016

A full house on a Monday night so make sure you book ahead - you are guaranteed a polished professional experience with intriguing well-executed dishes on offer presented with flair. Not sure that we really appreciated being told that our main dishes would have 'accompanying complementary sides' without our being allowed any choice. We do prefer to be more involved rather than just receiving the dishes, but this aspect aside, it was an interesting meal.

Dear Roshea,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your experience in Ametsa. We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed 29 June 2016

My partner and I decided to try Ametsa with Arzak Instruction for the first time with the recent FT Weekend offer. Easiest comment is to say we were not disappointed in the least. Had a lovely table by one of the windows and since the pouring rain had stopped, the view of the courtyard was very conducive to our evening. The offer included a glass of champagne which was promptly poured by our ever attentive server Juanlo. The offered 5 course tasting menu looked intriguing so we settled back for the fun to begin. Each course was brilliant in its presentation and taste. The wines we discussed with the sommelier were both excellent choices. As our main arrived, I asked if by chance the chef might substitute something for the indicated option; nothing wrong with what was being offered, just not a favourite of mine. Pleased to say, without question, an exception was made, a lovely chocolate dessert arrived, and no hidden additional charge for this substitution.
This was one of the introductory evenings that will make us return to experience all the main menu has to offer. I look forward to that in the not so distant future.

Date of visit: June 2016
Emmet M, Manager at Ametsa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2016

Dear Mark B,

Thank you for taking the time to write a wonderful review on your dining experience in Ametsa. We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed 29 June 2016

This was my 2nd time dining at this restaurant. Previously before Ametsa took over from Nahm, I also had the chance to eat there once.

I absolutely loved the intimacy of this restaurant. It feels very cosy and private yet diners still can hold conversations without feeling very cramped in.

I initially booked for the set menu @ £38 per person which includes a glass of cava, a starter (consisted of 3 types of tapas presented as sharing plates in the middle of the table), choose 1 main from choice of 2 dishes and 1 dessert from choice of 2 dishes. Tea/coffee served with petit fours were part of the menu as well. On top of that, because we were still feeling a bit peckish, we ordered 2 extra mains from the a la carte menu i.e. the Iberian pork "Presa" on embers and suckling pig on carob crumbs.

The scallops and foie corn cob from the tapas section were my favorite starters. The chicken and corn truffle main was equally as delicious as well. The chicken was tender and the gravy complemented it well with crispy chicken skins. The Iberian port was a tad too tough/chewy in my opinion. My companions agreed with me. Probably a min or so less cooking would be perfect. The suckling pig was delicious and melt-in-your mouth. Coupled with the prok scratching salad drizzled with truffle oil it was super yummy. My dessert of orange toast and spinach was just the perfect ending to a wonderful dinner.

Service throughout was impeccable. Staff were so courteous and knowledgeable especially the manager/sommelier who recommended fabulous wine pairings to my dining companions. He took in our comments on the Iberian pork dish and apologised. Even offered us port/dessert wine on the house.

It was a wonderful experience and I would thoroughly recommend this restaurant.

Date of visit: June 2016
Emmet M, Manager at Ametsa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2016

Dear Kent O,

Thank you for sharing your experience following your visit to Ametsa.

We look forward to seeing you again very soon.