“A wonderful night - memorable and delicious”
Review of The Five Fields

The Five Fields
Ranked #29 of 24,239 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$79 - US$114
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Chelsea
Description: Chef Patron Taylor Bonnyman, working in collaboration with Head Chef Marguerite Keogh, offer elegant and playful modern British cooking with an emphasis on native British artisanal produce. Having worked in some of the finest kitchens in London, New York, and Paris the kitchen brings together its influences to create contemporary, seasonally focused, and ingredient led dishes. The food balances luxurious indulgence with delightfully fresh simplicity.
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

I had arranged to take my wife as part of her Christmas present and I am so glad I did. The ambience was excellent if not a little quiet when we started at 6:45 and we chose to have the tasting menu which was a delight. There were many excellent courses particularly of note was the steak tartare, the scallop, the langoustine (we were the first diners to ever have that course) and the lamb and rhubarb (I was the first to have this too). The service was well-drilled yet relaxed and friendly. The chef patron spoke to us at the end of a truly great evening. We will be back !! Thanks to you all

1  Thank markjg65
TheFiveFields, General Manager at The Five Fields, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Dear markjg65,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review. I'm so pleased that you were able to join us and treat your wife as a Christmas present.

The Lamb with Rhubarb and Black Olive was indeed a brand new dish on the evening you visited, as was the Langoustine with Chorizo and Butternut Squash, so it's great to have such positive feedback. Much appreciated!

I do hope that we'll be able to welcome you back again soon and I look forward to it.

Matthew

Write a ReviewReviews (1,161)

Reviewed 8 February 2014

We've lived in London for almost two years and have dined in most of the top restaurants.
The Five Fields wins hands down - service, food, presentation, wines, atmosphere - and in our opinion beats most Michelin starred restaurants here.

From making a reservation via email because we couldn't get a booking online - prompt polite response to the warm greeting at the restaurant - we suspected a special evening. The service was superb - friendly and knowledgeable which made us feel right at home. The menu is fixed price - two choices of 3 course or tasting menu. Lovely amuse bouche and outstanding breads (particularly the buttermilk bread). The foie gras starter was delicious and beautiful and the quail with truffle was outstanding. Mains were lamb and monkfish - great food. We highly recommend and can't wait to return.

1  Thank SteveandCathyO

Dear Steve and Cathy,

What wonderful compliments, thank you very much.

I'm so pleased we were able to accommodate the booking. I would always suggest giving us a ring directly if there aren't any tables available on-line. We'll do everything we can to fit you in if we are able.

I'm glad you enjoyed the evening from start to finish and everything in between. I will certainly pass on your lovely comments to the entire team and we all look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

My fiancé took me to The Five Fields to celebrate a special occasion, and we had an amazing evening.

The food was fantastic, and the wine matched to each course also brilliant. The sommelier took the time to tell us about each wine and why it was chosen for each course.

The evening was not cheap, but it really was worth every penny. The dining atmosphere is intimate, and I would especially recommend it for couples and small groups.

Since our visit, I have recommended the restaurant to anyone who mentions having something to celebrate. All those who have also been have reported back equally delightful experiences.

1  Thank FoodieSELondon
TheFiveFields, General Manager at The Five Fields, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2014

Dear FoodieSELondon,

I'm so pleased you and your fiance enjoyed your evening with us, and that we were able to help make it memorable.

I'm glad that you enjoyed the tasting menu, and the matching wines make a wonderful complement to the evening with some very interesting and surprising discoveries.

Thank you for recommending us to your friends, and I hope that we can welcome you back again very soon.

Reviewed 7 February 2014

If the first time I ate here was truly outstanding, the second time was very good indeed. I unhesitatingly recommend the restaurant; great feel, attentive service, and very good food. This time round we ate off the menu - the full tasting menu seemed a bit daunting for mid-week. My veal sweet bread with dates in tamarind was extremely good; perfectly cooked lamb with smoked potato and some egg creation was exceptional; the bllod orang pudding concoction was an over fussy melange - but two out of three dishes hit the spot and the last was imaginative but not my thing. My wife declared her scallops and cauliflower to be so good as to be historic, while her fish main was cooked to perfection. Like all fine dining restaurants, the meal is interspersed with more amuse bouche and the like than you really need - and while some got an "A" for effort, not all were worth the undoubted hard work the kitchen put in. By the way, their bread is truly fantastic - fresh, interesting and piping hot The wait staff seemed more harassed than on our first visit, and I do hate the convention of having every dish explained: I am not yet so absent minded that I have forgotten just what I ordered.
All in all, another excellent experience. Which brings me on to the rather astonishing recent review posted by the Manchester reviewer. Without addressing the entire hysterical rant, I certainly do not recognise the attitude about which she complains - but I would say that anyone who claims they were bullied into choosing a dish and who thinks it reasonable to use an intrusive flash in an intimate restaurant is perhaps a little bit light on both the backbone and the empathy side in the first place. I therefore read the entire review in that light.

1  Thank D j R

Dear D j R,

Thank you very much for your review, and it was a pleasure to welcome you back again for dinner on Thursday.

The Scallop dish with pistachio and cauliflower is one of my very favourite dishes, so I think your wife's adjective of 'Historic' is wonderful.

I very much appreciated your very thoughtful compliments and criticisms after your last visit, and the same goes for the constructive comments here - invaluable.

The menu descriptions are often much more spartan than what the dish is actually composed of, which is why we tend to explain in more thoroughly at the table, but I have put a note on your booking notes that you prefer a more restrained service.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 7 February 2014

We visited the restaurant last night for a belated birthday celebration and enjoyed a fabulous evening. We had the tasting menu and every course was delicious as were the wines which were chosen to go with each course. Particular mention must go to the breads, particularly the buttermilk loaf and the black olive roll. The service was very attentive without being intrusive. All in all a memorable experience.

1  Thank Irena S

Dear Irena,

Thank you so much for your review, and I'm so glad we were able to welcome you in to celebrate Peter's (belated) birthday.

Our pastry Chef Chris's bread gets much is wonderfully moreish, so I'm pleased you enjoyed it so much. I will be sure to pass your compliments to him and the entire team.

It was a pleasure to have you all in and I hope that you'll be able to join us again soon.