“Good but tiny portions”

Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Chelsea
Description: Chef Patron Taylor Bonnyman, working in collaboration with Head Chef Marguerite Keogh, offer elegant and playful modern British cooking with an emphasis on native British artisanal produce. Having worked in some of the finest kitchens in London, New York, and Paris the kitchen brings together its influences to create contemporary, seasonally focused, and ingredient led dishes. The food balances luxurious indulgence with delightfully fresh simplicity.
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

You really can't complain about the quality of the food and its presentation. But sometimes quantity plays an equally important role in reviewing the cuisine of a restaurant, especially when taking the price of the menu into account. Its therefore impossible to provide a better review to the five fields restaurant!

8  Thank drsimon81
TheFiveFields, General Manager at The Five Fields, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear DrSimon81,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review.

While I'm very pleased you appreciated the quality, taste and presentation of the food, I'm very sorry to learn that you thought the portions were small.

The three course prix fixe menu, currently at £50, is supplemented by some wonderful canapés, an amuse bouche, pre dessert and petit fours- all supplemented by our very generous selection of four home-made breads.

Alternately we have a nine course tasting menu with similar accoutrements as above.

None the less, I am very sorry if you left us anything short of delighted and satiated.

There are newer reviews for The Five Fields

Reviewed 8 August 2014

This is the second trip we have made to the Five Fields for a special occasion and both times we have left overawed by the food and the service. Indeed, I'm quite reluctant to submit this review because it will contribute to making it more difficult to getting a table in the future. That said, it's inevitable that word will get around even more than it has and the obvious hard work and effort from the team in the kitchen and FOH needs to be recognised.
My wife and I don't count ourselves as foodies but I suppose we have been round the block a bit and have been lucky enough to go to a lot of the big name places in London. The Five Fields is very different (and, as a result, better) from the off - you feel lucky to be there but unlike other venues I could mention, the staff are genuinely welcoming and it's unpretentious. We would not ordinarily choose a tasting menu but have done so twice. It has been excellent both times and the timing between courses was metronomic. There are too many highlights to list although this time I thought the lamb, the scallops with smoked eel and the beef with onion crumble merit a mention. Others have talked about the chocolate soil with peas which is v clever and works in a way that it really shouldn't. The wine choice is broad and very reasonable for a restaurant this good. Two of our party were not fans of foie gras but without fuss or delay a goats cheese alternative was offered and I'm told it tasted as good as it looked.
It's hard to sum up this restaurant although it is clear that the team works very well together - what I think we all really liked about this place other than the food was that it is small, cosy (no big tables or groups) and relaxed. What makes the food so good ? It's difficult to describe but the magic here seems to be that it's not over engineered and that the ingredients (which are clearly high quality and very carefully selected) are allowed to speak for themselves so it's the way they are combined that give you the wow factor. We'll be back (if we can get in).

1  Thank Southwest4

Dear Southwest4,

Thank you so much for your great review. It was a pleasure to have you and your wife back in and, having brought your parents, will take it as a great compliment.

There is indeed a lot of care and attention put into everything we do, as well as a genuine passion for hospitality, so great to know that it shows- in a good way.

I'm really pleased you enjoyed your last visit and your compliments are wonderful to hear- I'll be sure to pass them on the entire team, and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

The tasting menu was brilliant, with matching wines. The atmosphere was perfect. EVERYTHING is just right at this place. Highly recomended for everyone.

Dear Alex,

Thank you for the wonderful and succinct review. I'm really pleased that you enjoyed your evening with us and found everything just right. It was a pleasure to have you join us and I hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

To be honest, the meal was a little bit below my expectation even though I rated 5. Maybe I came here with too much expectation as I saw many good review and the restaurant ranks top3 in London. Overall, I was very satisfied, but not best restaurant in London for me.
I was very impressed with my starter, foie gras. It was really taste and beautiful arrangement. About main (I ordered pigeon) and dessert (Lemon & coffee ice cream) are not special for me. I came with 2 other colleagues, and they generally had the same opinion.
To consider a great service like small plate before starter, continuing to serve warm breads, pre-dessert, and 3 courses 50GBP as dinner in this quality is not expensive, I still feel very good restaurant.

2  Thank SpursKT

Dear Kei T,

Thank you for your frank review. I'm pleased you enjoyed the great service and thought the Foie Gras was so exceptional.

I'm sorry to hear, however, that you didn't feel the Pigeon (served with beetroot, pigeon liver parfait, cherries and hazenuts) or the Lemon and Coffee dessert (Olive oil & lemon cake, butternut squash ice cream, lemon meringue and coffee gel) were special. A shame as they are both very popular and, ordinarily, very well received by guests.

I'm very glad to hear though that you enjoyed the evening, found it to be such good value, and I hope that we'll be able to welcome you back again.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

This was definitely the best meal we've ever had and we've eaten in a lot of top restaurants. You're definitely made to feel at home as soon as you walk in. It's very welcoming and laid back. We had the 3 course set menu but with the extra bits and bobs they give you it worked out being 8 courses. For £50 this is unbelievable value. Every mouthful we were like "Wow", "That's amazing", "Oh my god"! It really was delicious. It's slightly odd that the brioche bread was the best bit but once you try it you'll understand! Service also very very good - nicely paced although they could have taken our order slightly sooner - we were sat with our menus closed for at least 10 mins. The only other area that could be improved is the waiting area upstairs where you can have a drink if you're slightly early like us (although there were free tables so I think it was just a ploy to get us to buy a cocktail.) It's a very small room with no music on and wood panelling - we felt like we were on a cruise ship or some sort of weird Dr's waiting room - needs some atmosphere. Apart from that it really was the best meal we've ever had and I can't wait to return.

1  Thank 52Jen

Dear Jen,

Thank you very much for your great review. I'm really pleased you enjoyed your evening with us. Best meal you've ever had is a truly flattering accolade.

The buttermilk rolls which you so enjoyed, I agree, are completely irresistible. It takes great restraint not to fill up on just bread.

We do pace the arrival of tables in order to ensure everyone receives the full experience without undue delays, but we are fortunate to have the fantastic lounge upstairs for guests to enjoy an aperitif should they arrive early.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.