“Nice for a quick meal within the hotel!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Brasserie at The Cumberland

The Brasserie at The Cumberland
Reserve with OpenTable
The Brasserie at The Cumberland is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3,522 of 22,202 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British, French, European
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Marylebone
“Nice for a quick meal within the hotel!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

The beetroot risotto was wonderful! We only decided to eat here last minute as it was getting late and we couldn't decide where to eat on our first night in London so after much deliberation we ate in the hotel restaurant and were pleasantly surprised.

Bread was nice and fresh, risotto was delicious and my friends said the steak was really nice :)

Overall a good experience in this restaurant.

• Visited January 2014

• Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
“Oh dear!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

I was a guest in a group of four . Our host had chosen this restaurant because he knows how much I enjoy a good carvery lunch on a Sunday and the old Cumberland carving room (prior to the "renovations") had been a great favourite of my family 15 years ago.

Sadly, things change. I had been excited to see a poster outside the hotel some weeks ago announcing the re-establishment of carvery lunches on a Sunday. Indeed I mentioned it at the time to a friend who went there and enjoyed his meal.

However, on the Sunday we attended there was no one in the dining area at 1.00 p.m. Two small, sad pieces of overcooked meat stood on a carving board with a fly buzzing busily around them. The waiter showed no interest in the fly I suppose because there was nothing with which to cover the meat.

Macaroni cheese as a starter was quite good and the bread excellent but sadly the main course was a great disappointment. There was literally nothing on my plate that I wanted to eat: overcooked beef, mushy carrots, "roast" potatoes that weren't, solidly doughy Yorkshire puddings and grey, watery cauliflower with a few bits of melted cheese scattered about. The gravy was OK but the horseradish sauce pot was empty.

Had the meal been even of decent pub standard the price £17.95 for two courses would have been acceptable, but it wasn't. Wine prices were what you would expect tp pay in central London. The staff were courteous and efficient (except as flycatchers) although it took a while to find someone to carve the meat.

Maybe we caught them on a bad day but, sadly I won't be going back to find out.

• Visited June 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
England
“Rude, slow staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

Service is poor and indifferent. It is easier to go elsewhere rather than to complain, as no one is listening.
Catch the tube to Goodge Street and visit Wahaca in nearby Charlotte Street. The food is fresh and reasonably priced. The staff are helpful and friendly....with efficient service.

Visited July 2014
Melbourne, Australia
“Afternoon tea at The Cumberland was disappointing, the sandwiches had very little filling in them.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

A friend and I went to the Cumberland for afternoon tea and were disappointed. Presentation was excellent, the champagne was good and the cakes were okay, but sadly the sandwiches were poor. The bread wasn't very fresh and they had very little filling inside them. Each sandwich had such wafer thin filling that they looked like they just had butter in them! (see attached photo). Even the egg and cucumber one had a razor thin slice of cucumber and paper thin portion of egg smeared on. For the price (around £32 with champagne, or £24 without champagne) it was extremely miserly. I passed my feedback onto the manager so hopefully the kitchen management will act on this and improve their sandwiches. I wouldn't go here for afternoon tea again. For that price I expected a much higher standard.

Rugby, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lovely steak friendly staff.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

We bought this Groupon £35 for two people for 2 sirloin steaks and 2 cocktails. After some of the reviews on here I was apprehensive, but we had a lovely time! Friendly attentive staff, tasty tender steaks and delicious cocktails ! Good portion sizes too - we were full up ! Real bargain in this modern quality hotel I would definitely go again .

• Visited July 2014