“Bizarrely Bad!”

Cuisines: American, Italian
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours
Neighbourhood: South Kensington
Description: Fun, quirky bar with a massive sense of humour. Free lollipops! Great cocktails. Friendly atmosphere where everyone talks to each other!
London, United Kingdom
“Bizarrely Bad!”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

To start this review, I'd like to say that my boyfriend and I just walked out of Janet's Bar voluntarily without being asked to leave or refused service (as to say otherwise seems to be managment's response to all negative reviews)! We stopped in for a drink and due to there being no other bars in view, we entered Janet's despite the bizarre display of laminated A4 sheets of reviews etc attached to the front railings. The inside was quirky and furnishings cute, so we sat down and made our first mistake - picking up the laminated A4 menus. They were all sticky and my boyfriend was left with a disturbing ambiguous food residue on his hand :( Gross! While my bf went to the bar, I took in the strange, megalomaniac decorationsf featuring articles about Janet...photos of Janet...pictures of Janet...Janet everywhere! My boyfriend came back after a while saying we should go as bottled beer was £5.50 and single+mixer was £7.50!! This would have been OK for an upper-class establishment but I think this is Kensingtonians having fun 'japes' by roughing it in their surroundings while being happy to be ripped off by their drink bill. The girl behind the bar was lovely but I would avoid this place like the plague, which indeed I imagine you may catch if you entered the kitchen, judging by the state of the menus. Janet, ease up on the narcissism-inspired decor!

Visited June 2014
4 Thank Jillybean83Oz

London, United Kingdom
“Unique”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I don't habitually post on here but really enjoyed my trip to Janet's Bar last night and felt it needed a comment to offset the bizarre outpouring of negativity on here that certainly has never been my experience. Janet's Bar is eccentric and charming in equal measure, there is nowhere quite like it in terms of atmosphere, menu and a unique charm all of it's own, I can certainly see why it wins so many awards. Tortilla chips served in a mug? Why not? Fantastic cocktails and one of the only bars in the area licensed until 3am, perfect. A lot of the other comments seem to miss the point, it's not trying to be an upmarket boutique bar that fits perfectly into South Ken, it's unique, it's Janet's. You say cramped, I say popular. Leave the pretense outside and pick it up on your way out, kick back and enjoy. Yes the clientele vary from suits to Sloaneys but so what? To top it off? The wonderful Janet even gave us a lollipop to "suck on" on the way out -who can say fairer than that?

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Stu B
JanetsBar, Owner at Janet's Bar, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Thank you so much for giving us an honest assessment of Janet's Bar. We love to hear when someone actually gets what we are trying to achieve - a fun, unpretentious, quirky bar with a sense of humour. You are most welcome to have another lollipop on your next visit. xx
Leominster, United Kingdom
“Very cramped bar”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

As we were staying at the hotel of which this forms part, decided to have a drink here. It was very hot during our stay, so we decided to sit on the small outside area at front of the hotel. Very cramped here as it was inside. Drinks very expensive, £11.20 for a small glass of wine and a small beer. I know it was London, but I would have expected lower prices for such a poor bar. It seems to have won lots of awards, I don't know how. Barman was ok, but didn't make any effort to be friendly.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank GillH007_12
“£9 for a shot of stoly?”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stopped by to check out this spot. Ordered a screwdriver and was charged £9 - for a shot of stoly and OJ. Aside from that, the bar, patrons, and owner (Janet) were very friendly and didn't mind taking up conversation. Outside patio overlooking street is a nice perch - if you can afford the bottle.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank cagey c
JanetsBar, Owner at Janet's Bar, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank you for all the nice things you said about Janet's Bar. We really appreciate it. Just to clarify, a double was £9.00 and a single £7.00. Typical bar prices for South Kensington.
“Horrid”
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

If you fancy being treated rudely by a jealous old bat who has clearly been around the block a few times, then by all means drop on by. It's almost worth the educational factor of how NOT to grow old gracefully! Someone seriously needs to de-licence her plastic surgeon(s).

• Visited May 2014
6 Thank Fillevoyeagant
JanetsBar, Owner at Janet's Bar, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thank you for your kind words. You know why you were not allowed in, so let's keep it this way.