“Excellent treatments, customer service and staff but a bit small”

Spa at The Montcalm
Ranked #66 of 338 Spas & Wellness in London
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Excellent treatments, customer service and staff but a bit small”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My sister and I went on a Saturday for a spa day with champagne afternoon tea experience (Virgin voucher). I went to the gym which was a reasonable size and really good modern machines with fantastic technology. I was on my own so had the whole room for myself!
After this I went to the spa which i knew was small as we had previously stayed in the hotel. The maximum it can take is 8 people as there is not much space to lie down and relax. We both had some treatments. Yes the treatments are a bit expensive but you are in the middle of London, hence you know what to expect!! The staff at the spa was ever so lovely, very attentive, always smiling, making sure we enjoyed our day. Yes there is a male beauty therapist but he knows exactly what he is doing (I can easily imagine you have to be qualified to work in those places!), he made sure we enjoyed our experience 100%. In conclusion, a very pleasant experience.
The afternoon tea was so lovely, highly recommended! A dozen tables were taken, but we never waited to get served. We had a very pleasant gentleman who was playing some music on a harp, this was ally relaxing. The food was lovely, with a mixture of sandwiches, cakes and scones. There was plenty to eat!
The staff at the hotel was ever so lovely, nice word, always smiling.
We ended our day with a detour by the champagne bar where we had a lovely cocktail.

Visited July 2014

Rainham, United Kingdom
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Smallest spa ever , so go on a quiet day then you should have a nice time”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Treatments are very expensive so didn't have any.I have visited this spa twice . The first time was a disappointment as it was on a Saturday , very busy , it was my daughters birthday and we had no seats to sit on and had to contend with load drilling , the mini pool was full and work was being done in hotel so drilling was son noisy it was not like a spa, we didn't stay our complaint was addressed and the management were really good , we enjoyed our luxury champagne cream tea, with the option to return . The return visit was today. The spa was quiet , so it was like a personal spa , We knew what to expect so rather than going in spa for 4 hours we enjoyed ourself elsewhere and just had 2 hours in spa which was nice , just right before the best part the luxury champagne cream tea. If I had reviewed this the first time it would have been unfair as we were unhappy until we spoke to the really nice helpful lady manager ,iso I waited it give it a second chance. Today was really nice , a relaxing day the food was great . Towels supplied , no robes. Lockers were free. Shampoo and conditioner free, lots of fruit and water free. Please note
Coffee at hotel is appx 5.00 a cup .

Visited June 2014
London, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Not 5 star”
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

This is the second time I have visited this spa for a treat within the last two weeks. First was for an afternoon tea package, so we decided to book a body scrub and facial to pamper ourselves. The guy (which we weren't warned about!) was very nice but didn't seem very experienced (qualified?). It was unlike any other facial or body scrub I have every had. His technique was along the lines of 'wax on wax off'!! The tea was wonderful though. The second time I visited it was for a champagne lunch. Again the food was beautiful but the treatment wasn't great. I booked a 30min pedicure. It was not a pedicure...it was a file and polish. Not what I was expecting. We weren't given robes either time and the showers are appalling. The whole place seems a bit 'grubby'. I won't be coming again.

1 Thank SarahBrittan
london
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 246 helpful votes
“Spa relaxation and afternoon tea package”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I bought a deal (think it was with Time out) for 2 spa experiences and champagne afternoon tea.
I'd give the Spa only ONE star but the afternoon tea FIVE
The spa was very small and although shown round by a delightful young lady she then disappeared and so the spa rules openly flouted by other 'occupants' went unheaded. The exercise pool had a thick grey line around it and the chill out areas untidy (also small and taken over by the group of ladies having a good old picnic and drink)
Its just not big enough to take more than about 5 or 6 people and then they should use it for its purposes!
the first impression - the changing room where over half the lockers don't work, just sets the tone (surely these could be mended) and overflowing dirty towels cupboard - so people left theirs on the floor - nice.
However, afternoon tea was truly delicious and served with style and a smile. The sandwiches are some of the most inventive and fresh I've tasted - beetroot bread with humous, yum! The chilled champagne was poured generously and the tea selections really interesting. The room itself is a bit souless, but the charm of the staff made up for this.
So to sum up, go for afternoon tea but AVOID the spa

Visited May 2014
1 Thank londonlady2
London, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“POOR AND BASIC”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I visited this Spa and failed to find anything good about it. Actually the staff were nice. However the spa was small,basic and the jacuzzi kept flooding this was dangerous as it made the floor and stairs slippery. Someone did come in with a mop,hardly a classy act,although she was really kind about it and whilst she mopped smiled and laughed with us.
Another problem was the cramped so called relaxing area,this was dull with limited seating space and no up to date magazines. Furthermore we were told that no men would be using the Spa and it was just for our use, so to find a man in the sauna was indeed a shock.
The woman on reception seemed to find the funny maybe it was...
The exercise pool had hair on the top of it.The steam room average. Also we were not given a robe,still the towel was handy as we had to use it top mop the flooded floor with when we could not find anyone.
Lastly the changing room was like being on a tube in rush hour,hot and again cramped. Surprise of the morning was when the shower blocked and we couldn't use it.
But I finish with the best bit there was no beautician around to offer any treatments,still if they were anything like the spa then it was a lucky escape. This does not deserve 5 stars. Again helpful staff but that is only as it should be. AVOID

Visited December 2013