“Becoming Concerned”

Great Northern Hotel, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel
Ranked #150 of 1,063 Hotels in London
“Becoming Concerned”
Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

My wife and I enjoyed a bar meal here a few weeks ago. We called in today for a quick coffee before catching our train. The bar was almost deserted and we were carrying a small tote each. We were told all luggage had to be stored by them. We can see why for large cases, at peak times, but this made no sense. Other patrons had back-packs etc, so the rule was, at best, being applied inconsistently. Having argued our case, the waiter relented and with good grace, so good for him. Then, they did not have two croissants, only one. In my first review I mentioned the fine gents lavatories and suggested that it the challenge of consistently maintaining these to a high standard is one measure of close attention to detail. I'm sorry, but designer fittings and quality toiletries will never make up for almost brand new "Stained" WC's. At nearly £20 for two coffees and croissants (sorry, one and the next best alternate choice) I fear that standards will continue to slip. I do want to be proved wrong and will visit again and update.

• Stayed August 2013
anthony_thwaites, Director of Rooms at Great Northern Hotel, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
Thank you once again for posting a review after your recent visit. We do request that all guests at the bar check their luggage in, regardless of size, to ensure easy flow of traffic for both our guests and team members. I will certainly address why this was not being carried out consistently during your time here and thank you for bringing this to my attention. I can assure you that our guest facilities are checked on a regular basis. We look forward to welcoming you back to us when you are in the area and your next review. Best regards, Anthony.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2013

i rang late to reserve a room as my flight was cancelled on the 12th July, when i arrived at the hotel the man on the door tried to charge me £350 which was hundreds over the price on their website. NOT a good start to your businnes trying to rip off late arriving business customers. I went elsewhere and won't return - a shame as looked very nice - perhaps check who you have on duty late at night to ensure they are trained properly

Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank StephenFMeadowbank
anthony_thwaites, Director of Rooms at Great Northern Hotel, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Stephen, Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback. I am naturally very disappointed and concerned to hear about your experience and do hope that I can get the opportunity to address this issue. Please contact me directly at the hotel and allow me to deal with this personally for you. Kind regards, Anthony Thwaites.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I booked this hotel last minute (as a result of my pre booked hotel informing me they were fully booked on my arrival at 11pm at night!) and it transpired to be a very fortuitous turn of events.

Unsurprisingly given its location and the building's past The GNH takes its style inspiration from a by-gone era of top quality train travel - but for me it was like stepping into the set of Madmen, irresistibly stylish and clear attention to detail. Staying in this hotel is an experience - not just a nice place to lay your head. All of this for a very reasonable price tag.

Other positives to note are the staff - excellent and the pantry (as the name suggests a room stocked full of fresh cake, biscuits, sweets, Nespresso, Teapigs, newspapers and magazines - all complimentary).

I am already planning a return stay later this week - given the choice of hotels in London (and especially in Kings Cross) this is testament to how wonderful I think the GNH is. I can't recommend it highly enough!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
anthony_thwaites, Director of Rooms at Great Northern Hotel, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2013
What a lovely review, thank you for your positive feedback and the high recommendation! I am so pleased that you found all aspects that we are proud of to be so pleasing. We look forward to welcoming you back this week, and hopefully on many more occasions in the future. Kind regards, Anthony Thwaites
Reviewed 6 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed here during a recent weekend break and found the hotel sandwiched between Kings Cross and St Pancras stations. As a result, it was constantly very chaotic and busy in and around the hotel entrance. It also made it quite difficult to find a way in to the hotel when we first arrived. Being so nestled within Kings Cross station it was never really apparent what was part of the station and what was part of the hotel. So we essentially stumbled into what emerged to be the hotel reception- an area so minimally presented that it looked like somebody standing behind a small plinth in a rather grand corridor. However this quirky touch was just one of many appealing features about this hotel.

From the grand looking wood panelled corridors, to the splendid upper floor corridors which curve gradually following the contours of the building and the thick carpet that provided a very luxurious feel everything felt very classy.

The room, whilst small, was immaculate and modern. Although I'm still not sure about this latest hotel trend of having glass doors to the bathroom. Having to poo in full view of whoever you're sharing with is not really a clasically 'British' touch. Likewise, regardless of how much you love your other half - seeing them stooped on the pan albeit through corrugated style glass may be a step too far for some! I suppose its an approach that encourages 'liberal thinking' although you really might as well just do away with the door and have the toilet in the main bedroom next to the bed.

Anyway, the other feature about this hotel which isn't quite as mind bending but nevertheless quite charming is the existence of 'pantries' at the end of each corridor. The pantries are stocked with all sorts of goodies including freshly made cake. This felt like a nice treat being able to nip into the pantry (usually to avoid watching the other half on the toilet) to make a coffee and help yourself to a slice of victoria sponge!

We did pop into the cocktail bar one evening, but the prices were very 'London' and I don't think we were young, trendy, Southern or good looking enough to get the same attentive service that others did. But I suppose we are getting on a bit and the sight of a tired / jaded looking middle aged couple slumped in the corner after a busy day in London was lowering the street cred of this typically pretentious London bar for pretty young things.

The service from the folks in reception was amazing though. Really welcoming and informative and nothing was too much trouble. Brilliant service- thank you.

• Stayed July 2013
I am delighted that you have taken the time to share your feedback following your recent stay at the Great Northern Hotel. It is lovely to hear that our staff made you feel so welcome and that you found our pantries charming and our rooms immaculate. Regarding our bathroom doors, fluted glass has been used so as to make the rooms light and airy but I am sorry to hear that you found this a flaw. A number of rooms have a different layout whereby the bathroom is not located next to the bed and we would be pleased to allocate you into one of these rooms when you hopefully stay with us again soon. Kind regards, Anthony Thwaites
Annecy, France
Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

You can feel that a lot of efforts have been put, and still are, into the GNH.
Of course, the location is fantastic, not only for trains but also to visit the city, especially since, with the Olympics, the "centre" is (a bit) moving eastward.
The staff was very friendly and check in was very easy.
The rooms are small but nice (the usual beige-brown colours, could personally do with a bit more originality, though)
We had a sleeper room (the least expensive) and it was fine for one night. You may want to consider upgrading for a bigger room if you stay longer.
Forget about breakfast, way too overpriced (get food at the station's M&S instead!) however the restaurant serves very good food in a lovely setting (I just love the interior design) and at reasonable prices.
To sum up:
- go for it for boutique hotel feel and great location.
- consider having dinner rather than breakfast at restaurant.
- bigger rooms if straying several nights are a good idea.

• Stayed August 2013
anthony_thwaites, Director of Rooms at Great Northern Hotel, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
I really appreciate that you have taken the time to review the Great Northern Hotel following your stay, thank you. I am glad that you found our location, staff and Couchette rooms so pleasing, and were particularly impressed with the interiors of our restaurant, Plum + Spilt Milk. I hope that you visit us again soon and have the chance to experience one of our Wainscot and/or Cubitt rooms next time. Kind regards, Anthony Thwaites
Leeds, united kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Stayed at GNH for 1 night on a very hot day in london - location was great to get off the train at kings cross and step straight into the hotel. First impression - wow.

My room was on the 4th floor, Cubitt room - beautiful, the decor is stunning, calming green and white. The air conditioning wasfab - as i said it was so hot in london on 1 aug, my room was icy cold and i didnt want to leave! The mirrors in the room made it feel more roomy and the little sofa built into the wall and table were a very chic yet practical touch. The tv moves to accommodate wherever you are in the room and comes with a huge array of free movies and music as well as tv, a great touch. The bathroom was perfectly laid out with a wonderful walk in shower, with a huge rainfall shower head AND a huge handheld shower head - the best in any hotel I've stayed in. The toiletries in the bathroom were great.
On each floor of the hotel there is a gorgeous pantry, filled with cakes, cookies, biscuits, sweets and a huge nespresso machine, which is all complimentary.
The staff were very helpful and accommodating, I didn't get a chance to try the bar or restaurant but it looked inviting!
Overall the hotel gives a very opulent, luxurious feel at a great price - I can't wait to stay there again!

• Stayed August 2013
anthony_thwaites, Director of Rooms at Great Northern Hotel, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
… And we can’t wait to welcome you back very soon! Thank you for taking the time to review the Great Northern Hotel and for all your lovely comments, I am glad we could provide you with such a refreshing stay on one of the rare hot days we get in London! I hope you get the chance to try the GNH Bar and Plum + Spilt Milk on your next visit. Kind regards, Anthony Thwaites
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Hi
the only bad thing about this hotel is lack of wardrobe space - if you are visiting only for a short period or you don't mind not unpacking your suitcase then it's fine. Good thing about the rooms though is that they are beautifully designed and furnished - they should just shoot the architect as the corridors are just so wide that they could easily have taken a metre more per room for some wardrobes / cupboard space. ;-)
Otherwise:
- the staff were really helpful and friendly.
- the carrot cake that is complimentary in the small kitchen on each floor is to die for!
- the bar is fun in the evenings with not just hotel guests but a varied mix of people.
- the location was perfect for me being built into Kings Cross Station and so means great access to London as well as areas north of London.
- and breakfast is great.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank LordAndrewRigby
Thank you so much for sharing your review of the Great Northern Hotel and I am delighted that you found many aspects of our offering to your liking. We too believe that our rooms are beautifully finished and our broad corridors have been restored to keep the original grandeur of Lewis Cubitt’s design, encapsulating the elegance of the past. I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future. Kind regards, Anthony Thwaites