“Pleasant stay at a quality hotel”

Great Northern Hotel, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel
Ranked #170 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 1 December 2013

A two-day stay at the newly refurbished G.N.H in November 2013. Very clean room, beutifully furnished with all expected amenities. At disposal, there was two new bathrobes of good size, two pairs of slippers, brand and good quality soap, shampoo, conditioner and body lotion. The shower was excellent - the water exit needed some seeing as water tended to remain at the bottom for too long. The bed mattress was perfectly firm, the bed linen of quality - pity that on the second day, it was not changed for new ones - and the TV was offering perfect image and clear sound for 80+ channels. Te view was beautiful and the room was very quiet.

Another excellent touch: the pantry room at the end of the corridor. There, we could have tea (from TeaPigs) or Coffee (from Nespresso^), biscuits, cakes, fruit with newspapers and magazines to read. Here again, everything was impeccably clean and had a cosy feel. Most enjoyable.

If the location is perfect should you take the tube or train, it is slightly less convenient if you like a stroll in the evening for instance, since there is not much to do around the hotel. That is a minor inconvenience since, one can take the underground to Piccadilly or Oxford.

All in all, I advise a stay at this hotel. The staff was also helpful, sympathetic and not over-bearing. Pleasant experience altogether. Thank you G.N.H!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
anthony_thwaites, Director of Rooms at Great Northern Hotel, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2013

Thank you for such a lovely review after your stay with us at the Great Northern and I'm delighted to hear you appreciated all the things that we think make us special too. Many thanks for the recommendation and I do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel when you are next in London. Very best wishes, Anthony.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,292)

Reviewed 30 November 2013

I stayed at the newly refurbished GNH for one night in November as a single traveler. Beautiful room, Great location. I simply dropped my bag and off I went, It was so easy in terms of transport access from A to B. The room was immaculate, beautifully furnished, The staff were efficient without been overbearing or aloof. Restaurant for breakfast was in a room which reassembled an old rail carriage/waiting room and the food was very good. I did have a drink and meal in the beautiful bar which is on the main Kings Cross concourse. While the cocktail was excellent, the meal (simple fish and chips) was somewhat disappointing due to the fish been under-cooked and the batter was soggy and still floury underneath. I like my cod white and flaky, not grey and cold with a crisp batter. However, I did tell them and they were both apologetic and offered to cook another meal. I had to refuse due to time constraints, so as a good will gesture the item was removed from my bill. All in all a very enjoyable, comfortable stay. Thank you

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to post a review after your recent stay with us at the Great Northern and I appreciate your kind words regarding the hotel and team here. Naturally, I'm disappointed to hear about your food in the bar and do hope that you get chance to sample our fish & chips just how you like them when you're next with us. Best wishes, Anthony.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

I stayed at this hotel, on a Sunday night, before heading to Heathrow to catch my flight back to Canada. It is in a perfect location for the tube station, and there are lots of places to eat at Kings Cross Station (if you don't want to eat in the hotel).
As mentioned before, the rooms are small....but perfect...and the bed was really comfortable. I helped myself to some cake, cookies and jelly babies, as my evening munchies...nice.The room does have a small Nespresso machine...but I would have prefered the reg. coffee maker, as I don't like Nespresso coffee.
The Sunday evening stay included breakfast the next morning, where you could pick any thing from the breakfast menu...I had the Eggs Benedict, which was good, but only warm...I like my hollandaise sauce to be hot.
If I was travelling solo, I would probably stay here again....if my husband was with me (as he will be next May, when we visit), I would not, as the closet holds maybe 3 tops...forget about putting a coat in there, plus there is no drawer space, so everything has to stay in the suitcase...and there's no where to unpack the suitacase, except for putting it on the bench..or bed.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Thank you so much for posting a review after your stay with us and I am pleased that our great location worked for you during your trip. It's lovely to hear that you appreciated our pantry offering and if you do decide to stay with us again in May I would be delighted to offer you one of our larger Cubitt rooms if you are travelling with your husband. I do hope that I get the opportunity to welcome you back to the Great Northern next year. Best regards, Anthony

Reviewed 26 November 2013

Had a perfect stay in the GNH. Great rooms, cosy beds, great n friendly service, love the access to the free pantry for coffee, tea, newspaper and snacks, plus 1min walk to the piccadilly line! Hard to beat this in London -

Room Tip: 201 - we couldn't hear any traffic. Pantry access was next door to this room
1  Thank Theresa M
anthony_thwaites, Director of Rooms at Great Northern Hotel, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Theresa, thank you so much for your very kind words after recently staying us at the Great Northern. I'm so delighted you had such a great time with us and appreciated all the things that we think make us special too! Look forward to seeing you again when you're next in London. Many thanks, Anthony.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

We have just spent a fantastic night at the GNH, it was brilliant. We loved our luxurious bedroom with the pantry at the end of the corridor, what a fabulous idea. We stayed on the Sunday night bed and breakfast offer, the breakfast was super, good quality and very generous portions. We will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Vivien, thank you so much......I'm delighted to hear you enjoyed your time with us at the Great Northern. Keep an eye on our website for all our weekend offers and I do hope that we get chance to welcome you back to the hotel some time soon. Best wishes, Anthony.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

You'll never believe how this 'dump' has been transformed into an absolute dream hotel in every way. It actually feels a little like how the titanic looks. The bar, the restaurant the rooms the entire design transformation is stunning and of the highest quality. Beds, showers, bed linen, towels I would live here forever. And at the end of each corridor a cute little boutique granny's pantry with Nespresso coffee, fresh pastries, kids sweeties and all of the daily newspapers all free. Please don't take me home.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank thefooddood

Wow.....thank you so much for such a great review! I'm really pleased to hear you had a fabulous stay with us. Just let me know when you want to move in! Thanks again and hopefully see you soon, very best wishes, Anthony.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

I was really delighted to see how well the renovation of the GNH had been done - from the moment you walk in it has a very classy feel to it but less formal than its competitor across the road at St Pancras. The bar staff need to be a bit more attentive - it is irritating to say the least when they are chin wagging with their friends when you want to pay because you have a train to catch ! On the plus side it has an interesting wine list. If it was me I would charge a £10 entrance fee refundable against your bill - I witnessed three commuters from Peterborough using it as a free first class lounge whilst not purchasing a thing !

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Cadebosca
anthony_thwaites, Director of Rooms at Great Northern Hotel, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2013

Thank you for recently visiting us at the Great Northern and I'm delighted to hear you appreciate our extensive renovation of this beautiful building. I will certainly address your feedback and do hope that we get the chance to say hello when you are next in the area. Best wishes, Anthony.