Great Northern Hotel, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel
Ranked #183 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 17 December 2013

We stayed here for a special trip to London for my husband's 40th. The hotel is located right next to the station. I had emailed prior to the visit to see if we could leave bags there prior to check in, which was no problem. On arrival, the reception team could not have been more helpful, they were aware of the birthday and had our room ready to check in to. You are taken to your room by one of the team members who point out and explain where everything is etc.
We stayed in a Cubitt room (the biggest of the 3). It was wonderful, plenty of space, lovely finishing touches and the most comfortable hotel bed I've ever stayed in. The pantry at the end of the corridor was full of cakes, sweets, biscuits, various teas and coffees that you can help yourself to as well newpapers and books.
Unfortunately, we didn't get the chance to try the restaurant out, althought it looked lovely. We were there on a Friday night when there was a DJ on in the bar and can confidently say there was no noise transfer to the room from this, the station or general London bustle.
The room also had robes & slippers and a lovely bath. The TV has free movies (new & old) and Sky Sports as well as some good music playlists to just have on in the background.
We were again allowed to leave our bag at reception the following day to save taking it with us.
There is a small minibar/fridge, the bottled water is free and the other items not badly priced. Also a safe in the room.
The overall feel was that a lot of attention to detail had been made, from the fixtures & fittings to the staff.
We had a wonderful stay in the Cubitt room and I would love to go back.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
anthony_thwaites, Director of Rooms at Great Northern Hotel, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2013

Mel, thank you for such a wonderful review after your recent stay at the Great Northern. I am so pleased you both had a fabulous birthday celebration with us. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next in London and hope you get chance to try our acclaimed restaurant, Plum + Spilt Milk. Many thanks again, Anthony

Write a ReviewReviews (1,318)

Reviewed 10 December 2013

Booked Wainscott room. Excellent fit out, functionality, chic aesthetic, bathroom fit out, complimentary snacks. Position is very good also - especially if using Eurostar. In house restaurant worthwhile too. Value for money also compared to 5 star London. So the drawbacks? Access doors from lifts slam so avoid room close to these. Service is nonchalant at reception ( although person dependant). Check in vibe is set with proximity of reception to the "thump thump music" bar which is makes it feel like small W. So overall not the high touch, cosseted, polite form of a UK boutique hotel it could be. But has great redeeming features and rooms are first rate. Would go back.

Room Tip: Wainscott is nice size. Avoid rooms near lift access door. Go higher to avoid bar noise.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank SYZN

Thank you for taking the time to post a review after your recent stay at the hotel. I appreciate the feedback regarding your experience with us and will certainly address the points raised. Please contact me directly when you are thinking of visiting us again and allow me to make the arrangements for you personally. I would love the opportunity to show you what the full G.N.H. experience is really like. Best regards, Anthony.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

This newly opened hotel is very conveniently situated, being part of The Kings Cross station complex and just across from St Pancras. The cubitt rooms are a good size and as there are no suites this is the largest you can get. Beds are exceedingly comfortable, bathroom is spacious and TV has loads of channels and plenty of films all for free.
The gently curving corridors have a pantry at one end with fresh cakes replenished throughout the day plus chocolate biscuits, fruits, sweets papers, magazines and nespresso coffee machine. Despite the proximity of a busy station and a main road the room was amazingly quiet and we had the window open. All in all a great place to stay.

1  Thank hicaz446

Thank you so much for posting such a lovely review after your recent stay with us at the Great Northern. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and appreciated our convenient location and amazing sound proofing. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next thinking of a night away. Best wishes, Anthony.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

Absolutely gorgeous room, shower was biggest I've ever used! So clean, such friendly staff and super all included breakfast the next day. Pantry on the end of the landing was well stocked with home made cake, coffee machine, kettle, papers, sweets and treats - very welcome midnight snack!! Plum and Spilt Milk restaurant was sensational, once the secret is out about that place you'll struggle to get a reservation I'm sure! Its also so close to the train station for easy tubes in and out of town, they also held the luggage for us so we just had to pop in and pick it up en route home! Wouldn't stay anywhere else in London now - can't wait for next time!

Room Tip: No pool facilities but room 312 has the biggest shower I've ever seen!!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Emma.....thank you so much for such an amazing review after our stay with us at the Great Northern Hotel! I look forward to saying hi when you're next in London. Thanks again, Anthony.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

We stayed only one night having attended a show in London and needing to get a train home in good time in the morning.
We found the staff were efficient, polite and informative. The decor was tasteful and furnishings of good quality. The only meal we sampled was breakfast but we did make some use of the pantry on our corridor. This was a nice touch.
The room we had on the top floor was quiet and the bed comfortable. There was no bath but the shower was efficient and fittings seemed generally of high standard. Weirdly however, there was no obvious place to hang clothes apart from an odd half length cupboard resembling the sort of under stairs cupboard you might have at home. There were no drawers or shelves. This was not of huge importance for a one night stay but it would be a bit of a struggle over the course of a few days.
After our show we went into the ground floor bar (accessible also from the street). This was three quarters empty and we found it impossible to remain there for a second drink. It was well appointed and I think the staff were probably polite and friendly but I couldn't hear them to know for sure. It was actually difficult to communicate our order. The music was unbelievably and intrusively loud. It was impossible to converse. The music playing was a horrible synthetic drum and bass compilation more suited to a night club than an accompaniment to a late evening drink. Actually there was no discernible reason why music was at all necessary. In the event we retired to the small bar on the 1st floor where the (same) music was toned down but still unnecessary.
The next morning at checkout, loud music from the bar could be clearly heard at reception ( this at about 8am). At least the playlist was more to my taste but it was still way too loud and superfluous. Perhaps I'm old fashioned in wanting a relaxing drink after a show and before bed.
The hotel is located right next to King's Cross station and was, for us, very convenient. Despite this I would think twice about a revisit. May be I will just to see if any of the bar staff have gone deaf.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank John C

John, thank you for recently staying with us and for taking the time to post a review. Although the Wainscot room you stayed in does have a small hanging space we do have the wall mounted leather hanging pad that should have been pointed out to you for larger and extra items. These are in all rooms and are an addition to the wardrobe space. I am sorry that the bar music and atmosphere was not to your taste and although you retired to our quieter 'snug bar' upstairs I will certainly look into why the music was still the same as the bar - thank you for bringing to my attention. Please contact me directly when you are next heading to London and allow me to make the arrangements for your stay personally. Many thanks, Anthony

Reviewed 5 December 2013

We stayed one night at the Great Northern Hotel. It is so handy for King's Cross Station. I knew straight away that we were onto a winner as I asked if I may have a room with a bath due to an ankle injury. Expected a no you can't but a room with bath was quickly allocated. It was wonderful and not just the bath. The room was bright and airy with every facility. The air con was just right, as I hate hotel rooms that are always too hot. The bed was so comfy I didn't want to get out! The room was immaculate. The Nespresso machine in the room was greatly appreciated. When I discovered the pantry at the end of the corridor I found hotel heaven. I have to admit the awful truth that I availed myself to 2 pieces of the lush cake. It was proper cake, tasty and substantial. There was also a selection of yummy things in jars but I was too full of cake to try those. The bar was a good place to go after a busy day. We went with friends and we had to tear ourselves away at midnight. A final point the staff are all amazing. Everybody we met was obviously very happy in their work and extremely guest focused.
From now on the Great Northern is our hotel of choice in London.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Tyne R

Wow....thank you so much for such a wonderful review after your stay with us at the Great Northern! I am delighted to hear you had such a good time at the hotel and hope that we get the chance to say hello when you are next in London. Many thanks, Anthony

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Wow what a wonderful hotel.

We are lucky to able to get the high speed service into London and within 1 hour of leaving home in Kent we were checked in and drinking in the most wonderfully decorated bar in the Great Northern.

Now for a London hotel the rooms are ok but if you are used to large airy rooms then please be ready for a little surprise. However the rooms are just fitted out with quality and style that I have not seen even in some of the "upper end" hotels in London this place oozes style and class.

In the middle of Kings Cross station complex.....no problem we did not even here a car its amazing.

The staff from the cleaner to the Manager who even showed us the lifts and explained everything are a credit to the Hotel.

And by the way if you just want a sandwich, tied onto the hotel is Kiosk, the best Reuben outside New York.

Room Tip: Couchette is small but perfect, so try a Cubitt if you can and like a bit more room.
1  Thank SpencerNegus

Spencer, thank you for your great review for the Great Northern - I appreciate your kind words regarding the finish and design of the hotel and our team here. So pleased to hear you enjoyed your Salt Beef Reuben from our KIOSK and hope you get chance to sample another when you are next in town. Many thanks, Anthony