“I really to give it 5 stars... but it is a hotel, after all”

Great Northern Hotel, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel
Ranked #150 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Nottingham, England
“I really to give it 5 stars... but it is a hotel, after all”
Reviewed 26 January 2014

This hotel really has the Wow factor. Beautifully decorated, perfect bed and linens, personal touches like the pantry on each floor, charming view over St Pancras clock tower, convenient location. So why does it not get the full 5 stars in this review? Because whilst it is a great experience, it is also just a hotel, and there are basic things a hotel should do. There wasn't anywhere for us to put our luggage in the boutique room. There is superfast broadband, but no desk for me to sit down and write a quick business email. The shower has a rainfall shower head, but disappointing water pressure. Huge queues at checkout. The real question is: would I recommend it to a friend? Overall yes, I would. I just wish I could give it a perfect 5 star rating.

1 Thank Shallam
anthony_thwaites, Director of Rooms at Great Northern Hotel, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Thank you for your recent review after staying with us and I really appreciate you giving us the WOW factor! I am currently sourcing a stylish luggage rack for our rooms so in future the positioning of a case in the room will not be a problem. All our rooms have either a desk or table to work from, which usually meets the requirements of our business traveller using our super fast 500mb wi fi. Many thanks for the recommendation and I do hope we manage to get that extra star on your next stay with us. Best wishes, Anthony.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Kullavik
Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

Newly built/rebuilt hotel with excellent rooms and train inspired design. Friendly personell but be prepared on surprise if you arrive late at night, small lobby overcrowded with people that didn't seem to stay at the hotel. Funny. One big minus - how can you finish a hotel like this without having a gym ??? Or at least to cooperate with one ?

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
anthony_thwaites, Director of Rooms at Great Northern Hotel, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
Mikael, thank you for posting a review after your recent stay and your kind words regarding our rooms and design. An external gym is planned as part of the King's Cross development and once finished I'm sure we'll establish a relationship with them for our guests. Best wishes, Anthony.
jerusalem
Reviewed 22 January 2014

This hotel is not geared for couples even though it is very convenient for euro star. We stayed for just one night before continuing our journey and there was no place to leave an open case apart from by the bed on the floor. Lucky that we only had hand luggage as there was no room anywhere for a large case . Only shower gel etc for one person although this was the largest room the hotel has. About 4 inches of hanging rail in the cupboard and one hook in the room where we had to hang both wet coats together. Two more hooks in the bathroom but they were too near to the basin to be of any use. The ambiance was pleasant and the restaurant excellent. We really enjoyed breakfast which was served by waiters and not the usual buffet.
Fine for a single person travelling light with just one small piece of luggage. I did not see the smaller rooms but they must be quite unsuitable for more than one person

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Sandra, thank you for posting a review after your recent stay with us. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't think the room was suitable on this occasion, even though you were in one of our larger Cubitt rooms. I am currently sourcing a stylish luggage rack that I hope will solve the issue regarding storing an open case. All our Malin + Goetz toiletries come in 40ml sizes and if anyone requires more we can, of course, provide them. I am pleased you enjoyed your time in Plum + Spilt Milk and do hope you'll give us a second chance when you're next in London. Best regards, Anthony.
Barton-upon-Humber, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I am not sure why, but it just didn't quite tick all my boxes.
The Check in was acceptable, not brilliant, the room (Cubit) was nice enough, but the bathroom, definitely style over function. A bath rather than a shower. This lead to a rather strange feeling of having a bath (as opposed to a shower) prior to the morning departure. Sadly I think the interior designer got caught up in the period, I would rather have had a less opulent bath, and the inclusion of a good quality shower. The ground floor bar is a tad on the small side and we couldn't get in either on arrival or after eating, the restaurant was nice enough at breakfast, and the food well cooked and presented, but we left the hotel feeing a little flat and let down by the whole affair.

Room Tip: I can only comment on the cubit style room, which has a free standing bath, very romantic, but no go...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Paul, thank you for recently staying with us and taking the time to post a review. Naturally, I'm disappointed to hear we didn't tick all the boxes for you. We only have a handful of rooms that have a roll top bath with the majority having large, walk in showers - should you decide to give us a second chance I'll make sure we allocate one of these for you. I do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back some time soon. Best regards, Anthony.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We've eaten at the restaurant a couple of times and have always talked about how nice it would be to lazily go upstairs to a room rather than get on the tube home so on this visit we did just that. It was well worth it. As people have previously mentioned the rooms are small but beautifully appointed. The pantry on each floor is a fabulous idea, so nice to be able to have a coffee and a fresh piece of cake (its not often that you get something for nothing nowadays) and the free in room entertainment is also great. My only negative point about the hotel is that after all that delicious restaurant food and free cake it would have been nice to be able to go to the gym to work it off and it doesn't have one. Even just a small room with a couple of running machines would suffice. Still, we'll be back!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Kate, thank you for posting a review after your recent 'staycation' night with us. I'm delighted you enjoyed your time here and appreciate your comments regarding a gym. Who knows...we may see what we can do if we find some suitable space in the future? The home made cakes in the pantry are indeed too tempting so a 'post treat workout' may just be the ticket! Thanks again and hope to see you back at the Great Northern very soon. Best wishes, Anthony.
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2014

My second stay and still loving this hotel. Easy check in and then straight to the bar for a fancy cocktail and nibbles. Room was immaculate and then popped into the pantry (favourite bit) for fresh cakes and coffee. After a theatre night, back to the room for a great nights sleep (was I really in Kings Cross, soooo quiet). Roll on May for my next trip.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for posting a review after your return visit to us. I'm so pleased you enjoyed your time here again and do hope that I get chance to say hello when you're back with us in May! Thanks again, Anthony.
UK
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Stayed here for 1 night-whilst working in London, lovely room level 4 near kitchen( 1 small thing-more wardrobe space please !!!!) Pantry lovely idea.Ate in restaurant-lovely menu,and good service.Did not eat breakfast there.
All staff I met were really helpful .

Room Tip: Higher floor for view
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for posting a review after your recent stay at the Great Northern. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your time with us and do hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you back some time soon. Best wishes, Anthony.