“Boutique Lux in central London”

Great Northern Hotel, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel
Ranked #153 of 1,067 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Boutique Lux in central London”
Reviewed 18 February 2014

We came here for a family birthday and at first we picked the hotel for convenience but it’s pretty much a destination hotel.

We stayed one night in one of the rooms on the top floor –( no noise at all ) rooms are small but are really well designed and decorated. I would say each room is designed to look like a luxurious mod con couchette of an old fashioned train. Bed is comfy and enough space to put any luggage away. The bathroom is tiny but I don’t think it’s a hotel to spend a week in – it’s a one or two night lux/ convenience London stop off.

There are tea and coffee making facilities in your room but at the end of each floor is a pantry with all the essentials like tea, coffee, real mugs and real milk !!! The wagon wheels, cake and jelly babies are a great touch

We had breakfast, lunch and dinner in their new restaurant – lovely food and excellent service at all times – very impressive !

I would definitely come back here whether I was staying the night or not.

Room Tip: have a room on the top floor if you can - not for view but rooms are lovely
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank frogmella2
anthony_thwaites, Director of Rooms at Great Northern Hotel, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Thank you so much for posting a review after your recent stay with us at the Great Northern. I appreciate your kind words about your time here and do hope that I get chance to say hello when you are next at the hotel. Thanks again, Anthony.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

We loved this hotel until the night drew in. Small but adequate room for a single nights stay. Well decorated, clean and great location for the Eurostar. The Pantry is a lovely touch.

Unfortunately it was a windy night. Not the fault of the hotel obviously but the sash windows and secondary glazing rattled incredibly loudly throughout the night disturbing our sleep and keeping us awake for long periods. Not quite the relaxing nights sleep we had planned before an early Eurostar journey the next morning.

We are sure the experience would be lovely on a calm weather day but feel the windows need sorting- we are in Britain afterall and can't rely on non windy days!

• Stayed February 2014
Thank you for recently staying with us and taking the time to post a review. I appreciate your kind words about the hotel and I am sorry to hear your night was disrupted by the high winds. I do believe this was an isolated experience due to the severity of the unprecedented weather that evening and certainly not the usual sound sleep our guests applaud us for. I'm sure this will not be a repeated issue should you decide to stay with us again when you are next in town. Kind regards, Anthony.
Northants
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I booked because of the location -but found I had booked a quirky and very quiet bedroom at the back of the hotel . It just what I wanted. The room was vey small and the bed was up against the window but as a single traveller that was just fine.
The staff were warm, friendly and very helpful.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
anthony_thwaites, Director of Rooms at Great Northern Hotel, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Thank you so much for posting a review after your recent stay with us at the Great Northern and I'm delighted to hear you had a pleasant and restful night. I do hope we get the chance to welcome you back to the hotel very soon. Best regards, Anthony.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014

A first rate hotel - beautiful rooms and nice staff. Service was generally near-perfect and the many little details (excellent soundproofing, blackout blinds curtains on all windows, Nespresso machine in the room, pantry with cake, Tea Pig teas, etc) are very nice. Other comments about less-than-private bathrooms are definitely true - not suitable for the very shy. If you get a room with a bath rather than shower, then you get a fabulous deep soaking tub. Bed was excellent. Food is a little expensive (allow £20 per person for a simple breakfast) and everything is a la carte, so it adds up fast. The poached eggs are about the best I've had - Benedict one day, Florentine the next, both wonderful. Ideal for catching a morning train right after breakfast, but not too early - breakfast doesn't start until 8am on Saturdays and everything is cooked to order so it takes time.

A tip: out of the front door of the hotel, directly across the street into the small side entrance to St Pancras International and you're at Eurostar check-in.

Room Tip: Soundproofing is very effective, so even front-facing rooms overlooking the roads around the station...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Simon, thank you for posting such a wonderful review after your recent stay with us at the Great Northern. I am so pleased to hear that you appreciated all the things that we think make us special too....including our amazing sound proofing! We really appreciate your very kind words and do hope that we see you back at the hotel very soon. Many thanks and best wishes, Anthony.
Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

Have been looking for a nice, good value hotel in the centre of London for years and thought I had found it. £199 room only ...... right in Kings Cross and very nice too. Check in staff fun and friendly without been smart or cheeky, room good, decor fantastic and a nice little touch with a Pantry at the end of the corridor where you can help yourself to snacks and fruit. Room was good but not sure about the Rum Body Lotion but free WiFi and comfortable. The downside - great meal but very expensive made more so but a Service Charge of £32 added onto the bill (no problem leaving a service charge but £32 seemed high to me) and then another one added to the breakfast bill.

Good place and central but food was expensive and the forced tips irked.

I would stay again as it was very nice but (probably) eat out!

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Gavin, thank you for staying with us at the Great Northern and taking the time to post a review. I appreciate your kind words regarding the room and team here and I'm very pleased that you enjoyed many of the inclusive elements we offer from the pantry to the complimentary fast Wi-Fi so, naturally, I'm disappointed that you did not think that this value extended throughout the hotel. I do hope that I get the opportunity to say hello and welcome you back to us when you are next in town. Thanks again and best wishes, Anthony.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We stayed here for one night and had a lovely time. We were early arriving and had our room upgraded which was a nice surprise (thanks very much for that!). The hotel is exquisite - beautifully furnished and decorated. Each floor has a pantry with cakes, coffee and teas - a really nice touch. The rooms are not huge but are well proportioned with fantastic tall ceilings. The bar and cocktails are good although quite expensive.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for recently staying with us at the Great Northern and posting such a lovely review. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your time at the hotel and I do hope we get chance to welcome you back when you are next in London. Best wishes, Anthony
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2014

The small reception space doesn't really do the rest of the hotel justice. Wide, spectacular corridors with dark oak floors and soft cream long runner carpets cascading down the middle. Beautiful large windows and heavy cream curtains. Each floor has a pantry with free teas and coffees and homemade cakes. A lovely touch. I had the best cosmopolitan ever in their fabulous bar. And the restaurant was gorgeously lit with flattering lighting and pretty little mirrors. Food was superlative.
My room was on the small side but very fresh and clean. Small wardrobe space and glass doors to the bathroom which I never like. Always puzzles me why some hotel designers forget that privacy in a bathroom is never a bad thing. I did like the lighting though. Easy to control and very soft. No harsh glare from spotlights (are you listening Mal Maison) All in all a good stay. Staff members were fabulous.

Room Tip: Rooms seem to either have a bath or shower. Not both. Book your preference in advance. If you're...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
anthony_thwaites, Director of Rooms at Great Northern Hotel, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this review, 8 February 2014
Poppy, thank you for such a fabulous review after your recent stay with us at the Great Northern and I'm delighted you enjoyed your time here. Our cocktails are good aren't they! I love your comments about our lighting and do hope that I get chance to say hello when you're next in town. Many thanks and best wishes, Anthony.