Great Northern Hotel, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel
Ranked #155 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Beautiful”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I have not been lucky enough to stay here yet but I have treated myself to a couple of evenings in the bar, before going home, to cocktails. By no means are they cheap at £12 plus per cocktail but oh are they worth every penny. Unfortunatly they are so nice my husband and I did end up with a £100 plus bar bill one boozy night. But each cocktail is made with care an attention unliike to mass produced cocktails in most pubs/bars. The decor is perfect. Very stylish but not over the top.it feels intimate and private. I suspect I will be seduced into another visit but I must try not to be so indulgent. A great venue for a girly night.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
anthony_thwaites, Director of Rooms at Great Northern Hotel, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Erica, thank you so much for your wonderful review and I'm delighted to hear you're such a fan of the G.N.H. bar and our amazing cocktails! I do hope that I get chance to say hello sometime when you're with us and that you get chance to treat yourself to a night at the hotel very soon. Thanks again, Anthony.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel the night before an early train to Brussels, the hotel was in the perfect location for the Eurostar. The hotel had been wonderfully decorated, Lots of attention to detail and it had been done in a sympathetic way so that the building kept its charm. The pantry at the end of the corridor was great, but it would have been better to have a kettle and tea/coffee in the room for first thing in the morning! Would have been nice for breakfast to be included too. Overall a great stay, we would use it again.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Greenman2012
Thank you so much for posting a review after your stay with us at the Great Northern. I'm delighted you enjoyed your time here and that our ideal location across the road from Eurostar worked for you. I am in the process of sourcing a small, stylish kettle to pop alongside the in room Nespresso machine, so hopefully you'll be able to make a cup of tea in your room when you are next with us. Best regards, Anthony
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2014

The hotel has just undergone a 40 million pound refit. There are deals to be had online, but £200 for chic luxury is not going to break the bank. Just one negative remark, breakfast is extra. That said, my wife and I had a superb pre-Valentines city stay. I would recommend it if you are looking for a luxury hotel with real panache and character.

Room Tip: Check out the deals online
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
anthony_thwaites, Director of Rooms at Great Northern Hotel, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Terence, thank you so much for such a lovely review and I'm delighted to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for the recommendation and I do hope that I get chance to welcome you both back to the Great Northern very soon. Best wishes, Anthony.
ipswich, suffolk, england
Reviewed 28 February 2014

We had to walk around this hotel twice before finally finding the entrance, a small unmarked doorway which looked as if it led to the restaurant. Inside was no better - no signs, just a narrow passage which, if you boldly explore, eventually leads to a small unmarked reception.

All the hotel doors need to be opened electronically with your room key. Trouble is, the touchpad is often several feet away from the door and sometimes none too obvious. Again, no signs - is it push, pull, or slide? The doors are heavy with narrow finger slots; result - two broken fingernails before we'd even reached our room.

Talking of doors, do not share a double room with someone unless you are very comfortable with each other's ablutions. In our King room the bed was close up to the small double doors of the bathroom. These glass doors (frosted but see-through) don't quite meet when closed; by design they have a half-inch gap. Not for the easily embarrassed!

Other than that, the hotel was fine, clean and tidy, and very convenient, when you find the entrance, for St Pancras & Kings Cross.

2 Thank connery
Thank you for posting a review after your recent stay with us and I'm disappointed to hear that our discreet entrance was a frustration for you. We do have doormen stationed at the entrance who clearly must have been away from the door when you arrived. We are looking at extra signage on our canopy over the entrance so hopefully this will not be an issue in the future. The frosted bathroom glass has been designed to allow as much natural daylight into the space as possible - I am sorry that this was not to your liking. I am pleased to hear that the hotel was a convenient stopover for you and do hope that you will consider us again when next in London. Best regards, Anthony
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed one night in Feb 14.

The hotel offers direct access into Kings Cross Station and in a cross the street from St Pancras the Euro star terminal so very convenient for train connections. The stations also offer Starbucks and retail etc right on your doorstep.

This is a refurbished old railway hotel and the finishes in the rooms and public areas are some of the best I have experienced in London. I paid GBP239 incl taxes which is excellent value for this level of accommodation in London.

My Cubitt room was large with free wifi and free movies. Also a Nespresso machine in room.

Love it and will stay here again.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
anthony_thwaites, Director of Rooms at Great Northern Hotel, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
John, thank you for your very kind review after your recent stay with us at the Great Northern. I'm delighted to hear you enjoyed your time at the hotel and that our amazing location was so convenient for you. I look forward to welcoming you back to us when you are next in London. Best wishes, Anthony.
Los Angeles
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We stayed in GNH two times back and forth between our trips from London to Paris. The location is perfect if you travel by Eurostar, it's literally just opposite to the St Pancras Intl station. Very easy and painless.

The first time we stayed at its Couchette room, super super small room but the high ceiling helped a lot so you don't feel the room is as small as it seems. The whole hotel and room were soooooo beautifully designed & decorated and it just looked exactly like the photos on the website (unlike so many other hotels "over-photoshopped" photos of their properties and rooms!!!). Their amenities were totally 5 stars! In fact their (MALIN+GOETZ) rum shower gel was so nice that I went to buy one from the Liberty the other day. The pantry was great too, with nespresso coffees, electric water boiler, tea bags (loved the chamomile tea bags, helped me fall asleep), treats, fruits, cakes and papers. We just enjoyed every minute of it!

So we decided to stay there again when we returned from Paris, and also decided to stay in a much bigger room ("Cubitt" as they call it). We were recognized and greeted by the Doorman which was a very lovely touch. On the website, it clearly says that "Eight of our Cubitt rooms feature stunning standalone roll top bath-tubs with a handheld shower." - so we were expecting a bath tub the minute we stepped in the room but were disappointed to find out that there's only a shower, just like the Couchette room. After all the reason why we would pay 50 pounds more for a night was to relax in a bath tub after our long trip all over Europe, while London being our last stop. So we called and asked and it apparently that you "NEED TO REQUEST A ROOM WITH BATH TUB WHEN YOU BOOK THE CUBITT ROOM ONLINE" - okay, note taken (but god knows you need to request a bath tub when you book a room right!). Anyway they managed to put us to a room with a bath tub the next night.

Despite the bath tub issue we still did have a lovely time at the GNH. The service and rooms were just impeccable, location was fantastic, food (food! The fish soup at Plum+ Split Milk was to die for!). We would definitely stay again and would recommend to everyone who's in London. Great find :)

Room Tip: If you want a bath tub at the cubitt room, make sure you request it when you book.
1 Thank EVILO
Thank you for returning to us after your recent trip to Paris and your very kind words regarding the hotel, our design and finish. We'll make a note to ensure we always give you a room with a bath tub when you choose one of our Cubitt rooms and will make sure to pop an extra one or two of the rum body gel as well! Thank you for the recommendation and I do hope that I get chance to say hello when you're next in town. Best wishes, Anthony.
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I've stayed at this hotel through work several times but this is the first review. It is excellent value for money, the rooms are spotless, bathrooms really good, food excellent and I always know I am certain of a good night's sleep here, comfortable beds and it really is quiet despite the location, staff are always friendly and the consistent service has meant this is a first choice if available. If it supplied an iron it would be a 5 review ( I know its's a girlie thing)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
anthony_thwaites, Director of Rooms at Great Northern Hotel, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Sarah, thank you so much for posting such a super review after your recent stay with us. I'm delighted you're becoming one of our 'regulars' and I'll make sure we pop an iron and board in your room next time rather that having to send it up on request. Thanks again and see you soon, Anthony