“Lovely, unique hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #157 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Loughborough, United Kingdom
“Lovely, unique hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

Definitely impressed with this hotel! The staff are incredibly welcoming and polite and the rooms are so lovely and unique! The pantry on every floor is lovely feature and has a range of tea, coffee, snacks and freshly made cake. It's also very close to St Pancras and King's Cross so was easy to locate. The only downside is that bed is quite hard and we found it uncomfortable to sleep on but other than that it was a perfect trip and I will definitely be visiting again :)

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
anthony_thwaites, Director of Rooms at Great Northern Hotel, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Sophie, thank you for your very kind words about our team and rooms after your recent stay with us at the Great Northern. Our mattresses are all made by Hypnos and our linen has a 500 thread count, however, I do understand that bed comfort is subjective to personal taste. I am pleased you enjoyed our pantry offering and our location worked so well for you. I do hope that we get chance to welcome you back to the hotel when you are next in London. Best wishes, Anthony.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

Went to the bar Saturday night beautiful building and bar ,service fantastic good music really nice vibe in there great cocktails good DJ not a lot of people in when we were there Saturday night 22.00-12.00 but really cool place recommended

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dave, thank you for posting a review and I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time in our G.N.H. bar. I do hope we get the chance to say hello when you're next over. Many thanks, Anthony
Middlesbrough, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

I stayed here in January with my partner for quick London break. We travelled to London kings cross. The hotel was located almost as soon as we got off the train. Check in was painless and the staff were very friendly. The rooms were of a decent size, for London, and very comfortable. I had an excellent night sleep. With the hotel been almost in Kings Cross it was easy to get to almost anywhere in London using the tube. I would definitely recommend this hotel and I will be staying here again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kev, thank you so much for such a great review after your recent stay with us. I'm delighted to hear you enjoyed your time at the Great Northern and that our location worked so well for your London visit. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next in town. Best wishes, Anthony.
Caerleon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

Stayed here with a friend while spending a couple of days in London for a concert.
The room was amazing and I loved the big walk-in shower. The pillows were probably the most comfortable things I've ever put my head on and we were both impressed by the communal pantry with complimentary cakes, chocolates and biscuits and a coffee machine.

We had cocktails down in the bar before going out, not cheap but you gotta spoil yourself sometimes! We were also very impressed by the breakfast (my friend's eggs with soldiers came with little wooly hats on. Simple things please simple minds, we thought that was lovely).

As for the staff, they were very lovely and helpful when we got in during the early hours and requested an extra pillow and brought it up to the room for us quickly even though they were fairly busy.

Spotlessly clean, lovely atmosphere and perfect location (especially if you aren't overly familiar with London)

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hannah, wow....thank you for such a wonderful review after your stay with us here at the Great Northern! I'm delighted to hear you appreciated all the things that we think make us special too. Many thanks for your kind words about the hotel and our team and I do hope that I get chance to say hello when you are back in London. Very best wishes, Anthony.
Bedford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

I have not been lucky enough to stay here yet but I have treated myself to a couple of evenings in the bar, before going home, to cocktails. By no means are they cheap at £12 plus per cocktail but oh are they worth every penny. Unfortunatly they are so nice my husband and I did end up with a £100 plus bar bill one boozy night. But each cocktail is made with care an attention unliike to mass produced cocktails in most pubs/bars. The decor is perfect. Very stylish but not over the top.it feels intimate and private. I suspect I will be seduced into another visit but I must try not to be so indulgent. A great venue for a girly night.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
anthony_thwaites, Director of Rooms at Great Northern Hotel, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Erica, thank you so much for your wonderful review and I'm delighted to hear you're such a fan of the G.N.H. bar and our amazing cocktails! I do hope that I get chance to say hello sometime when you're with us and that you get chance to treat yourself to a night at the hotel very soon. Thanks again, Anthony.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel the night before an early train to Brussels, the hotel was in the perfect location for the Eurostar. The hotel had been wonderfully decorated, Lots of attention to detail and it had been done in a sympathetic way so that the building kept its charm. The pantry at the end of the corridor was great, but it would have been better to have a kettle and tea/coffee in the room for first thing in the morning! Would have been nice for breakfast to be included too. Overall a great stay, we would use it again.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Greenman2012
Thank you so much for posting a review after your stay with us at the Great Northern. I'm delighted you enjoyed your time here and that our ideal location across the road from Eurostar worked for you. I am in the process of sourcing a small, stylish kettle to pop alongside the in room Nespresso machine, so hopefully you'll be able to make a cup of tea in your room when you are next with us. Best regards, Anthony
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

The hotel has just undergone a 40 million pound refit. There are deals to be had online, but £200 for chic luxury is not going to break the bank. Just one negative remark, breakfast is extra. That said, my wife and I had a superb pre-Valentines city stay. I would recommend it if you are looking for a luxury hotel with real panache and character.

Room Tip: Check out the deals online