“What a great find!”

Great Northern Hotel, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel
Ranked #168 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I stay in London a great deal with work and I am so pleased to have found this hotel. The rooms are beautifully appointed whilst the corridors leading to them are simply stunning. There is a pantry with tea and coffee available so you can use this facility for your morning cuppa! I had an issue when checking in , which I outlined to the hotel after my stay, receiving a very pleasant and personal response from the Director of Rooms, which was appreciated. The location of the hotel is fantastic and particularly good for Kings Cross and St Pancras....literally a few steps to both. I didn't try the Plum and Spilt Milk (the in-house restaurant) but the menu looked great and it is on my to-do list next time. Highly Recommended.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
anthony_thwaites, Director of Rooms at Great Northern Hotel, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Thank you so much for posting such a lovely review after your recent stay with us at the Great Northern. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and as I said in my recent email to you, please give me a shout when you are next heading over and allow me to make the arrangements for you personally. Best wishes, Anthony

Write a ReviewReviews (1,292)

Reviewed 7 April 2014

I stayed here for one night and loved it. The room was very compact but you don't need a lot of space when you are travelling alone on business anyway, and I loved the personalised playlists and free movies - a great touch. The bed was super comfy and the pantry down the hall is great for late night nibbles and a soothing herbal tea.
The staff were excellent; all I met were very professional and courteous. the decor is simple and modern and the layout is interesting and fun. I liked the quirkiness of this boutique hotel, and the excellent selection of gin and cocktails in the bar makes it a great stop off when waiting for your train home!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for recently staying with us at the Great Northern and posting a review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your time at the hotel and we all appreciate your very kind words. I do hope that we get chance to welcome you back very soon. Best wishes, Anthony

Reviewed 5 April 2014

Stayed here for three nights. Receptionist said we had been upgraded but the room (small) looked about the same as the one booked. If the upgrade was minimal why bother saying so! Otherwise staff good and friendly service. Facilities included a pantry on each floor with free coffee ( or tea) and cake, sweets etc. Great idea. Pity about the restaurant

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for posting a review after your recent stay with us and I appreciate your kind words regarding our facilities and team here at the hotel. I'm presuming you were upgraded from one of our cosier Couchette rooms to a Wainscot or Cubitt room, which do afford more floor space and larger bathrooms. Naturally, I'm disappointed to hear your comments regarding the restaurant and ask that you contact me directly at the hotel, at your convenience, so that I may address your feedback personally. Best regards, Anthony.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

This is a great boutique hotel where you get very personal service. The hotel is kept very clean as are the rooms - - everything seemed like new in my room. The pantry on each floor that provides free nespresso and local treats is an added perk. The bar is a lot of fun and they make some great cocktails! Location to transportation was very central to my needs, so would definitely stay again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the pantry since it can get loud when people congregate there for morning c...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
anthony_thwaites, Director of Rooms at Great Northern Hotel, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2014

Jaclyn, thank you for posting such a lovely review and I'm delighted to hear you enjoyed your time at the Great Northern. I do hope that we get chance to welcome you back to the hotel very soon. Best wishes, Anthony

Reviewed 28 March 2014

We enjoyed a great weekend getaway whilst in London to celebrate our 16th anniversary.

From the moment we got to the front door we received a warm welcome from their doorman Andrea who immediately helped my husband carry the luggage in.

The check in was handled swiftly and professionally by a lovely chap who then showed us to our room and explained where everything was and how everything worked.

We stayed in The Cubitt room (number 424), named after the hotel’s master builder. Though bijou in size, it's perfectly formed with all the modern mod cons you could want, all the while appointed elegantly, with bespoke Italian furniture and a very comfy bed. The bathroom is equally beautiful and very well designed.
The only constructive criticism I would give, if you are staying for more than one night, the wardrobe space is tiny so bear that in mind when packing!
Another lovely touch is that each floor has its own kitchen/pantry fully stocked with drinks, and cakes for your delight, a real homely feel and very nice touch.

Sadly we made a monumental mistake not to have dinner in their restaurant, but opted for the "Gilbert Scott" restaurant at the nearby Renaissance Hotel in St. Pancras Station (whatever you do; do not go there! We had the most awful meal, service and experience!).

Fortunately, the next morning we got to enjoy what we believe is the best breakfast we have had in our lives at the hotel's restaurant "Plum & Spilt Milk"! And trust me; we've been spoilt over the years in staying in some of the best hotels in the world, and as a Belgian epicurean who has chocolate running through my veins, I don't say this lightly!) What made it so special? Well for starters we had the brioche egg fried bread with maple syrup and berries. From the way it was presented, to the explosion of flavours in my mouth, it was simply divine! As a main we had the eggs Benedict, one of our all-time favourites and you need great eggs and a beautiful hollandaise sauce, in this case both were the BEST ever!!! I'll let the photos speak for themselves!
Finally the decaf soya latte was the best I've ever had and the service by the super friendly staff was superb.
We really look forward to going back and having dinner there in future.
I also wish to point out how utterly stunning the design and décor is of the eating room, all the details come together so beautifully, you have to see it to believe it!

But what makes this gem stand out from all the 5 star competition in London? I would say it's the attention to all the details and the genuinely friendly professional staff. We also found out the hotel is owned by one man, not a group or corporation. It’s very apparent this person has great taste and is giving us the sort of experience he would like to receive in a 5 star hotel. I had the opportunity to have a little chat with the staff at reception whilst my huisband was collecting the car. When I asked them about the owner they said “He works hard to looks after us very well, and we make sure we work hard to look after his hotel”. Wow!!! What an accolade in this day and age, it put a smile on my face and cemented our love for this place even more! So whomever you are Sir; well done and bravo for your genius concept, très chic but without any pretence.

This will now be our new favourite pied-a-terre for our stays in the Big Smoke for sure, already looking forward to the next time!

Room Tip: We had a great view overlooking the St Pancras station from the 4th floor and the double glazing ens...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sofia R

Wow....thank you so much for such a wonderful review! I am delighted you enjoyed your time at the Great Northern and appreciated all the things that we think make us special too! Our owner and the team here really appreciate your very kind words and I do hope that we get chance to say hello when you are next with us. You must try dinner in Plum + Spilt Milk when you're next at the hotel too! Thank you again and very best wishes, Anthony

Reviewed 28 March 2014

I stayed here in order to catch an early Eurostar train. Hotel location is hard to beat. Very well appointed room, the pantry on each floor is such a nice touch, welcoming and helpful staff and a great restaurant. I will certainly stay here again.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for posting a review after your recent stay with us at the Great Northern. I'm so pleased that your enjoyed your time here and that our close proximity to the Eurostar terminal worked so well for you. I do hope that we get chance to welcome you back to the hotel very soon. Best regards, Anthony

Reviewed 27 March 2014

The rooms are great, the free kitchens on each floor are a lovely touch. All in all, a modern, lovely hotel. But .... it lacks any sort of atmosphere. So an excellent place to stay if you simply need somewhere comfortable to sleep but you will be disappointed if you are expecting a boutique type hotel. And beware - do not order a Bloody Mary from the bar downstairs .... it was pretty much just a glass of Worcester Sauce with a bit of vodka. we asked for more tomato juice and were made to pay for a separate glass. I drink a lot of Bloody Marys all over the world and can quite confidently say that this was the worst I have ever tasted.......

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thomas, thank you for recently staying with us and your kind words regarding our rooms. Naturally, I'm disappointed to hear that you thought your experience lacked atmosphere as the ambiance and 'feel' of the hotel is something that we are, on the whole, applauded for. I do hope that you give us a second chance when you are next thinking of a night in London and ask that you contact me directly to look after the arrangements personally. Best regards, Anthony