“If I could give it 6 stars, I would!”

Great Northern Hotel, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel
Ranked #153 of 1,067 Hotels in London
London
“If I could give it 6 stars, I would!”
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

This hotel has it all- brilliant location, fantastic design, very well appointed rooms with comfy beds, high quality linens and a very powerful shower and a great bar. Upon arriving, we were asked if we were there for a special occasion, we replied that it was my birthday- and were promptly given a room upgrade and a voucher for two free glasses of champagne in the bar. The staff were universally friendly and the most welcoming I have ever come across in a Central London hotel. I could not recommend this hotel more highly, and it will now be my go-to hotel for any future London stays. Thank you to all of the staff for looking after us so well. P.s. Make sure you try the sandwiches in The Kiosk- fantastic!!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
anthony_thwaites, Director of Rooms at Great Northern Hotel, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Wow....thank you so much for such a wonderful review after your recent stay with us at the Great Northern. I'm delighted to hear you had such an enjoyable birthday stay and we really appreciate your very kind words about the hotel and our team! I do hope that I get chance to say hello when you are next in London. Very best wishes, Anthony.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Wales
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Really enjoyed our stay at the Great Northern Hotel. It's in a very easy to reach location directly in between St Pancras and Kings Cross, which also makes getting around London really simple for visitors. All our contact with staff on reception and in the bar later on was excellent - polite and helpful. I had wondered whether being next to enormous train stations would be a problem, but secondary glazing means there is no noise pollution in the rooms.

The room we had was small but beautifully set out with all mod cons including free wifi. We popped into the bar in the evening when returning from our night in central London and were pleased to find it had a lovely atmosphere and rather delicious (if rather expensive!) cocktails. In the morning we made use of the take away cafe Kiosk and enjoyed a tasty sandwich outside in the sunshine.

It's the best located hotel I've stayed at in London - something like 6 tube lines available from outside the front door. As we were only in London for 2 days this allowed us to get around easily and cheaply (no need for taxis at all) and get to see everything we were interested in. I'd definitely recommend.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
anthony_thwaites, Director of Rooms at Great Northern Hotel, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Doug, thank you so much for such a wonderful review after your recent stay with us at the Great Northern. I am delighted that you enjoyed your time at the hotel and that our fantastic location and connectivity to many underground lines worked so well for your weekend away. I do hope that I get chance to say hello when you are next thinking of some time away. Best wishes, Anthony.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Aesthetically pleasing, this hotel seems to have thought in advance of your every need. It is one of the best places in London I have ever stayed and fantastic value for the money. Elegant and stylish, there is even a pantry at the end of the corridors - if you missed breakfast you could always help yourself to a coffee and a caramel wafer! I'd come back again, and I'd tell my friends. Very comfortable beds too and crafty and nifty rooms with every thing you could possibly want.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Denise_Manchester_12
Denise, thank you so much for such a wonderful review and I'm pleased to hear that you appreciated al the things that we think are special too! Many thanks for the recommendation and I do hope that I get chance to say hello when you are next in town. Best wishes, Anthony
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Stayed the weekend at The Great Northern Hotel. Loved it. Friendly staff, great bar scene and cocktails and The Food in Plum + Spilt Milk was fantastic. Loved the Pantry at the end of the hall with coffee, cake, bickies and sweets, nice touch. Very comfy beds and beautifully appointed rooms. Clever bathroom mirrors that don't steam up as they're heated - nice touch. Will definately be back very soon - thank guys.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for recently staying with us for the weekend and I'm delighted you enjoyed your time at the Great Northern. Thank you for your kind words regarding the bar and restaurant and I do hope that we get chance to welcome you back to the hotel again very soon. Best wishes, Anthony.
South Yorkshire
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I visited the Plum and Spilt Milk (GNH restaurant) in summer and the best waitress ever extolled the virtues of the hotel's and its multi - million pound facelift. Normally, it's rates are out of my price bracket - but needing a hotel for a Sunday night - was pleasantly surprised that price-wise it was only slightly dearer than the one promoted by Mr Henry. Its a lovely hotel - with the added advantage of being in Kings Cross Station.

Yes my room was small - but as I was only there for one night - and alone - this wasn't as issue. The standard of the bed, fixtures, fittings etc. was great. Be prepared for one or two delightful surprises - the first being The Pantry - a DIY refreshments station on each floor with state of the art coffee machine, high quality teas, biscuits, sweets, books to borrow, newspapers magazine - and best of all home made cake in a magnificent cake dome.

Next surprise? The mini bar. G&T - £3.00; box of Malteasers - £1.50; full sized coke - £0.80. So fairly priced - it forces you to be honest about what you're had!

The Mr Henry Hotels in the vicinity both suffer from being noisy - especially the one on Euston Road. I honestly could hear no outside noise from what is one of the busiest roads in London.

My only quibble - as the room was small with only a small window - the purple décor and beautiful wood panelling did make the room quite dark, despite the large, most beautiful mirror I've ever seen in a hotel room.

Will I be back - definitely if I can secure a room in the same ball park price range as the other hotels in the same vicinity.

Smashing toiletries; bathrobes etc. and great service. ,

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you so much for recently staying with us at the Great Northern and posting such a wonderful review. I am delighted that you appreciated all the things that we think make us special too and please keep an eye on our website for more offers, including Sunday night deals. As you were in a Wainscot room in the roof of the building last time maybe try one of our Cubit rooms on your next stay with us? Many thanks and best wishes, Anthony
Westcliff on Sea Essex
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We stayed here to meet our daughter off the train at St Pancras; she's at University in Nottingham. We stayed in a superior room and benefited from a pantry on the floor and other extra bits and pieces. The room was a little small but it's an old listed building so it was to be expected I guess. The buiding itself has been recently refurbished and is beautiful and all the public areas including the bars and restaurant were very nice. The service was very good and the meal we had in the Plum and Spilt Milk restaurant was excellent. All in all it is a good choice if you are in and around the Kings Cross area and whilst it isn't cheap it is reasonable value for quality of the establishment.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
anthony_thwaites, Great Northern Hotel at Great Northern Hotel, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Steve, thank you so much for recently staying with us at the Great Northern and I really appreciate your very kind words regarding your time at the hotel. I'm delighted you enjoyed the experience and do hope that we get chance to welcome you back when you are next catching up with your daughter. Best wishes, Anthony