“Very good but the rooms are too small”

Great Northern Hotel, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel
Ranked #149 of 1,089 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Very good but the rooms are too small”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

This hotel is lovely and its location is brilliant. The problem is that they have squeezed in far too many rooms so the rooms are tiny. When we stayed it was in the biggest of the three styles of rooms and it was still very small. The pictures on the website make the rooms look much larger than they are. The bathroom was so close to the bed and it had a glass twin swing door that had a gap in the middle so it was hardly private. The bed was really comfortable though and and it was quiet for a good nights sleep. The bar downstairs is really nice and the pantry idea at the end of each corridor is quirky and kind of works. Worth a try.

Room Tip: When they are all the same price choose the biggest!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Craig1976
anthony_thwaites, Director of Rooms at Great Northern Hotel, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Craig, thank you for posting a review after your recent stay with us and I am glad to hear that there were many aspects of your time at the hotel that you enjoyed. Being a listed building we have had to keep the layout of our rooms within their original position so I'm sorry to hear that you found the space too small. I do hope that we get chance to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future and ask that you contact me directly next time to allow me to deal with your reservation personally. Best regards, Anthony.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Cologne, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

I really not understand the negative comments ....???
I was afraid to book because of the negativ comments
Me and my daughter we was surprised how good the hotel is .
Everything is perfect ! The room , service the staff etc . Even bed and pillow are perfect ! We'll come back

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
anthony_thwaites, Director of Rooms at Great Northern Hotel, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
So nice to hear such wonderful feedback about our hotel.. Our beds are made by Hypnos , by royal appointment, so firm but very comfortable bedding which is enhanced by a 500 thread count linen so delighted you had such a good sleep.We look very forward to welcoming you back in the future so please come and see us very soon! Best wishes, Anthony
Grenoble, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

I've already spent a night in this hotel last summer. The stay is always a dream. No better place if you travel from/to Saint Pancras or Kings Cross. It's really clean and quiet. The staff is really welcoming and helpful. They helped me with my connexion to internet. The pantry is always delightful.

Room Tip: The single rooms are tiny but there are other rooms. For me the single room is big enough.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Thank you, so nice to hear your very kind comments, we do always strive to impress! Glad you noticed and look forward to seeing you in the future where I hope we continue to impress you even more. Very best wishes. Anthony
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

Stayed in this hotel the night before getting on the Eurostar. The hotel has a great feel about it. I would have given 5 stars for this but I did have a slight issue with our room. We were up on the top floor in the eaves, there was a window but very small and high up, the room although small was adequate for an overnight stay, but the walls had been painted a very dark colour so made the room feel smaller and remained dark, the lighting was inadequate for such a dark room (it felt a little like a cave) Walls should be white to make it feel bigger. The little kitchen at the end of the corridor is a nice touch as is the nespresso machine in the room. The highlight of our stay was having a meal in the plum and spilt milk restaurant it was excellent. The restaurant had a great atmosphere, and good priced food. I will defiantly be returning to this hotel again on my next trip

Room Tip: Try and choose a room not in the eaves on the top floor
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Lindsey, thank you for recently staying with us and posting a review - I'm delighted to hear you enjoyed your time at the hotel and that our close proximity to Eurostar worked so well for you. Our Wainscot rooms are decorated in a more romantic and opulent style to our other room types, so maybe one of our lighter Cubitt rooms may be more suitable for your next visit - they have large sash windows, high ceilings and are painted in a relaxing shade of olive green. We really appreciate your kind words regarding the hotel and Plum + Spilt Milk and look forward to welcoming you back to the Great Northern when you are next in London. Many thanks, Anthony.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

Our experience at Great Northern Hotel was truly appalling. The room we were given was closer to the size of a cupboard than a hotel room, there wasn't even room to walk around the foot of the bed - you had to climb over it! Considering what we paid, in my opinion this was an absolute rip-off! I have spoken with another couple who also stayed there and they were of the same opinion. I am fairly easy-going, but I feel quite strongly that what this hotel is offering is simply unacceptable.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here
6 Thank LarysaW
Naturally, I’m disappointed to hear your comments regarding your time with us - your room type on this occasion was our Couchette room - these smaller rooms being our interpretation of the railway sleeper carriage. Our Wainscot and Cubitt rooms are larger and, of course, attract a premium rate. These rooms may be a more suitable option should you choose to stay with us in the future. If you do decide to visit us again when you are next in London please contact me directly at the hotel and allow me to make the arrangements for you personally. Kind regards, Anthony
Leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

Not stayed before but would highly recommend it. From start to finish the staff were fantastic. Good room and excellent service. Breakfast was delicious. Travelling from Leeds the gnh is also in a really good location

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Hello and thank you so much for the super feedback! Hope you come back and stay with us again very soon, best wishes. Anthony
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

Good location and nice hotel. Rooms a little small ,and when I booked online I was given the option of different rooms. However when we booked in, we didn't get the room we asked for.
Also, the room was very very hot ,and it was impossible to open the windows. We asked at reception about the air con and they said they would send someone up to have a look whilst we were out.
On return, the room was hotter that ever, so we spent some time in the corridor as it was a lot cooler.
There is also a weird pantry type room are the end of the corridor that guests can use to make tea and coffee. I would prefer that in the room.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for posting a review after your recent stay with us - naturally, I'm disappointed to hear about the issues regarding your room allocation and air conditioning and ask that you contact me directly at the hotel when you are next thinking of a night away in London and allow me to deal with your reservation personally. On the whole, our pantries receive positive feedback but I am in the process of sourcing a small kettle for the rooms that will hopefully be in place should you chose to stay with us again in the future. Kind regards, Anthony.