“Excellent small hotel”

Great Northern Hotel, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel
Ranked #168 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed 8 May 2014

This was our second stay in a matter of months and again it did not disappoint. The staff are very friendly and nothing is too much trouble especially in the bar and restaurant. As far as London prices are concerned this hotel represents excellent value for money and is very convenient for rail connections especially Kings Cross which is just accross the street.

1  Thank Stuart T
anthony_thwaites, Director of Rooms at Great Northern Hotel, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Stuart, thank you so much for such a lovely review......it was great to have you back with us. I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay at the Great Northern and we appreciate your kind words about the hotel and team. I do hope that I get chance to say hello when you are next in town. Best wishes, Anthony.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,292)

Reviewed 7 May 2014

The perfect location if you are going to be traveling by train from any of the three train stations in the area.
The rooms are comfortable and surprisingly quiet, especially the ones on the backside of the building next to the train station!
Unlike most major hotels, Great Northern Hotel does not guarantee that they will give you the best rate. (You will get the best rates if you first check on discount websites like Hotels.com).
The staff was very good and made every effort to ensure our stay was perfect.

Room Tip: The quietest rooms are on the backside of the hotel overlooking the Kings Cross Train Station.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
anthony_thwaites, Director of Rooms at Great Northern Hotel, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Thank you so much for such a great review after your recent stay with us and I'm delighted to hear that you appreciated our amazing location and sound proofing. I would always recommend contacting the hotel direct or via our website for the best rates and offers. I do hope that we get the chance to welcome you back to the hotel when you are next in London. Very best wishes, Anthony.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Perfectly situated on the door step of Kings Cross St Pancras Station. Staff were attentive. This lovely boutique hotel provides luxury bedrooms which are furnished to a very high standard. We stayed in a Wainscot room on the fifth floor with a great view over Kings Cross Station & London. On each floor there is a pantry which has a Nespresso coffee machine, Teapigs and fresh sliced cake, sweets, newspapers and magazines which you can help yourself to. The only down side that we found was that the hotel bar charged a 10% service charge! However overall we highly recommend this hotel and we are planning to visit again next month

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Nicola, thank you so much for such a lovely review after your recent stay with us and I'm delighted you enjoyed your time at the Great Northern. We really appreciate the recommendation and do hope that we get chance to welcome you back to the hotel some time soon. Very best wishes, Anthony

Reviewed 6 May 2014

I booked this hotel for a brief weekend break mostly because it was a quality hotel close to our train station (Kings Cross/St Pancras) and therefore convenient for us to drop off/pick up our bags. It is excellent for this (1 minute from the stations) but booking it for that reason alone does the hotel a disservice. The hotel has a lovely boutique feel about it, every fixture and fitting is of a very high quality, the staff are lovely as is the bar and the rooms have a great homely feel. The pantry with free coffee, cake and snacks is also a lovely touch. The only complaint (and I'm really struggling to find one here) is that there were no bath-robes in the room. Overall a brilliant hotel and one I will be returning too irrespective of how I'm travelling to London.

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper floors are very quiet compared to most London hotels I have visited.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Phil, thank you so much for such a lovely review after your weekend stay with us at the Great Northern. I'm delighted that you had such an enjoyable time here and that our location worked so well for you. My apologies for the lack of robes - we normally offer two in every room, which clearly were not in place on this occasion - thank you for the feedback. I'm so pleased that you appreciated all the things that we think make us special too and I do hope that I get chance to say hello when you are next in London. Very best wishes, Anthony.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Stayed here for one night recently during a trip to London for the theatre. Check-in is friendly although a bit awkward with 3 staff behind one small desk but soon we were on our way – shown to our room and shown the supporting areas by someone who was very friendly and knew when to leave. The room did not have the ideal view but we wanted one with a shower rather than a bath, so we gave that up. It was very comfortable though and very peaceful and quiet. The kitchen at the end of the floor was always stocked with goodies and nice coffee machine.

In terms of location the tube stations are very convenient if you are not staying in the local area. Breakfast was a bit expensive but we had a credit to use which was nice – very nice setting and food in the restaurant. The prices are high as you would expect, but if you are happy to pay them then you'll find a comfortable and enjoyable experience.

Room Tip: If you prefer a shower or a bath be sure to ask since many rooms have one or the other.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Bob, thank you for posting a review after your recent stay with us and I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time at the hotel. I do hope that we get chance to welcome you back again very soon. Best regards, Anthony.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

If you're Kent-based like me and you're looking for a day out in London, you MUST stay at the Great Northern Hotel. It's next door to the St.Pancras International Station and next to both Kings Cross tube and a very large taxi rank, so you can't go far wrong for transport in and around London. The hotel is only a year old and it's very nice. The check in staff we're really personable, the rooms are very nice indeed (we stayed in a Cubit room), the beds are very comfortable, the shower is fantastic and you also get free wi-fi and free films! We ate breakfast at the Plum & Spilt Milk which is located on the 1st floor and that was very good indeed. I recommend the full English breakfast. You can get a cheaper breakfast in London, but this restaurant is pretty special and MUST be experienced at least once. Check out was easy and they were even happy to hold onto our bags free of charge whilst we took a trip up the Thames before returning to St.Pancras and our train home. A great hotel. I WILL be going back to The Great Northern Hotel!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Rob, thank you so much for such a wonderful review after your recent stay with us. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your time here and we all really appreciate your very kind words. I do hope that I get chance to say hello on your next visit to the Great Northern. Thanks again and best wishes, Anthony.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

The hotel couldn't be more convenient for anybody staying in London (national, international trains & tubes right on your door step)
The rooms are beautiful and full of detail, The bed is one of the most comfortable you'll ever stay in. The pantry at the end of the corridor, full of treats for a midnight snack, is a fantastic addition.
I had a room on the 5th floor, the views stunning and without a decibel of outside noise- perfect for a great nights sleep. The staff are some of the friendliest I've ever met, making my 2 nights stay perfect.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Wow Rob.....thank you for such a wonderful review after your recent stay at the Great Northern! I am so pleased you had such a good time with us and we really appreciate your very kind words. I do hope that I get chance to say hello when you are next in town. Very best wishes, Anthony.