Great Northern Hotel, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel
US$151
US$115
Agoda.com
1,349 results
All reviewscubitt roomkings crossplum and spilt milkst pancrascouchette roomjelly babiesgnh barnespresso machinefree moviesearly eurostarkings xmake teapancras stationrooms are smallcorner roomlovely hotelhanging space
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Lovely hotel with high quality furnishings and features throughout! We were given a free upgrade and stayed on the 5th floor. What astounded us was how quiet it was! You really couldn't hear a thing outside! We didn't eat in the hotel but did go into the bar which was very stylish and not overpriced at all. Would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My sister and I recently stayed at the Great Northern Hotel when we were in London. This was a great location for us as we had to catch a very early train and St. Pancras was just across the street. The team who checked us in were very professional and helpful. Rachel personally showed us to our room (also lugging my very heavy suitcase) and also the amenities on the floor. The rooms were compact but were very clean and the beds comfortable. We also had dinner in the restaurant and the food was extremely good and the service was top notch. We also had some inquiries as to obtaining telephone numbers and the front desk staff were very helpful. We enjoyed our stay very much. Thanks

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Second stay here this time for 2 nights.Even nicer .Had breakfast both mornings,all cooked to order ,and delicous.
Offered a free upgrade on checking in .On 4th floor ,near pantry.No noise- at all.
Again lovely selection of teas,cakes and newspapers and magazines. Really ,really nice place to stay whilst on business in London.
Would always choose this hotel now if staying over .

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Walking in from the metropolis of Kings Cross station which the hotel almost extends directly out of- is like taking a step into a different world.

It nods to the old fashioned mode of rail travel, when you could expect drinks served to your chair when rail was more for leisure than purpose. The lacquered wood finish, the suave staff and the bustling bar create an immediate impression.

Shown up directly to my room I was maybe a little disappointed that it was on the compact size- it was also a disabled room, which at first posed no issues, but actually when using the shower it worked more as a large wet room, which for non disabled users is maybe a little disconcerting for those expecting a 'luxury bathroom'. The view out the back of the hotel is over the new roof of the Kings Cross terminal, which is a like blimp style space ship- I didn't love it.

I was moved to a room on the 1st floor and, again compact, without a bath- but everything had a place. Everything thought through and slowly the touches that make the hotel stand out become apparent. The USB ports on the wall by the bed, the TV with 75 free movies, the Nespresso machine and a fantastic pantry for each floor full of cakes, sweets, tea pigs tea and yet more coffee. The corridors are wide, beige yet calming and shut out all noise from the hub-bub outside.

The restaurant is great, but the bill for a two course meal, one carafe of wine and a couple of cocktails came to £133. This is not cheap. it is lovely, but it ranks as one of the more expensive meals I have had in a London restaurant. The chef serves up a range of modern classics with a fusion twist and it is all served with attention to detail by the fantastic staff.

I slept very well, the bed is exceptionally comfy and the noise from the St Pancras terminal almost non existent.

I would and will absolutely return, 24 hours was not quite enough, I didn't even have time to enjoy the G.N.H bar on the ground floor where you can watch the football and see the world pass you by.

A gym would be a nice addition, yet with London on your doorstep on a nice sunny day- you can run with a view across one of the worlds great cities; and then return to your oasis and pretend you are part of a different class of traveller…if even for a few hours.

Room Tip: I stayed in a Cubitt room which is compact yet perfectly formed. Room 104 has a view of St Pancras station.
1  Thank alastairwhatley
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I recently stayed at the Great Northern Hotel on business and was very impressed with the location and excellent quality of the décor and furnishings. First impressions were excellent and the young man that checked me in was very helpful. The rooms are very compact as you might expect in this location where space is at a premium, but they're beautifully decorated and furnished. My colleagues and I returned to the bar later in the evening and requested some snacks or nibbles to accompany our drinks but were told that this wasn't possible - a minor detail and certainly didn't spoil our enjoyment of the buzzing bar atmosphere.

The pantry at the end of each corridor is a wonderful touch and the complimentary snacks were very welcome after a few drinkies in the bar (wagon wheels!).

Breakfast in Plum and Split Milk was outstanding. My american colleague had the salt beef hash and raved about it. I opted for the healthier option of buckwheat crepe with fruit - it was perfectly cooked and absolutely delicious. My only (minor) criticism was that we had to stand up and ask for waiter assistance when we needed something as the wait staff were all busy folding napkins and talking amongst themselves and hadn't noticed us waving to try to attract attention.

A similar experience occurred at check-out the next morning when something happening elsewhere in the hotel appeared to consume the three people standing by the reception area and although check out was handled very efficiently and quickly, no courtesies were extended 'e.g. good bye, thank you, have a nice day,' as attention immediately returned to whatever they had been working on previously. Again, a relatively small blip in an otherwise excellent stay but with a little more attention to the customer service, I would have rated this hotel as excellent rather than very good.